Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

If it wasn't for Nadal teetering on an insane 10 of a single slam I'd have no interest in either the men's or women's bracket this year, aside from hoping for Djokovic to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

Ugh, the French crowd seems incapable of not olé-ing every two minutes. Is there a way in which RG is not the worst major?

It's the opposite for me, a lot of promising players had a great clay court season and it would've been interesting to see if someone can snag a first major. With Nadal playing well again though it's basically just seeing who can go the furthest before losing to him, again. I mean he's more prone to an upset than at his peak, so it's not hopeless, and I wouldn't mind him winning a 10th, but the setup for the tournament is just less interesting for me this way (on the men's side at least).

I guess I'm getting old and none of the new crowd have caught my eye yet.

The women's side is dire and it makes you kind of miss watching Serena crush failed Soviet Bloc doping experiments and then be said to be the best tennis player of either gender in the world until....unintelligible yelling about the WTA

People, tell me which young guns other than that mental Aussie I should keep an eye out for so that when Federer goes away i can pick the most handsome one with kind eyes.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

oliwan posted:

I grew up playing on clay so I like RG. If you don't like it, well idgaf. Anyway, I hope djokovic dies.

I like clay, I'm just ambivalent to the talent playing on it.

Except Djokovic who I want to lose. Maybe not die, that means he can't lose further in the future.

Glare Seethe posted:

It's mostly Kyrgios, Thiem and Zverev really (with a bunch of others following, like Coric or Chung), but personally I still hope someone older (i.e. 26) like Goffin or Dimitrov will win something big. Can't blame you for not getting excited considering those guys have been around for a good 4-5 years now and still haven't done much but since tennis as a sport is getting older they still have some time.

Yeah, that;'s a good point about the sport getting older. You usually think of the next Bjorg/Sampras/Federer as being a teenage upstart who starts making waves and then in their early 20's goes all out. Except these days, as Nadal and Fed are showing, tennis doesn't end at 30. It's just hard to be excited for a 'breakout' season when they've been middling or just good for 5 years and most people have written them off. Plus we're all cynical enough to just say "wow he must go to Djokovic's dealer now."

I must admit Kyrgios has had an exciting beginning to the year but I just expect him to snap and have an 18 month binge of doing nothing before having a bizarrely dominant 3 tournaments and the cycle repeats. I'd be fine with him taking over in the new (sort of) crowd though.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah I wonder if that'll be a problem for the sport in the future once Fed and Nadal retire (and Djokovic, though to a lesser extent as he's less popular)... Hard to get excited about older players winning slams cause they've been around for so long, and equally hard to get excited about promising young players because they can't win slams. It was cool when Wawrinka broke through at a later age but he was never supposed to be the next big thing so no one had a chance to tire of him. I think people are already a little tired of hearing about Dimitrov and Raonic.

I guess we don't know if this is just an outlier/golden age of individual dominance (Imagine Federer without Nadal being around for example.) It could be that once the Big Two (+ one) are gone this past age 30 dominance disappears. Or more likely, new training and science and designer stem cell vegan drugs will mean this continues, but the sport will suffer a hangover until some absolute freak of a player takes over and people get more into it because hey, we love winners. That or we get a few lovable personalities which make up for not being able to breakout until their mid to late 20's when we've heard about them since they were 17 and won junior Wimbledon or whatever.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Pete Sampras isn't in this age.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Buddy Holly posted:

It makes me so upset when Djokovic loses his temper with the ball children for not bringing his towel fast enough. I HATE HIM

Waiting for a particularly surly ball boy to tell him to 'get hosed' one day.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

poo poo, I'm going to miss the semis and finals for the men and women. I will wake up on Monday not knowing how fast Nadal won the slam. Distressing world to live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Best French open ever.

• Locked thread