Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

The Doomhammer posted:

I wonder why nobody else ever thinks to attack twice during a chain craft.

You literally have two blades Joshua, geez.

(He does slash twice; it just come up as a single number that does normal damage so it's only good for sepith bonus turns)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
A certain other character hits twice as well, but only on the enemy the chain craft was aimed at originally.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

This chest quote made me giggle for 5 minutes straight when I first saw it, I swear.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am curious as to why Fresh Water is a recipe one can make and not a consumable item. That just feels weird.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

AradoBalanga posted:

I am curious as to why Fresh Water is a recipe one can make and not a consumable item. That just feels weird.

Maybe it's fresh as in "refreshing"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AradoBalanga posted:

It's 'water.'

Remember this when we get to Moon Door 2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd make fun of the trope where a character has the exact same hair at every age but in the past 20 years I've changed my hair twice. And one of those was just the color.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you can't see it but young Kevin has a rat-tail

Ries cut that poo poo off the first chance she got and he still hasn't completely forgiven her

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 9, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

This chest quote made me giggle for 5 minutes straight when I first saw it, I swear.

Same here! It's probably telling the truth, too. After all, it's Olivier.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Speaking of which...

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 10, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

quote:

Wait, Father! I haven't finished my confession yet!

Inside the chest is an ancient note hinting at the location of the eighth Sept-Terrion. It crumbles to dust before you can read it.

When Brittany was like: "I'm not clever enough for hundreds of more chest phrases!" a few days before the game's release, I submitted those two. I found myself grinning like a loon when I stumbled upon them in the actual game the week after.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Mueller...I probably should have put him in my party here but I assumed you had to use Julia and I wasn't quite ready to give up Tita. He can really wreck some face. I never really used Julia past this point, actually. She brings nothing to the table that other people don't bring better.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Mueller...I probably should have put him in my party here but I assumed you had to use Julia and I wasn't quite ready to give up Tita. He can really wreck some face. I never really used Julia past this point, actually. She brings nothing to the table that other people don't bring better.

Double damage from chain

Put Julia and Mueller on the team together and magic happens. Schera is a good support too because chain cause a lot of delay.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Mueller is awesome, yes

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RegalStar posted:

Double damage from chain

Put Julia and Mueller on the team together and magic happens. Schera is a good support too because chain cause a lot of delay.

Well yeah, but I didn't know that about Julia at the time. I didn't use Chain Crafts much in these games. Mostly if a boss was on his last legs and I didn't have enough CP for an S-Break.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Mueller hits like a tank, takes hits like a tank, and hey - he commands tanks too!

I admit though, I didn't use him all that much. I preferred other beatstick characters to him, if only for the crafts and damage output.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 23, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Of course Julia has fangirls :allears:

Although, Vander, you still had 2 out of 3 chances of getting stiffed there, have you seen Olivier's sister? Speaking of, why was he assigned to the bastard son? Who got assigned to Alfin and Cedric?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nobody. The Vander family doesn't actually serve the Arnor family like that. That whole story was Olivier's first prank. Everybody wants to see how long he can keep it going.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I made the same joke about old habits. High five!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I made the same joke about old habits. High five!

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I find it's far easier to beat Muller if you use Juila's cp on the attack craft she has instead of S-crafting.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I really love Queen Alicia's character. She's not a caricature that just throws orders around - she's very human, and very much a leader. She knows how to deal with people without throwing her title around, despite her and everyone around her being aware of it.

I guess it's because I can't think of many other games where you get to see the Queen as either a quest-giver or an accessory to a king (who, to be fair, is also usually a quest-giver.) Even when you do see a well-characterized queen, they seem to tend towards the Dunan-esque attitude of "I'm the QueenNobility, do what I say."

I also like Julia's character moment here - it seems like a pretty clear-cut case of Impostor Syndrome. It's very relateable to me, and I like how she shows that she took Mueller's words to heart but still has that lingering self-doubt - it's not something you just shake off. Again, a great character moment in a game full of great characters. :allears:

Really Pants posted:

Julia hasn't had to use her Sister Ellen disguise since FC, but you know what they say: old habits die hard.

