Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
I'm not sure if there's a wiki that lists them, but there's a Chinese forum that has a thread which does. It's pretty difficult to find all of them because the chest texts change depending on what "period of the day" it is at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
We actually collected almost all of them in the main Falcom thread, but I'll wait to post them until Really Pants wants them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's a shame Josette is still so awful even now, considering the potential of her crafts.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Josette sucks primarily because she has low ATK growths, but has an orbment grid like Zin's.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Josette put her growths into what really mattered: hats.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Josette's quartz grid is similar to Estelle's; two lines of equal length. But where Estelle has no slot limitations, Josette has two earth-based ones, which is one of the suckier elements for spell-casting purposes AND guarantees her attack receives additional nerfing.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Josette can cast earth wall, and as such is a perfectly usable character (heck, she even got to kill (Late SC spoilers, just to be safe) Loewe my last time through SC. And then ruined Loewe and Joshua's big reunion hug by insinuating they were a little 'too' close) She's just always outclassed by literally anyone else.

Actually, I should use her a bunch next time I play through 3rd, see if she tries to ruin any big scenes in this game as well.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Doomhammer posted:

Josette can cast earth wall, and as such is a perfectly usable character (heck, she even got to kill (Late SC spoilers, just to be safe) Loewe my last time through SC. And then ruined Loewe and Joshua's big reunion hug by insinuating they were a little 'too' close) She's just always outclassed by literally anyone else.

Actually, I should use her a bunch next time I play through 3rd, see if she tries to ruin any big scenes in this game as well.

That's more on earth wall being so broken it has transcended into the platonic ideal for brokenness.
As for the second, anything involving Joshua or Estelle is a safe bet (I assume E & J are in this game too).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't get over Josette beaming vacantly into space whilst petting a cat

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 13, 2017

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Really Pants posted:

I can't get over Josette beaming vacantly into space whilst petting a cat
Hell, that's roughly what I do when I pet a cat, so I can't blame her.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

quote:

Enhanced Jaeger Ishmael: What should we do? Should we go down and recover him?
Enhanced Jaeger Queequeg: What? Oh... Forget it. I say we just leave him.
Enhanced Jaeger Ishmael: Lord Campanella seems to have taken quite a liking to him, though... You sure?
Enhanced Jaeger Queequeg: I think that's all the more reason we should leave him. You know what Lord Campanella's personality is like. He'll probably find the whole thing much more entertaining this way.
Enhanced Jaeger Ishmael: ... I guess you're right.
I love how no one gives a poo poo about whatshisface :allears:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
They were arguably doing buttmonkey boy a favor by not immediately fishing him out and leave him to Campanella's whims afterwards.

Anyway, now we know how Gilbert ended up where he was in the prologue. I love how several of the scenes are interconnected this way.

By the way, I found this minigame to be surprisingly tough on normal. I beat it twice, but usually with very little energy left. Maybe I just suck at these kinds of shooting games. At least you have mouse aiming.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Capuas actually do have a pretty cool story. It's very much in the background but I do wonder if it gets elaborated on a bit in the other games

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I'm still a little surprised that the only mention they got in the Cold Steel series so far has been a quick shoutout, especially with the whole noble caste to which they used to belong being central to the plot. Maybe in Cold Steel III.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

This game is basically going to be "Everything and everyone in Zemuria dunks on Gilbert for shits and giggles: The Game", isn't it?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Omobono posted:

That's more on earth wall being so broken it has transcended into the platonic ideal for brokenness.
As for the second, anything involving Joshua or Estelle is a safe bet (I assume E & J are in this game too).

Yeah, the problem with Josette is that the one thing she could maybe be good at (buffing/debuffing), almost any other spellcaster can innately do it just as well thanks to their orbment lines in addition to pumping out damage.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I don't understand why they had to come up with the chest messages from scratch. Couldn't they just translate them from the Japanese version? Did the Japanese version not have them, or were they too full of Japanese puns to translate properly?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei posted:

I don't understand why they had to come up with the chest messages from scratch. Couldn't they just translate them from the Japanese version? Did the Japanese version not have them, or were they too full of Japanese puns to translate properly?

The chest phrases are an English exclusive bonus.

The story is that in FC, each chest had an individual line of text of "this chest is empty," so XSeed decided to give each chest a (mostly) unique message.

