Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I always like seeing the games I've never heard of so I guess I'll vote for Vertical Drop Heroes. This thread has been very entertaining so far, I'm fascinated to see how many weird games that fall under the "roguelite" umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Rogue Islands.

Eldritch is a really mediocre game, the only thing I remember about it is your hands look like those things they put on the end of drumsticks in old cartoons.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Some of the other weird ones have at least been interesting, but that game was about as bog standard and boring as a "twin-stick shooter rogue-lite" can get.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

I couldn't leave the first room in Examina, I was so confused by the controls so yeah I wanna see Examina

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Convoy should be fun to watch! That Turbo Demon game looks, uh, pretty awful honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

In the first video you talk about something that I find myself really disliking about Rogue-lites, which are the incremental unlocks you gain as you play and lose over and over. I really dislike how many games in the rogue-lite genre rely on having a game that is unbeatable without investing X amount of time into failed runs before you reach the requisite amount of grind. Some games, like Bind of Isaac, handle a concept like that well but it feels like many rogue-lite style games now rely on forcing you to grind through many failed playthroughs to artificially extend the length of the game. I'm one of 'those' people who generally prefer a standard roguelike, such as ADOM, over a rogue-lite and I think part of that is something like ADOM or Nethack may require a lot of foreknowledge to consistently win but a player who gets lucky can still win. I also feel like in many rogue-lites, even with an entire wiki of spoilers you'll still end up losing constantly due to the required ramping powerlevel, while in ADOM having spoilers even a new player could possible go the distance. I also don't need to play 15 times to grind enough Ascension Coins in Nethack to unlock being able to find cloaks of magic resistance or a helm of telepathy.

Anyway, I vote Brut@al