Goddammit. First the King's Quest thread, and now this. PUNS :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ssmagus posted:

I find it's far easier to beat Muller if you use Juila's cp on the attack craft she has instead of S-crafting.

I just tried this and it worked well--I was able to Mirageberg both S-Crafts, even--but it wound up about the same in the end.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So Star Doors are about one-half to one-third of the length of a Moon Door?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There are some Star Doors that have infodumps about the game setting instead of character stories. Those are shorter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

Although, Vander, you still had 2 out of 3 chances of getting stiffed there, have you seen Olivier's sister? Speaking of, why was he assigned to the bastard son? Who got assigned to Alfin and Cedric?
Judging by the Cold Steel thread, Elise Schwarzer has practically been duped into the role of Alfin's unofficial chaperone/BFF/prank magnet. Hopefully, Elise will be able to get in touch with Mueller to learn some pointers on dealing with the Arnor family some day.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Judging by the Cold Steel thread, Elise Schwarzer has practically been duped into the role of Alfin's unofficial chaperone/BFF/prank magnet. Hopefully, Elise will be able to get in touch with Mueller to learn some pointers on dealing with the Arnor family some day.

'Just threaten them with physical violence.'

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The Doomhammer posted:

'Just threaten them with physical violence.'

'Also, don't be surprised they disappear and end up in another country at some point. I've had to drag Olivert out of both Liberl and Crossbell at some point.'

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's quite telling that the moment Mueller tells Joshua his last name, Joshua immediately realizes who Olivier really is. The Vander name is really well known, at least in Erebonoia.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Come on, Kevin, you usually think faster on your feet than this. Just say that you excpect Joshua to be sealed here too.

Speculation 1: is the thing or person that is creating this situation to begin with pulling memories out of the party's mind?
Speculation 2: mistery female voice is Rufina, somehow. (Probably not, Kevin would recognize her, but the possibility is there)

Is this storyline about Estelle?
(Is someone collating all the x/y chest storylines)

E: I realize there's probably a wiki somewhere with all the chest phrase storylines well ordered, but Ibi Sunt Spoiler Dracones.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Man I can't believe they just give you Josette so early, I thought this was the HARD game of the trilogy!

*bullet pings off of enemy for 6 damage*

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, I never gave Josette a fair shot. In either game. Nothing I could see about her impressed me. Maybe I'll see her differently here. She was my preferred reserve member, though.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 12, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You know, I never gave Josette a fair shot, in either game. Nothing I could see about her impressed me. Maybe I'll see her differently here. She was my preferred reserve member, though.

I did since I'm a bit OCD about keeping everyone's levels about even, but she's still low-tier. Her defense-down pushback skill can be useful since all but the strongest bosses are vulnerable to it and her fainting skill can take foes out of the fight for quite some time if it connects, but she still doesn't really have anything she's actually good at in battle. Her remote ability is considered among the best though, since the boosts to sepith and item drop rate help you outfit the large cast of characters, so in a sadistic twist of fate, the game actually encourages you to keep her benched.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Woo boy I love that Crimson Eye. Sticking it on Kevin made things a lot easier for, well, most of the game.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Really Pants posted:

There is nothing my sword cannot cut!

Sanger?! Izzat you?

Also, I think Kevin may have violated the 'conduct your duties with dignity' part of his code from time to time.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You know, I never gave Josette a fair shot. In either game. Nothing I could see about her impressed me. Maybe I'll see her differently here. She was my preferred reserve member, though.

She sucks. She can make herself useful by casting Walls, but that's more of a role that almost anyone can choose to go into while she's basically stuck in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Omobono posted:

(Is someone collating all the x/y chest storylines)

E: I realize there's probably a wiki somewhere with all the chest phrase storylines well ordered, but Ibi Sunt Spoiler Dracones.

Oddly, I looked around and couldn't find the Tales in the Chest. Of course, I was playing shortly after release, so that may have changed.

• Locked thread