Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Puckish Rogue posted:

Yeah, that;'s a good point about the sport getting older. You usually think of the next Bjorg/Sampras/Federer as being a teenage upstart who starts making waves and then in their early 20's goes all out. Except these days, as Nadal and Fed are showing, tennis doesn't end at 30. It's just hard to be excited for a 'breakout' season when they've been middling or just good for 5 years and most people have written them off. Plus we're all cynical enough to just say "wow he must go to Djokovic's dealer now."

Yeah I wonder if that'll be a problem for the sport in the future once Fed and Nadal retire (and Djokovic, though to a lesser extent as he's less popular)... Hard to get excited about older players winning slams cause they've been around for so long, and equally hard to get excited about promising young players because they can't win slams. It was cool when Wawrinka broke through at a later age but he was never supposed to be the next big thing so no one had a chance to tire of him. I think people are already a little tired of hearing about Dimitrov and Raonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah I wonder if that'll be a problem for the sport in the future once Fed and Nadal retire (and Djokovic, though to a lesser extent as he's less popular)... Hard to get excited about older players winning slams cause they've been around for so long, and equally hard to get excited about promising young players because they can't win slams. It was cool when Wawrinka broke through at a later age but he was never supposed to be the next big thing so no one had a chance to tire of him. I think people are already a little tired of hearing about Dimitrov and Raonic.

I guess we don't know if this is just an outlier/golden age of individual dominance (Imagine Federer without Nadal being around for example.) It could be that once the Big Two (+ one) are gone this past age 30 dominance disappears. Or more likely, new training and science and designer stem cell vegan drugs will mean this continues, but the sport will suffer a hangover until some absolute freak of a player takes over and people get more into it because hey, we love winners. That or we get a few lovable personalities which make up for not being able to breakout until their mid to late 20's when we've heard about them since they were 17 and won junior Wimbledon or whatever.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I'm actually more interested in the WTA right now because, at this point, there's a lot of potential winners.
I'm rooting for Mladenovic but Wozniacki finally winning a major would be ok too, even if I don't particularly like watching her play.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Glare Seethe posted:

The sport will be dead. Look how awful the woman's field is without Serena. That's the men's field in 5 years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As for this era I highly doubt the three greatest players in tennis history just happened at the same time. It's much more likely that changes in "nutrition" and the general neutering of hardcourts/grass courts have made it much easier to dominate the entire tour schedule.

I would take the 80s-to-mid-90s tennis field over the "golden age" and I wouldn't even think twice.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Pete Sampras isn't in this age.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this just cements Federer's status as the GOAT of GOATS.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Murray's awful and Del Potro is injured again. :sigh: At least Berdych is losing too.

edit: Jesus, Almagro.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 1, 2017

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Glare Seethe posted:

Murray's awful and Del Potro is injured again. :sigh: At least Berdych is losing too.

I got worried there. It was Almagro who retired. Men's tennis can't take another del Po injury.

Murray's looking a lot better now.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wat did kyrgios do

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
It makes me so upset when Djokovic loses his temper with the ball children for not bringing his towel fast enough. I HATE HIM

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Buddy Holly posted:

It makes me so upset when Djokovic loses his temper with the ball children for not bringing his towel fast enough. I HATE HIM

Waiting for a particularly surly ball boy to tell him to 'get hosed' one day.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

vamos Diego, save the tennis, save the world.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Such a shame what happened to Goffin, he was looking good.

Buddy Holly posted:

At least he doesn't blow his nose and/or spit into the towel before giving to the balls kids like some other players.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

Receiving a soiled towel like that is an honour though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Buddy Holly posted:

The towels are filled with steroid juice and doping sauce. Ban that cheat.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol at Novak meltingdown towards the official.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Carlos Ramos isn't taking Novak's poo poo.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

PARIS — David Goffin’s French Open ended when he tripped on a tarp during a point.

In the first set of his third-round match against Horacio Zeballos on Friday, Goffin, the No. 10 seed, fell while chasing a ball way behind the baseline at Court Suzanne Lenglen. His right foot got stuck under the cover used to protect the court overnight or in case of heavy rain.

He stopped playing and was taken to a hospital.

“He had an M.R.I., and the news is reassuring: There is no tearing of the ligaments and no bone that’s been broken, either,” Goffin’s coach, Thierry van Cleemput, said.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Good thing it didn't happen to Bouchard or she would have sued the French Open.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Goffin's quietly become one of my favorite players, I was bummed he had to retire, but good that it's not serious.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

End of the road for Aga. Didn't even hold serve once.

Murray v Del Potro is next... on paper it might be good, but who knows on current form.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Supposedly Delpo has an adductor issue.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

His last match was basically a race to see who will retire first, and Almagro won. Maybe Murray's poor form will cancel out Delpo's injury and we'll get a match?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Del potros shorts are real bad and fail

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Del potrowns

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a good match

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Delpo lost the 1.5 hour first set and has now given up :rip:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
love this thread, just shooting the poo poo and discussing the tennis with my fellow "goons"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Monfils/Gasquet about to start on Chatrier. Gonna be a cracker!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Bellis went out :( Wozniacki was such a whiny poo poo last night I was hoping she would lose.

Even if del Po had won the first set you know he didn't have the energy/fitness to win two more sets.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hm, I was kind of hoping Wozniacki would lose after the way she got the match suspended yesterday. She basically started whinging to an off-court official about conditions, turning her back to and completely ignoring the umpire who was talking to her, and right in the middle of her opponent's service game no less. Really rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully Kuznetsova will send her packing next round.

edit: ^^ Good timing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I said it last night and I'll say it again: Wozniacki is a piece of crap.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nishikori just smashed his racquet. Chung is well on top at the moment.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Nishikori just smashed his racquet.

Kind of an aside, but I was in Japan a couple months ago and it was astounding how many ads featured Nishikori.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nishikori's contract with Uniqlo was bigger than Djokovic's.

I wish he would get his teeth fixed though.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

poo poo, I'm going to miss the semis and finals for the men and women. I will wake up on Monday not knowing how fast Nadal won the slam. Distressing world to live in.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Looks extremely windy out there today, the ball's sometimes moving in an unexpected direction, especially after a bounce. Maybe there's hope for Thiem later if it stays like this... if I recall correctly Djokovic can sometimes get really frustrated in the wind.

edit: And the occasional gust kicking up a clay storm.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Haven't watch much tennis in the past few days but its great to see Ostapenko get into the match. Got a bit worried when she went 0-5 down when she's trashed Woz the three times they've met.

e: and she gets broken again to lose the set as I typed that :argh:

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread