Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
ICoV loving owns even though I never got the hang of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
How would you feel about a game of Nimbatus?

https://i.imgur.com/Yqv9Qat.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6PGznAe.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/n1cIfIQ.mp4

Gallery

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The logical endpoint of Captain Forever?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

In Celebration of Violence

The Dark Souls of games that are a little like Dark Souls.

:siren: NICE LOOKING GAMES :siren:

I'll be on vacation for a week so who knows when the next video will be, but here's what the wheel giveth:

Dig Dog
An action roguelike digger. Dig to discover treasure, adventure and bones! Jump, dash, stomp and dig your way through a strange world inhabited by stranger creatures.

Revenge of the Headless
A brick adventure game. Every time will change the dungeon, use your head to kill a blood road, Durahan.

The Swords of Ditto
The Swords of Ditto is a roguelite action RPG that creates a unique adventure for each new hero of legend in the relentless fight against the evil Mormo.

Karate Bastard posted:

How would you feel about a game of Nimbatus?
yes!!!!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Speaking of original Doom, modern source ports do have mouselook and even jumping, and there's plenty of different recently made WADs out there to try if even after getting hi-res mods the original map design is still not to your taste. I would have links to pictures and videos of good and fun mods, but I can't find the Doom thread in Games (might have been eaten by the old FPS thread).
I probably should have realized people have done this. Maybe I'll play some Doom after all.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
No idea what Dig Dog will turn out to be, but voting for it because the other two I am voting against.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

e: ^ If you want to maintain your innocence do not make the mistake of watching the actual trailer like I did.

Glad to see a name like that didn't go to waste.

The Swords of Ditto pretty clearly looks to have the most going for it, as opposed to generic roguelike platformer #6988 and a Breakout! roguelike.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The Swords of Ditto

Yeah, if Swords of Ditto is what I think it is, it should be super cute light fun.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Yeah, Swords of Ditto seems like it'll be the most fun to watch.

Also, I picked up Renowned Explorers yesterday because of your videos of it. It's really fun! Thanks for showing it off!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Just tossing Wizard of Legend into the mix, looks really interesting, kinda an enter the gungeon feel to it.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

biosterous posted:

Also, I picked up Renowned Explorers yesterday because of your videos of it. It's really fun! Thanks for showing it off!
Renowned Explorers is really good and I want to do a proper LP of it someday. Someday...

Nalesh posted:

Just tossing Wizard of Legend into the mix, looks really interesting, kinda an enter the gungeon feel to it.
That one has been on my radar for a bit, looks pretty good. Maybe I'll break the rules and just do it, or do a stream of it, or something.

In other news Swords of Ditto is A-OK from my brief look, seems like the fixed a lot of the stuff I read was bad about it. Gonna be a long rear end video though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Break the rules so I can see if I should buy it :v:

Seriously though, I agree that Renowned Explorers needs a full lp soomeday, there just seems to be so much stuff in it.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
If you like Renowned Explorers, I recommend another game called Curious Expedition. It's very similar thematically and a quite fun roguelike, though much more basic than Renowned Explorers

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The Swords of Ditto (1/2)

I love Zelda and when he swings the sword and sets the bomb!!!

:siren: VOTE ON SOME STUFF :siren:

Monolith
Monolith is a top down action shooter with procedurally generated elements. Explore a large, abandoned facility in search of incredible power, fighting dangerous foes and gaining new weapons and upgrades as you progress.

Wizard of Legend
WIZARD BATTLE

DragoDino
DragoDino is a 2D rogue platformer on PC/Mac/Linux. That's literally all it says on the Steam page.

CountryMatters posted:

If you like Renowned Explorers, I recommend another game called Curious Expedition. It's very similar thematically and a quite fun roguelike, though much more basic than Renowned Explorers
I'll check it out at some point! I have heard of it, but I've always had RE, so I've never wanted to risk a 'downgrade', so to speak.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Monolith

quote:

I'll check it out at some point! I have heard of it, but I've always had RE, so I've never wanted to risk a 'downgrade', so to speak.

It's not a downgrade so much as a side-grade. Very different gameplay, a different take on the same theme. It's like having two cakes, which is cool. I'd rec both.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

At the surprise of absolutely no one, Wizard of Legend :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wizard of Legend is a fun game. I even backed it on Kickstarter after seeing a promo video for it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Monolith.
Because its incredibly stylish and has the good musics

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Of the three: DragoDino looks generic, Monolith looks like the kind of game I want to play, and Wizard of Legend is the kind of game I play.

No offense to DragoDino, it just looks like any other platformer except with cute graphics. And the co-op gimmick isn't something that's liable to show up in a video here.

