Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Kinda wish Halep hadn't rolled her ankle in the Rome final, bit of a question mark now how that'll affect her chances and she was the closest to a favorite on the women's side.

I hope Kvitova will do okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Bah, Eurosport Player removed the monthly subscription option and now it's just a daily pass or a yearly subscription. I ponied up but that kind of blows since I only use it for tennis and they don't actually cover a lot of tennis outside the slams. On the plus side they added split screen view so now I'm watching three courts at once.

Anyway, Petra looked pretty good. I didn't notice any problems with her hand.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Kerber's getting trounced. Not really surprising considering her form and the opponent, since Makarova is very good and a known giant killer. But still would be nice if she's able to turn her season around some time. :\

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

At least she's in good company there.

I feel like there's a good chance Muguruza, aka the defending champion, will be bounced tomorrow as well. Schiavone won a tournament and was runner-up at another in the past month and it's her last year on tour. Primed for an upset.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Zverev/Verdasco could be good. If you had the choice of court I'd say pick an outer one just to see some of the lesser-known players, but if you're stuck with streams that only show the big courts then yeah, it's not a great lineup today. There's a chance Paire could trouble Rafa if he shows up but he tends to tank matches even more often than Tomic so probably not. I'll mostly watch specific players today - Goffin now, Gulbis and Mladenovic later, etc.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yeah Konta out is not even remotely a shock.

Disappointing to see Zverev out in the first round, he's not my favorite of the youngsters but considering how comfortably he beat Djokovic in the Rome final just a week ago you'd have expected him to go deep here. Oh well.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Dustin Brown/Gael Monfils is last up on Lenglen. Should be a cracker.

This has started now. I think Monfils is kind of overrated to be honest but Brown is always worth watching.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

Brown is only worth watching on grass.

He's only actually good on grass but to me he's entertaining even when losing on clay.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ugh, the French crowd seems incapable of not olé-ing every two minutes. Is there a way in which RG is not the worst major?

Puckish Rogue posted:

If it wasn't for Nadal teetering on an insane 10 of a single slam I'd have no interest in either the men's or women's bracket this year, aside from hoping for Djokovic to lose.

It's the opposite for me, a lot of promising players had a great clay court season and it would've been interesting to see if someone can snag a first major. With Nadal playing well again though it's basically just seeing who can go the furthest before losing to him, again. I mean he's more prone to an upset than at his peak, so it's not hopeless, and I wouldn't mind him winning a 10th, but the setup for the tournament is just less interesting for me this way (on the men's side at least).

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Puckish Rogue posted:

People, tell me which young guns other than that mental Aussie I should keep an eye out for so that when Federer goes away i can pick the most handsome one with kind eyes.

It's mostly Kyrgios, Thiem and Zverev really (with a bunch of others following, like Coric or Chung), but personally I still hope someone older (i.e. 26) like Goffin or Dimitrov will win something big. Can't blame you for not getting excited considering those guys have been around for a good 4-5 years now and still haven't done much but since tennis as a sport is getting older they still have some time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Puckish Rogue posted:

Yeah, that;'s a good point about the sport getting older. You usually think of the next Bjorg/Sampras/Federer as being a teenage upstart who starts making waves and then in their early 20's goes all out. Except these days, as Nadal and Fed are showing, tennis doesn't end at 30. It's just hard to be excited for a 'breakout' season when they've been middling or just good for 5 years and most people have written them off. Plus we're all cynical enough to just say "wow he must go to Djokovic's dealer now."

Yeah I wonder if that'll be a problem for the sport in the future once Fed and Nadal retire (and Djokovic, though to a lesser extent as he's less popular)... Hard to get excited about older players winning slams cause they've been around for so long, and equally hard to get excited about promising young players because they can't win slams. It was cool when Wawrinka broke through at a later age but he was never supposed to be the next big thing so no one had a chance to tire of him. I think people are already a little tired of hearing about Dimitrov and Raonic.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Murray's awful and Del Potro is injured again. :sigh: At least Berdych is losing too.

edit: Jesus, Almagro.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 1, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Goffin's quietly become one of my favorite players, I was bummed he had to retire, but good that it's not serious.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

End of the road for Aga. Didn't even hold serve once.

