Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I finished stripping the engine compartment of stuff that can't be used in the swap. I pulled the ABS module out and need to do something with the brake lines there. The 3rd Starion here has an ABS bypass, so I'll just go study what it has and copy it. Looks like a T-block and both lines run into it. Seems easy enough. Now I just need to hack out the old wiring and fuel lines. Speaking of fuel lines the factory one comes in from under the car on the driver's side which was the cold side of the G54B motor. Now it's directly where the driver's side exhaust manifold dumps. SO I think I'm going to bend some hardline and run it through the front left box-flare interstitial space and then to the top of the motor with a soft line from the upper wheel well.

I have a t-stat, timing belt kit with water pump and tensioners, coils, and plugs on hand to drop into the 1UZ. I've been procrastinating between that job and doing the struts for the AW11 that I also have on hand. We're in the early stages of buying a beach house, so I've been focusing a lot of energy on that recently. Hopefully I have more time soon and can post some more meaningful updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Photobucket strikes again. :mad:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

$400 a year, lol

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I was/am in the process of moving everything over to Imgur. What a pain in the rear end.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

BigPaddy posted:

$400 a year, lol

I had no idea that was a thing. Years ago I got on PB to document a motorcycle ride I took from vermont->texas->alaska and ended up paying like $69 to have higher bandwidth for hotlinking. But JFC $400 is insane!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've noticed that douchebaggery on pretty much every car forum I've visited recently. you can right click and "open image in a new tab", but that takes you to Photobucket's ad-infested (nigh unusable because of it) site. They've rendered many useful and/or entertaining forum threads useless in one fell swoop money grab.

edit: holy poo poo, just going to look at their "updated terms of service" triggered our net nanny. Ads covering anything on the left side. Jesus. Do they actually think anyone is going to pay them for their garbage service?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 5, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I had no idea that was a thing. Years ago I got on PB to document a motorcycle ride I took from vermont->texas->alaska and ended up paying like $69 to have higher bandwidth for hotlinking. But JFC $400 is insane!

Indeed. My hosting is $120/year with unlimited storage and bandwidth, plus $20/year domain registration.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Do they actually think anyone is going to pay them for their garbage service?

People who have thousands of images up that don't want to move them, that is about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

People who have thousands of images up that don't want to move them, that is about it.

I can't fathom spending $400 just to fix images in old thread posts.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

this will be the final nail in the coffin of car forums and complete the switch to the ever-repeating mouth breathing wasteland of facebook groups.

Pic for attention admin remove if not allowed.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Laserface posted:

this will be the final nail in the coffin of car forums and complete the switch to the ever-repeating mouth breathing wasteland of facebook groups.

Let's be honest here, most car forums have been cesspools of poo poo posting and brand "loyalty" which basically means making GBS threads on anything that is not that exact brand/model. Add in a good dash of sycophantic preferred parts suppliers that rips the members off while giving the admins kickbacks and I say good riddance.

Laserface posted:

if you are somehow implying that Facebook groups are not that plus all the other poo poo factors of modern social media then Im not sure what to tell you.

Oh god no, facebook is probably worse. Basically conversation is dead.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 6, 2017

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

Let's be honest here, most car forums have been cesspools of poo poo posting and brand "loyalty" which basically means making GBS threads on anything that is not that exact brand/model. Add in a good dash of sycophantic preferred parts suppliers that rips the members off while giving the admins kickbacks and I say good riddance.

if you are somehow implying that Facebook groups are not that plus all the other poo poo factors of modern social media then Im not sure what to tell you.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
At least with lovely auto forums they show up on google so you can track down someone who's had the same weirdo problem as you, but 15 years ago.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Laserface posted:

Pic for attention admin remove if not allowed.

Can someone describe for me what I should have seen here? I'm so confused...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

At least with lovely auto forums they show up on google so you can track down someone who's had the same weirdo problem as you, but 15 years ago.

This. RIP the actual informative technical posts with pictures. That's really all I use make/model specific forums for anyway.
You guys scratch the itch to talk with "car folks".

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

This. RIP the actual informative technical posts with pictures. That's really all I use make/model specific forums for anyway.
You guys scratch the itch to talk with "car folks".

Luckily there are still some really good model specific forums out there.
The Swedespeed forums were indispensable when I had my P2R, and the Audizine ones were great when I had my B6 Ultrasport.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

A simulation of the average Facebook automotive group post.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

you usually get someone asking some mundane question for the umpteenth time and then posting a picture of a car that is really nice and definitely not the person posting.

OR

its a car sales page and they put up a post with a picture of a car youd actually be interested in buying but in reality they are posting a wanted ad (so you scroll, go OH I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THAT and then realise its just a photo they decided to post of Not Their Car

OR

they post something that is against the rules (like selling something/business page linking) but because they said 'remove if not allowed' its OK (and they got their airtime out there anyway)

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Laserface posted:

you usually get someone asking some mundane question for the umpteenth time

I belong to the BMW MOA Facebook page, and I am absolutely shocked at how incompetent those owner/riders are. Like, people don't know how to check the oil and when the oil light on the dash goes off they have the bike flat-bedded to BMW. O.o

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Put a couple hours in stripping more of the interior

Had a visitor

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Finally pushed through and pulled all the wiring out of the car except for the back seats -> back. I'll go through that loom and save the brake lights, reverse lights, and maybe fuel pump wiring out that.

Aside from a little piece of insulation, the steering column and the firewall are bare. I need to pull the steering wheel to get the ignition cylinder, and stalk assembly off still.

Engine compartment is really ready for pressure washing now.

Pile of poo poo that came out. I'm not sure anything is worth anything, maybe I'll try to sell some poo poo on eBay to buy a new welder.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Interesting couple of calculators I found - however accurate they are - show that I /should/ be able to reach 170MPH with stock horsepower at redline in 5th gear with the stock engine, drag, rear end, tire size, etc.

Top speed potential using the A650e ratios and the stock Starion rear end ratio:

Horsepower req'd using found frontal area and drag coefficient. Weight estimated. Engine HP actual:

When I get everything together, we'll see how wildly inaccurate these are.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Did some moving around of the starions today. Going to fix the coolant leak, battery, and shifter linkage on the runner while I wait to get my welder and megasquirt stuff.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Matt Farah drove someone's Starion race car and I thought of you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpmymrOoir4

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

thebigcow posted:

Matt Farah drove someone's Starion race car and I thought of you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpmymrOoir4

That thing is a beast. The guy who built it needs to get hired by a race team or something. He put a lot of thought and fab into that car. If my Starion becomes half as cool as that I'll be happy.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I had a nice early stopping point with work today, so I went downstairs to work on some car stuff. I can't do the dually brakes because they aren't here yet. I can't get the AW11 shocks done because I don't have the strut mounts yet. Guess I'll work on the race car.
Decided since I've had parts in hand for a few months, I might as well change the timing belt and water pump on the 1UZ

T-stat housing, rad hoses, and upper timing covers removed

Belt is in really good shape, but I want to change it so i have a known start point mileage wise.

I've never worked on an engine that had some many interference-hung accessories. Had to take the alternator and power steering pump off to get the serpentine belt tensioner off.

Crank pullers make light work.

Disassembled as far as necessary. Reassembly is reverse apparently.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always wondered why everything is made out of tidy cast alloy and then the belt tensioner is a piece of unpainted iron that looks red six months from new.

Are you going to keep the VVT functional?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bean counters

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Slavvy posted:

I've always wondered why everything is made out of tidy cast alloy and then the belt tensioner is a piece of unpainted iron that looks red six months from new.

Are you going to keep the VVT functional?

That's the plan. I've read that people have had success with the megasquirt3pro with the add on board for enough conditioners to monitor and manipulate the continuous VVT-i

Uh, okay?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Should be picking up a welder today or tomorrow, and will begin to build the engine mounts for the 1UZ. Also want to burn together an engine-run stand so I can work on the thing outside the car as I learn and setup the megasquirt.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Being you're skilled enough to do all this stuff you probably recognized this but if not the throttle body (?) and valve (basically that box behind the valve in your picture) can get really dirty in these engines. It causes hesitation or jerking. You may have already mentioned plans to do it but if not consider cleaning the body behind that valve and the valve itself. Mine needed it around the 150k mark.

When did it I stuck a rag in there and used carb cleaner and a tooth brush iirc. I'm not a mechanic like you but read up on hesitation, cleaned it and it made all the difference.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Sten Freak posted:

consider cleaning the body behind that valve and the valve itself.

I can't use the factory TB anyways because of the throttle-by-wire of these later VVT-i engines. It's coming off in favor of either kludging on an earlier model TB or something completely different.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Coming up on time to renew the rego (and get 'er inspected), and because DannyWilson is coming down to visit, I figured it was time to quit neglecting the 'running' Starion.

The preexisting symptoms before I went out and started it was a sizeable coolant leak from the aft part of the intake manifold. We've been fighting this leak ever since blowing a heater line on the highway in a retrowave fueled trip to Myrtle Beach last January.

So, back to it. Started it up and it blew smoke out of the valve cover, then proceeded to have like 100% positive pressure coming out the open oil cap. Ugh, now what.
Pulled it on to the lift....observe the Starquest in its natural state.

Let's pull the throttle body off and see what we're working with.

So Starions have a coolant circuit that runs through the throttle body and between the #3 and #4 intake runners. When the car is running, there is no leaking, when you shut it off, it pisses like 12oz of fluid out the bottom side of the manifold. I was thinking originally that meant that there was some kind of pressurization differential due to super-heating the coolant when the water pump stopped spinning. Another anecdotal symptom of poor running was that when the car got closer to full temp, it seemed to misfire under idle despite full ignition system and TB reconditioning. '

Now I think that it's sucking coolant into the engine through the leaky intake manifold gasket and at idle can't overcome the ingress of coolant. Then when the engine is off, the pressurized system pisses coolant out the same or similar gasket malfunction.

Still kind of leaking from this fitting. I'm going to pull the intake manifold and regasket it, check the decking of the mating surfaces, and check for various ingress of coolant. I'm super hoping there isn't a head gasket problem, but there doesn't seem to be oil in coolant/vice versa.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Are the gaskets new?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Breakfast Feud posted:

Are the gaskets new?

No....never taken apart by me

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It could be that the gasket has cracked and is letting coolant into place it shouldn't be. It probably needs new gaskets anyway, and I'll bet that when you take off the manifold that bits of gasket are going to stay behind.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Breakfast Feud posted:

It could be that the gasket has cracked and is letting coolant into place it shouldn't be. It probably needs new gaskets anyway, and I'll bet that when you take off the manifold that bits of gasket are going to stay behind.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I'm going to pull the intake manifold and regasket it, check the decking of the mating surfaces, and check for various ingress of coolant.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Wow I'm bad at reading.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
You know what to do... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztgvTY5H7PY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009