Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

All except for the shattering quartz. That's just a dick move.

I think I could even explain that away, but it requires spoilers.

... not that I don't agree with it being a dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Really Pants posted:

All except for the shattering quartz. That's just a dick move.

Well, we already saw a masked man who totally wasn't Loewe*, so I'd assume there was some Weissmann bleedthrough somewhere in the line.

*as I said, I don't think that dude is actually Loewe, but it still raises further questions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
FC had Agate nearly dying to a fatal dose of neurotoxin. SC had him thoroughly thrashed by Loewe. 3rd wouldn't be a proper Trails game if Agate wasn't subjected to a new round of physical abuse. RIP Agate. :allears:

I do like the scenes in this part. It's the first and possibly the only time Erika's on screen without being a total fruitcake for just a little while. And Tita referring to Renne as her friend, speaking up on her behalf and trying to forge a connection to her is all kinds of :3:. Especially since though Renne had a handful of lines acknowledging Tita's presence if you took the latter along to the enforcer fights, almost all of her interactions were with Estelle, leaving Tita's connection with her much more below the radar than the Zin-Walter and Schera-Luci connections.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I'm almost scared of what Agates reaction is going to be when he finally meets up with Tita now. I'm half convinced he's going to start screaming as he tries to catch where Erika is about to ambush him from.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Tita and Agate? Y'all have it all wrong.

Murdock x ulcers caused by the Russell family is the real OTP here.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 6, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Now I'm thinking of the other characters on social media because life is boring when you work third shift.

Estelle would just hit "share" on every picture with words that comes up on her Facebook feed.

Dorothy would be an Instagram celebrity and not even notice.

Tita doesn't post much, but when she does it's usually the inner workings of a machine or a picture of Agate.

Agate would only get a Facebook to appease Tita, and refuses to add Olivier.

Olivier has everything under the sun so he can troll everyone. His Tumblr handle is "BiBlondBard"

Mueller has everything Olivier has to keep tabs on him, and consistently gets tagged in embarrassing photos. He never posts.

Zin posts inspirational quotes on his Twitter and hilarious stories on his Facebook.

Schera just posts about her nights out with Aina.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Ries favorites any instagram post about food, obviously.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Ries favorites any instagram post about food, obviously.

So Dorothy must be her most favorited account

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Now I'm thinking of the other characters on social media because life is boring when you work third shift.

Estelle would just hit "share" on every picture with words that comes up on her Facebook feed.

Dorothy would be an Instagram celebrity and not even notice.

Tita doesn't post much, but when she does it's usually the inner workings of a machine or a picture of Agate.

Agate would only get a Facebook to appease Tita, and refuses to add Olivier.

Olivier has everything under the sun so he can troll everyone. His Tumblr handle is "BiBlondBard"

Mueller has everything Olivier has to keep tabs on him, and consistently gets tagged in embarrassing photos. He never posts.

Zin posts inspirational quotes on his Twitter and hilarious stories on his Facebook.

Schera just posts about her nights out with Aina.

Joshua would post a bunch of emo and broody stuff. Estelle would be a continual presence on his posts, trying to cheer him up.

Julia would post pictures of Liberl flags, crying falcons, and swords.

Cassius would post nothing but Dad jokes, naturally. Occasionally he'd post embarassing stories on Estelle and Joshua's walls.

Kurt would share yoga memes, with the occasional long drawn-out post about spiritual pursuits.

Anelace would run a hugely popular page (called Cuteness is Justice! of course) featuring all kinds of cute animals.

... someone needs to make that Facebook page.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Tita. Tita your mom and grandad are designing orbal Metal Gear. They're literally calling it Orbal Gear. How can you not be hyped for this? I mean, come on, you already know that violence is the principal precursor to any useful conversation with Rene, so why not make it giant robot violence? At least that way it can be awesome.

Wait, no, the game's ahead of me on that one.

Having finished the post, I do appreciate how Erika's got Tita's number re: giant robot violence as prelude to heartfelt conversation. The whole chat about weapons development seems a little odd given as her daughter spent a fair few months of the last year toting around a personal cannon and a minigun, though. Or was that another little thing Grandpa neglected to mention in his letters? Also, I would absolutely be down to watch a round of Agate vs. Tita-in-ride-armour.

...wait. Oh. Oh my God yes. Please tell me we get Tita's ride-armour later in this game.

vdate fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 6, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we can neither confirm nor deny the existence of "Orbal Gears"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Really Pants posted:

we can neither confirm nor deny the existence of "Orbal Gears"

Orbal Gear?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erika is probably forgetting about which way the type advantage flows between cyborg ninjas and Metal Orbal Gears, and while Agate is not a cyborg ninja (yet) he has a HF blade since the kerfuffle with the dragon back in SC.

Wait, that's why she was so pissed at Agate at the beginning of this game, apart from his general Agateness. He scrapped her robot. (He's going to scrap her robot? What's the proper tense for an event that has already happened but we viewers haven't seen yet?)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yes, he scrapped the robot that was supposed to murder him her robot.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I hope Erika eventually gets less cartoonishly one-sided, or at least drops out of the spotlight soon. This is tooth-grinding to read.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

What's the proper tense for an event that has already happened but we viewers haven't seen yet?

will have had as soon as we reach that point in the past

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

I hope Erika eventually gets less cartoonishly one-sided, or at least drops out of the spotlight soon. This is tooth-grinding to read.
it's kind of funny tbh

they go overboard on the joke a bit but it's funny enough

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erika acts like a psycho spaz but I think her whole deal makes at least a little sense if you read it as her feeling horrified & ashamed at how her decision to leave Tita behind for her safety backfired so completely, and projecting all those feelings onto the people who were there for her daughter when she couldn't be.

