Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah I'm not a fan of games that aren't designed to be beaten in one run through. The upgrades should be there to make it easier for you, not mandatory for progress — at least that's my feeling for Roguelites.

Brut@al is my vote too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Of the three: DragoDino looks generic, Monolith looks like the kind of game I want to play, and Wizard of Legend is the kind of game I play.

No offense to DragoDino, it just looks like any other platformer except with cute graphics. And the co-op gimmick isn't something that's liable to show up in a video here.

I love Wizard of Legend but... I really want to see more of Monolith because it looks neat.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

Ditto looks cute and all, but I just don't think roguelike works with the zelda formula. It made the puzzles shamefully bad as you observed and the whole thing just feels really parsed down to accommodate being random.

I mean it still can work with Zelda formula, it's just that they didn't quite get it down right. Bosses that require the matching item to beat is a start, as is perhaps smarter dungeon generation that properly weaves in the item puzzles with its design. It could work, but it's also a lot of work to get done so I'm not surprised that a small indie team didn't have the time or budget to do so. It's something that'd definitely improve with iteration.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

I'm going to toss a vote for Rogue Islands. Steredenn seems extremely my jam, but I'm more curious about how well RI pulls off the island hopping feel. Also looks very Minecraftish in graphics and I'm hoping it actually uses the simple look for something.