Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, I have to say that ascendant looks really fun... except for the bits where the bosses are fully shielded. It's a pity they didn't go with a more dark soulsy style where bosses can theoretically be hit at any time - just with their cycle and AI set to punish you if you time your attacks poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, Convoy sounds great on paper but in practise the combat really feels like a letdown and like it's more attrition than anything else. I'm not sure how it could be improved, but the rest of the game seems okay in that it's like FTL and FTL was good.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Also jumping on the "don't play FTL, everyone has already" train.
Galak-Z looks really fun, but I can't stand the lazy spritework they've done with the characters. One expression that never quite fits their dialogue or situation, that awful thing where they distort the sprites to give the impression of having actually drawn more than one frame, and using separate rotating sprites for limbs so that Beam's elbows spin around in all sorts of unnatural ways every time she points at something. Full points for fun looking gameplay despite this.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh god, deep sky has the same awful paper-doll rotating limbs spritework going on :bahgawd: It just looks incredibly silly... I dunno, I guess to me it only really works if the art style is meant to be like that (paper mario, scribblenauts etc.). Beautiful comic book style, otherwise! The biff/whammo stills when you play a card are, on the other hand, a great way of minimising artwork without making things look weird.

Yeah, Galak-Z has a really cool saturday morning cartoon aesthetic going on! It's such a pity they didn't have a bit more funding to just, well draw a few more porttrait stills for the characters.

Hmm, both 20xx and Spartan Fist sound interesting. 20xx seems like it would work really well and be a fun game, assuming it's not made by the kind of person who likes spikes way too much, but first person punching sounds more innovative and intriguing.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I remember watching a run of Super amazing wagon adventure during a GDQ last year, it looked pretty silly and fun.