Murray v Del Potro is next... on paper it might be good, but who knows on current form.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

His last match was basically a race to see who will retire first, and Almagro won. Maybe Murray's poor form will cancel out Delpo's injury and we'll get a match?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hm, I was kind of hoping Wozniacki would lose after the way she got the match suspended yesterday. She basically started whinging to an off-court official about conditions, turning her back to and completely ignoring the umpire who was talking to her, and right in the middle of her opponent's service game no less. Really rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully Kuznetsova will send her packing next round.

edit: ^^ Good timing.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Looks extremely windy out there today, the ball's sometimes moving in an unexpected direction, especially after a bounce. Maybe there's hope for Thiem later if it stays like this... if I recall correctly Djokovic can sometimes get really frustrated in the wind.

edit: And the occasional gust kicking up a clay storm.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 6, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

Jelena Ostapenko is going to take out the trash. She has too much power for Wozniacki. If it had been a little less windy it would have been in two sets.

Yeah, Woz got smashed. I'm pleased with this result.

I am a little disappointed for Mladenovic but Bascinzsky is great so that one was win-win to begin with.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thiem's just completely outplaying Djokovic. Maybe he can close it out in straights.

edit: Thiem looks almost embarrassed/uncomfortable to be winning so easily. Double break up.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 7, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

oliwan posted:

Someone get djokovic a bowl of gluten, he needs it

Well he did just eat a bagel.

It's impressive that Thiem managed to turn around his results against both Nadal and Djokovic over the course of this clay season. Got smashed by Rafa in Barcelona, played him close in Madrid, then beat him in Rome. Lost badly to Djokovic in Rome, then straight-setted him at RG. If he beats Nadal on Friday it will redeem this whole tournament (on the men's side; I'm pretty happy with how the women's side has panned out).

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Svitolina on a rampage.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

If Nadal wins it's Just Another French Open. I mean it'll be impressive for him winning his 10th title and a good story for the ATP tour, but unless you're a dedicated Nadal fan it's kind of a boring result. Thiem winning would be best for the tour but I am still rooting for Murray to win a couple more slams so that would be my preferred outcome, and if he does it by beating Rafa in the final it will also be the funniest. Sadly it's also the least likely.

In a general sense I'm struggling to think of particularly memorable matches from the tournament so I don't think it's been that great. There's still time for it to come good, though, sometimes one match can redeem a whole tournament. And I guess Mladenovic played a few entertaining nailbiters. Were there any others?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I wish the Nadal/Thiem match was first so I'd know whether to root for Wawrinka (in case Nadal wins) or Murray (in case Thiem wins). I don't want Andy to lose another final. :(

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

First set was pretty excellent.

edit: Also Halep is in the stands looking pretty casual and relaxed. Hopefully that's a good sign for tomorrow.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 9, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

As much as I'm sure Murray would disagree with me, I honestly prefer him losing in the semis than in another major final, and he would have if he'd won and played Nadal. If Thiem wins it'll be a horrible missed opportunity, though.

It's been a great match, either way. I wonder if the second semi will even finish today.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This match excepted the semi-finals on both sides were good and the finals look promising on paper. Wawrinka is about the best you could hope for to give Rafa a match on Sunday, and Halep v Ostapenko is a real toss-up and a nice contrast in styles.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Pretty much going as expected so far I guess. Halep just keeping the ball in play and Ostapenko eventually hitting a winner or error.

edit: Has either one hit a single slice?

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 10, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Crazy. Poor Halep. Though I can't help but feel like she played a tactically poor match. It was all the same note from her, even taking into account Ostapenko's aggression, she didn't do enough to move her around, keep her off balance, vary her shots, etc. Obviously easier said than done, but still.

In general I thought the match was kind of frustrating to watch, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

What a beatdown. Congrats Rafa.

Probably one of the worst slams in recent years, though.

• Locked thread