The constant Tom & Jerry fighting with her dad is just kinda dumb, I don't know what else to say about that.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 6, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Erpy posted:

FC had Agate nearly dying to a fatal dose of neurotoxin. SC had him thoroughly thrashed by Loewe. 3rd wouldn't be a proper Trails game if Agate wasn't subjected to a new round of physical abuse. RIP Agate. :allears:
So based on this trend, Agate's upcoming appearance in Cold Steel 3 is going to be sidelined for a period of time because the Ashen Chevalier just falls on him for no reason.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A lot of Erika's problems as a character would disappear if Tita would just say that her and Agate aren't an item but...she never does.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

A lot of Erika's problems as a character would disappear if Tita would just say that her and Agate aren't an item but...she never does.

Because of course they're not an item. What does that even mean? My cannons and his sword are items and we're not like that.

what do you mean it has connotations

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So much this. loving communication, people.

To be fair though, the implication is that Tita doesn't get that her mom thinks they're romantically involved. But if Erika would come out and actually SAY what she's thinking, instead of flipping her poo poo randomly, the whole thing might be resolved.

And where's the whole thing with Agate saving Tita and Albert's asses from Ourobouros? You'd think Erika and Dan would be grateful to Agate for keeping the kid (and the professor, to a lesser extent) from getting captured and/or killed.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Albert was going to say that but then she went into another tirade and he knows her well enough that the words and sentiment won't register when she's like that.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 6, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

So much this. loving communication, people.

To be fair though, the implication is that Tita doesn't get that her mom thinks they're romantically involved. But if Erika would come out and actually SAY what she's thinking, instead of flipping her poo poo randomly, the whole thing might be resolved.

And where's the whole thing with Agate saving Tita and Albert's asses from Ourobouros? You'd think Erika and Dan would be grateful to Agate for keeping the kid (and the professor, to a lesser extent) from getting captured and/or killed.

Everyone is pretty much at fault EXCEPT for Tita. Tita never shows that kind of interest in anybody. If memory serves, she's the only female in Liberl who never mentions how attractive they find Joshua. But it's something Erika needs to be straightforward about and it's incredibly annoying that it just keeps adding on to her terminal crazy. Professor Russell should have specified at SOME point. You'd think he'd make that a priority once she makes it clear that she thinks her daughter is dating a guy twice her age.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Tita has a bit of a schoolgirl crush on Agate, but she's also too innocent/sheltered to think twice about the implications of that and seems content to try and get him to eat icecream with her. Erika and Dan probably picked up on that, so it's reasonable they're a bit wary and wondering how he feels about her. Dan's the reasonable one who's taking a wait-and-see approach. Erika's the crazy overprotective one who still sees Tita as a slightly taller-than-usual 3-year old who's just the cutest thing in the world, aren't you, yes, you are, yes you are. Seriously, the way she babytalks Tita isn't how you generally talk to a daughter who's about to hit puberty. Estelle's threatened to brain her dad for displaying only a sliver of that kind of interaction. Even if Tita had developed an affection for a boy close to her own age, Erika would probably still freak out because it meant her precious cutywuty puffmuffin was starting to grow up and might at some point no longer be hers alone to coddle and fawn over.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Isn't Tita way too young for any of this?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Isn't Tita way too young for any of this?

She is 13. She's too young to be fooling around with someone Agate's age, but she's too old for her parents to assume that IF that's what's happening, she doesn't know (or is too young to understand) what's going on. Not that Erika cares. :v:

C'mon, Really Pants. Please post an update so we can move on from this until the next time we hit that door. :v:

Edit: Tweaked my wording around a bit.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 7, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

She is 13. She's too young to be fooling around with someone Agate's age, but she's too old for her parents to assume that IF that's what's happening, she doesn't know (or is too young to understand) what's going on. Not that Erika cares. :v:

In Tita's case, she IS extremely sheltered. Well, maybe sheltered isn't the exact right word, but Tita barely ever attended Sunday School even before FC and didn't really interact with other kids very much due to spending so much time tinkering with machinery in her granddad's workshop and the ZCF, so it's not too far-fetched that she'd be more clueless than the average 13-year old on that particular subject. And Erika wasn't gonna give her the talk until she hit 30 anyway. :P

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Suuuuuuuure, program an S-Break skip but not a scene skip.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 7, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oh man, are we gonna collect a party of all the guest characters from Trails 2? I guess we already have one of three and that door strongly represented us picking up the second, so...

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Julia is the best. :allears:

Of course, pretty much all the characters have their :allears: moments in their own little ways.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Unfortunately, whenever you get a new character they tend to start with a pretty crappy weapon though at least the game's usually kind enough to give you a new save/shop pillar before facing a major boss.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, and it's a crapshoot if you'll be able to buy or find a weapon for them within the next section of dungeon after you acquire them.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Y'know, I wonder If Kevin and Ries secretly get real salty that nobody else's quartz gets randomly smashed once they're brought out of their crystal.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

Y'know, I wonder If Kevin and Ries secretly get real salty that nobody else's quartz gets randomly smashed once they're brought out of their crystal.

They can just steal everyone's new quartz willy-nilly so I doubt it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love the end chapter bosses in this game. They feel suitably epic and like you're actually accomplishing something, without making them take hours to beat.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I wonder why nobody else ever thinks to attack twice during a chain craft.

You literally have two blades Joshua, geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, the form-changing was also an interesting twist and quick reality check for players who were tempted to try and bust the boss down with S-crafts as soon as they could.

• Locked thread