Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Procedural generation is capable of supporting a lot more weight than it could back in the Mysterious Dungeon days. And that's great! It's neat to see somebody come out with Procedural Mark of the Ninja or Procedural Mascot Platformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So they expect you to have bombs and lockpick in this district. Do they expect you to have other powers too?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So now another question - can you get to everything in a district 1 building with 3 bombs, or is RNG going to flip you off sometimes?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Necropolis seems a little clunky for how whimsical it's trying to be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how there's a failure state (detection) that doesn't kill you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's a pretty interesting quickplay arena-shooter roguelike. I imagine there are bound to be some recurring irritations in the enemy or weapon pool we just didn't see.

Dash guy actually doesn't seem as good as he might be, considering how dense that bullet curtain got.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems like it's hard doings to recover from even one death in Slayer Shock, at least if it was somewhere threat was a problem.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems weird that buildings without security stations are more secure, since you can't disarm their poo poo remotely.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nongunz has some pretty interesting mechanics - the consumable stat buffs, the chargeable weapon wall, but it seems like losing is just really irritating. And do weapons have a total usable lifetime, or do they recharge when you take them out of the dungeon?

...that menu screen, though. That's way more of an elaborate ruse than I expect out of a roguelike.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that was hosed up.

I'm kind of sad we didn't get to see a giant skull outside the window, but alas, it was not to be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that guy is hauling in ridiculous bank. What would you lose if he died? Just the multiplier, all the upgrades, everything?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Let me put in a doomed vote for Sky Rogue as well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Running out of ammo taking down every system is a real concern, isn't it? Are there ammo pods in campaign mode?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Not the Robots could use some kind of visible cone of vision, I think.

I'm all for REIS.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, somehow that was ever more chaotic and counterproductive than I thought it would be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm all for Caveblazers.

I like the resource system they've got going on here, too. So many things to collect and spend.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. What kind of supply expansions can you get? It seems like the desert would really need them, beyond the +4 you got already.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like the social combat system in REIS. I would completely play it as just a conventional RPG -- is there a mode for that?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Go for Has-Been Heroes.

I appreciate seeing all the roguelites you can show. Sometimes when you're playing a good one you forget how hard it is to get right.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's a pretty good run. How many tools can you usually get going during a game, anyhow? Those are report benefits, I imagine?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, that's an interesting approach. I like the way they limit backtracking here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okhlos sounds interesting.

But that was... yeah. Exactly as advertised. Do the different flavors of floor you drop through affect anything other than the color palette? Like, are there actual different hazards in them and stuff?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that was pretty close. I think what halved your mob size was a single area attack from Hades that you didn't block. It's hard to keep an eye on that gravediggin' shovel.

My vote is, again, to blaze some caves. Maybe you could blaze some stars later? I don't think that one's too roguelike, though, it's more kind of etrian-y?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gloom looks pretty good, yeah.

Caveblazers seems like it gives you a pretty tiny guy for as much melee as it expects out of you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am genuinely split here, but I would most like to see your perspective on Receiver.

Gloom is super-reminiscent of Bloodborne with a little Risk of Rain in it, but honestly I think it's a good thing that enough people are making roguelites that we can put the ones that get made into bins like that.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 8, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Unexplored seems promising.

Our own 7c Nickel did a full run of Receiver a while back and I wanted to hear what you thought about it. Guess I know now!

Galaxy-brained gun operation seemed like an interesting analogue to the kind of galaxy-brained stat and strategy optimization you'd need to get through other roguelikes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Asura seems like an interesting twist. Let's see how it goes.

Where does game-to-game progression come in in Noir Syndrome? Can you stock up lockpicks over multiple runs?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, the idea's interesting, I'll give it that. Shame there's not like an automap or something.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Overfall sounds really neat, let's see how that goes. Maybe it's the "fall" but it reminds me of Fallen London/Sunless Sea?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really can't ignore a title like Captain Forever. Thanks for giving Overfall the ol' college try. It doesn't sound fun to realize you've been miserable and haven't even gotten anything out of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sunless Sea can get awfully poetic at times, can't it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what is with all these indie games and turning you into the next last boss? I mean, I suppose that's an easy way to get replayability.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm in favor of Legend of Dungeon.

Moon Hunters seems like it's designed to play and replay quickly, so there's that in its favor. I can forgive simple mechanics if you're not supposed to spend a lot of time developing them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Your ammo probably would have lasted longer if you'd noticed that every time you reload you throw the rest of the 40-odd bullets in the current magazine away. :v: Of course even DOOM didn't have magazine tracking so it's more STRAFE's fault for not emphasizing that little feature.

e: Great minds etc. etc. On another note this sort of seemingly minor but actually strategy-impactful change to gameplay more than anything else can be attributed to STRAFE ultimately being a failure - there's potentially a decent game there and it got plenty of love, but it doesn't know what kind of oldschool FPS it wants to be and just threw in features that don't work together making a huge mess of the experience.

Yeah, it seems like tracking ammo in one-reload increments was a way to give you a preposterous amount of ammo without throwing up a big number on screen, but then you have to bother not only with reloads but with reload tracking, neither of which featured that heavily in your pixelated-era FPSes, to my recollection. Maybe if you had no reload animation but still had the ammo counter?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, have fun with Heat Signature. It's sounded pretty promising.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tenebrais posted:

If you were really feeling plucky, you could board the ship once to see the layout, see the target was next to the wall, get back in your pod, drift over next to the wall he's standing by, then get out of the pod and stab him from space. Although in this case a Swapper would be just as effective.

Wow. That's some pretty quality thinking outside the box. Does the average ship just keep going in a straight line, so you can match heading and speed just like that?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ascendant has some really nice style to it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, pretty decent seasonal feature all told. Looking forward to the main event.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that armor damage was ridiculous. Your convoy was just kind of melting this entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Vintage Year seemed to go by way too quickly. Has it got extended modes to it, or is that all there is?