Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I remember watching a run of Super amazing wagon adventure during a GDQ last year, it looked pretty silly and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Tower Climb gets pretty buck wild if you've got what it takes to get through the lower floors of the tower.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Everspace (1/4)
Everspace (2/4)
Everspace (3/4)
Everspace (4/4)

Here's a two hour space oddysey for ya

gently caress space

:siren: OH NO IT'S TIME TO PICK A GAME :siren:

Neon Chrome
A masterful combination of top-down shooter and endless replayability with procedural levels. Blast your way through walls & enemies with guns and cybernetic abilities. Install perks from cyber chambers and upgrade your character stats after each death. Can you stop the Overseer?

Brut@l
A modern re-imagining of the classic ASCII dungeon crawler. Choose your hero and descend into a procedurally generated world constructed entirely from ASCII letters. Can you survive?

Death Road to Canada
Control a car full of jerks as they explore cities, recruit weird people, rescue dogs, argue with each other, and face gigantic swarms of slow zombies. Randomly generated for a new story and rare events every time you play!

Karate Bastard posted:

It tells me the wheel is full. "Visit our Business page to purchase a wheel with beyond 100 rogues on it", apparently.

I'll take a look and probably add the games everyone above suggested to the wheel when I get a chance. Usually I just throw in a new game whenever I clear an old one off the list, because I haven't found better (or more fun) way of keeping a giant list of stuff to pick from.

von Metternich posted:

I'd love to see you try Occult Quest, it's an odd little game and I've never seen much talk about it.
Not able to find anything about this game though. Is this an actual real game or a literal occult quest where I have to become a wizard to call it out of the eternal dreaming?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
In the first video you talk about something that I find myself really disliking about Rogue-lites, which are the incremental unlocks you gain as you play and lose over and over. I really dislike how many games in the rogue-lite genre rely on having a game that is unbeatable without investing X amount of time into failed runs before you reach the requisite amount of grind. Some games, like Bind of Isaac, handle a concept like that well but it feels like many rogue-lite style games now rely on forcing you to grind through many failed playthroughs to artificially extend the length of the game. I'm one of 'those' people who generally prefer a standard roguelike, such as ADOM, over a rogue-lite and I think part of that is something like ADOM or Nethack may require a lot of foreknowledge to consistently win but a player who gets lucky can still win. I also feel like in many rogue-lites, even with an entire wiki of spoilers you'll still end up losing constantly due to the required ramping powerlevel, while in ADOM having spoilers even a new player could possible go the distance. I also don't need to play 15 times to grind enough Ascension Coins in Nethack to unlock being able to find cloaks of magic resistance or a helm of telepathy.

Anyway, I vote Brut@al

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah I'm not a fan of games that aren't designed to be beaten in one run through. The upgrades should be there to make it easier for you, not mandatory for progress — at least that's my feeling for Roguelites.

Brut@al is my vote too.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

A cool looking game ruined by a real bad idea, even by non-rogue game standards, taken to its inevitable conclusion. Too bad, the game it could have been without mandating hundreds of hours of gameplay might have been a lot of fun.

Death Road to Canada though Brut@l is a winner too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Brut@l please!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Brut@l actually looks like a game, unlike it's ascii ancestor, voting for that.

Death Road and Neon Chrome (love all that studios top down stuff tbh) are both good times.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Neon Chrome for maximum cyberpunk.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Death road to Canada, shits hilarious. I think it's highwang that has some amazing streams of that

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Voting Brut@l. Looks more fun to watch.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Brut@l

8=D~

:siren: NEXT GAME PICKSIES :siren:

Abandon Ship
In Abandon Ship you take command of a ship and her crew, exploring a diverse, procedurally generated world and engaging enemy vessels in tactical combat. The game focuses on “Age of Sail” ships in a Fantasy setting, framed in an Art Style inspired by classic Naval Oil Paintings.

Slay the Spire
We fused card games and roguelikes together to make the best single player deckbuilder we could. Craft a unique deck, encounter bizarre creatures, discover relics of immense power, and Slay the Spire!

20XX
Hello it's me the mega man, nice to meet you, perhaps you've heard of me?

Pick one of these games, oh boy!!!

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014
That looked very stiff, or at least the jumping did.

Oof, slay the spire is good, 20XX is very good.
But I've never heard of Abandon Ship, so lets see that!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Abandon Ship. Hard to choose between all three of these, I hope they all get a turn sometime.