I love Wizard of Legend but... I really want to see more of Monolith because it looks neat.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If the Game Boy had retained the Pocket form factor and continued to be produced today, evolving only reluctantly, it might have a game like Monolith on it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

You're a Wizard of Legend, Harry.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Wizard of Legend

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'll give DragoDino a little credit and say it's got a nice art style and is definitely more of a game than the dog game from an earlier round, but it's still not even a little competitive with the other options.

Wizard of Legend should be a good time.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Monolith.
Because its incredibly stylish and has the good musics

Yes this. Wizard of whatever has a dumb and boring title so I assume the game itself is probably the same.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
[quote="Party Bug" post="489051604"]

The Swords of Ditto (2/2)

Another long one.

In other news it looks like there's a tie, so maybe I'll just do them both? Also look out for that Renowned Explorers LP, it's comin'. ITS COMIN

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Party Bug posted:

[quote="Party Bug" post="489051604"]

The Swords of Ditto (2/2)

Another long one.

In other news it looks like there's a tie, so maybe I'll just do them both? Also look out for that Renowned Explorers LP, it's comin'. ITS COMIN

The best timeline.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Wizard of Legend

This is a good game. Next is Monolith!

In other news the Renowned Explorers LP is live over here, for those that haven't noticed.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That was fun to watch. I think I'll grab the game, but which platform?

I've been looking for an excuse to grab more things for my Switch. Does it play well there, thread, or should I stick to PC?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Well it's more a choice between portability, or modding.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Ditto looks cute and all, but I just don't think roguelike works with the zelda formula. It made the puzzles shamefully bad as you observed and the whole thing just feels really parsed down to accommodate being random.

Regarding your mention if it in the first ditto video, I don't get what people were doing to have trouble with skyward sword's controls, they never gave me any issue personally. It keeps coming up though that half the people who played it seemed to feel it was completely uncontrollable.

Was it the angle at which the sensor was mounted compared to where the controller was? Was it the way people tried to do the motions (if anything more than your wrist was getting any exercise from it, you were probably doing it wrong)? One of the great mysteries of our time.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

Ditto looks cute and all, but I just don't think roguelike works with the zelda formula. It made the puzzles shamefully bad as you observed and the whole thing just feels really parsed down to accommodate being random.

I mean it still can work with Zelda formula, it's just that they didn't quite get it down right. Bosses that require the matching item to beat is a start, as is perhaps smarter dungeon generation that properly weaves in the item puzzles with its design. It could work, but it's also a lot of work to get done so I'm not surprised that a small indie team didn't have the time or budget to do so. It's something that'd definitely improve with iteration.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Obligatum VII posted:

Regarding your mention if it in the first ditto video, I don't get what people were doing to have trouble with skyward sword's controls, they never gave me any issue personally. It keeps coming up though that half the people who played it seemed to feel it was completely uncontrollable.

The thing I had to get used to was *not* treating it like an actual sword swing. It triggers off acceleration and I kept winding up for a swing, so Link would register the windup and slash in some random direction away from the target.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Reminder: Fi is a character in Skyward Sword.

Also for a little while I'm going to be streaming some Wizard of Legend runs over here to try and make up for my shameful loss.

I lost to the final boss again :negative:

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 29, 2018

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Monolith

My secret origin revealed in this video.

:siren: AMAZING ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

As I still have around 180 roguelites to go before I complete my mission, I've decided to speed up the process a bit. For this current month I'm going to try out randomly picking and streaming a game from the list over at the usual place on Tuesdays, 5 PM PST. The plan is to chop the videos into workable #content for the thread. We'll see how that goes.

:siren: TERRIBLE VIDEO GAMES :siren:

The Weaponographist
Play as Doug McGrave, famous demon hunter for hire. Highest level, bestest gear, ruggedly handsome, and unrepentant jerk. For refusing to aid one stinking demon-infested town, you are immediately – and deservedly – cursed. Your powers, your wealth, and your weapons… Poof! Gone

The Little Slime
The Little Slime is a shooter action platformer with roguelike elements. Enjoy the adventure of a slime with 4 Stage, Random Map, 100 Item, 5 Character, 5 Ending, 63 Monster, 10 Boss, 3 Mode.

The Slimekings Tower
The Slimeking's Tower is an action/roguelike game where you have to explore a procedural generated tower, collect over 300 different items and slay over 100 different enemies in five different gamemodes to retrieve your people's moustaches back from the Slimeking.

You can't win 'em all.
As usual voting will close on Sunday, midnight PST.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The Weaponographist is at least unique... the other two look an awful lot like they're trying to be Risk of Rain/Binding of Isaac without a really unique theme or design to make them stand out.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Little Slime because it's about a little slime. :thunk:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Those all look awful. The Weaponographist I guess, because I want to hear you pronounce that title repeatedly.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I'm voting Slime, either one as long as slime wins :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

CirclMastr posted:

Those all look awful.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008