Brut@l looked very cool, but it seems like a good game isn't quite there. Unfortunate!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I'm going to vote for Slay the Spire because I know it's a good game, and also I'm having trouble reading what the other two are after that Brut@l game eyefucked me. :psypop:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Abandon Ship. :colbert:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Abandon Ship even though I have a feeling this will not be on par with Sunken Sea.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm gonna go with Abandon Ship.

On an unrelated note, I saw your Mario Kart Wii video on ultra shortcuts cross-linked by the AV Club. Look at you, getting big name(?) recognition!

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Party Bug posted:

Not able to find anything about this game though. Is this an actual real game or a literal occult quest where I have to become a wizard to call it out of the eternal dreaming?

Hm, that's probably because it's called Occult Chronicles and I'm dumb. Sorry!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Very surprised Abandon Ship is winning, I definitely expected Slay the Spire to be the more popular vote. We'll see if it stays that way come Monday.

That said, Abandon Ship is actually the game nobody has probably played so I'm pretty satisfied with that.

dscruffy1 posted:

On an unrelated note, I saw your Mario Kart Wii video on ultra shortcuts cross-linked by the AV Club. Look at you, getting big name(?) recognition!
I get really drunk sometimes so I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I think the guy that made that video isn't me. It would be cool if it was because it's a pretty nice video though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Party Bug posted:

I get really drunk sometimes so I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I think the guy that made that video isn't me. It would be cool if it was because it's a pretty nice video though.

Oh weird, I mixed up the Summoning Salt names then. Not sure how that happened.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Don't worry in 5 years when I finish this LP I'll make a 10 hour long video essay on roguelike design and then sail away on my youtube money yacht.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Picturing you and a bunch of symphony rockers setting off from the grey havens to sail past the curvature of the earth to the old west

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Why isn't Slay the Spire winning?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AweStriker posted:

Why isn't Slay the Spire winning?

I assume because many people here have already played it.

That's why I'm voting for Abandon Ship.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Abandon Ship (1/2)

nice water

:siren: WACK VIDEO GAMES :siren:

Just Get Through

Infectonator: Survivors

Cthon

Pick one of those things!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cthon looks like old school good times.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Cthon because the other two don't look very interesting.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cthon because it looks the best.

Also I'm pleasantly surprised that this is a nice enough FTL-like.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

AltaBrown posted:

Cthon because the other two don't look very interesting.

Same.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Abandon Ship (2/2)

amazing water!!!

Expect Cthon next week. Spoiler: It's not great.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm pleasantly surprised that Abandon Ship is good. The trailer wasn't super impressive, and I based my expectations that it wouldn't live up to Sunless Sea on that.

Too bad Cthon didn't live up to the promise of the Doomlike design. Hopefully it's at least okay and not dull.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Cthon

This ones for you, John.

:siren: VOTE ZONE :siren:

Heart&Slash
Fight as Heart, an innocent robot fighting to escape the grip of mindless machines in a future where humans are no more. A fast-paced 3D brawler with roguelike elements set in a colorful yet desolated world.

bit Dungeon II
bitDungeon II is fast action-adventure game with a giant overworld to explore. You are a spirit in an undead world of demons. Your "loved one's " grave has been desecrated. Fight through these corrupted lands, and bring peace to her soul.

In Celebration of Violence
A fantasy action roguelike of exploration and murder. Live, kill, die, improve, live again.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I dig the atmosphere but sadly yeah, that and the far too faithful retro-Doom aesthetic are all it looks like it has going for it; actually comes off as the serious goth brother of Rogue Shooter. Speaking of original Doom, modern source ports do have mouselook and even jumping, and there's plenty of different recently made WADs out there to try if even after getting hi-res mods the original map design is still not to your taste. I would have links to pictures and videos of good and fun mods, but I can't find the Doom thread in Games (might have been eaten by the old FPS thread).

In Celebration of Violence

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 23, 2018

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Well that was garbage.

bitDungeon II next, that looks like it could be fun.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I've played bitDungeon II. It's only okay, not great.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I have no idea what I'm looking at, but In Celebration of Violence looks like... something.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 23, 2018

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
I want to see you tackle ICoV

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
In Celebration of Violence looks kinda neat.

Cthon had nothing on Doom's gameplay, it was so slow and static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Can I suggest Triangle Wizard, it is fairly fun and free.

Also my vote is for ICoV.