SC's coding works differently, but they still (eventually) got a ton of messages in through Sara magic. 3rd is the same.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Junpei posted:

The Japanese chest messages were all something like "This chest is empty". Except somehow FC had that message repeated a few hundred times, so xseed decided to have some fun with them and translate each with and individual joke.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Josette's one of the few characters I dislike - and I don't want to. She's not terrible, but she's one of the worst out of a mostly great cast.

It's not even the lack of fighting ability (although that's part of it) - it's just that she's basically got two or three notes that get hit over and over. She's either fighting with Estelle, exhibiting loyalty to her brothers, or pining for Joshua. She gets a bit of character growth eventually (spoiler alert :v:) but it's really too little, too late.

And then they wasted her door on a lovely minigame? Why not give details of the bad business deal? Maybe a peek into what they were doing immediately before they became Sky Bandits? How about how the delivery service got started? Anything to break the monotony of her character and make me actually want to use her.

Compare her to... maybe Scherazard. It's kind of a bad comparison since she's one of the first playable characters you meet back in FC, but despite being kind of lovely in a fight (compared to the other characters available by the time you hit SC and with the caveat that I didn't use a lot of arts) and kind of one-note herself (drunkenness,) she gets better characterization. Josette's easily been around for as long as Scherazard in-game, but she just kind of gets poo poo on and it really annoys me.

... wow. That turned into a bit more of a rant than I expected.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AradoBalanga posted:

This game is basically going to be "Everything and everyone in Zemuria dunks on Gilbert for shits and giggles: The Game", isn't it?

omg spoilers

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Maybe a peek into what they were doing immediately before they became Sky Bandits? How about how the delivery service got started?

Well, I mean you can see right there. Don sat at his desk, Kyle played his violin, Josette looked after their hallucinogen-secreting cat.

The Capuas were tossing around the shipping business idea as far back as SC, and we'll see a bit more about it later.

It would be neat to meet the guy who scammed them in a later game and wind up kicking his rear end for completely unrelated reasons, though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Josette's one of the few characters I dislike - and I don't want to. She's not terrible, but she's one of the worst out of a mostly great cast.

It's not even the lack of fighting ability (although that's part of it) - it's just that she's basically got two or three notes that get hit over and over. She's either fighting with Estelle, exhibiting loyalty to her brothers, or pining for Joshua. She gets a bit of character growth eventually (spoiler alert :v:) but it's really too little, too late.

And then they wasted her door on a lovely minigame? Why not give details of the bad business deal? Maybe a peek into what they were doing immediately before they became Sky Bandits? How about how the delivery service got started? Anything to break the monotony of her character and make me actually want to use her.

Compare her to... maybe Scherazard. It's kind of a bad comparison since she's one of the first playable characters you meet back in FC, but despite being kind of lovely in a fight (compared to the other characters available by the time you hit SC and with the caveat that I didn't use a lot of arts) and kind of one-note herself (drunkenness,) she gets better characterization. Josette's easily been around for as long as Scherazard in-game, but she just kind of gets poo poo on and it really annoys me.

... wow. That turned into a bit more of a rant than I expected.

Well, there's the caveat that Josette spends about half of Schera's available time as an enemy and a third of it unplayable, and Schera has a lot of other little notes: Her semi-parental nature towards 'Stell and Josh, her half-flirting, half-fighting jabs at Olivier, he relationships with other Bracers like Agate, her rivalry with... the Enforcer who's name I forget. With Schera, it's less about herself and more about her relationships towards other characters, which sort of goes with Josette as well: She has her crush on Joshua, her loyalty to her brothers, and her feud with 'Stell.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

The chest phrases are an English exclusive bonus.

The story is that in FC, each chest had an individual line of text of "this chest is empty," so XSeed decided to give each chest a (mostly) unique message.

SC's coding works differently, but they still (eventually) got a ton of messages in through Sara magic. 3rd is the same.

The reason for this is that the first game didn't actually have "chests" as game objects, they were all coded as NPCs. So every single chest in the game was an NPC that looked like a closed chest, and when you "talk" to it, it gave you an item, after which it is replaced with another NPC that looked like an opened chest who just said "this chest is empty". Each of those NPCs had their own lines in the script (even though all of those lines were the same).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tamba posted:

The reason for this is that the first game didn't actually have "chests" as game objects, they were all coded as NPCs. So every single chest in the game was an NPC that looked like a closed chest, and when you "talk" to it, it gave you an item, after which it is replaced with another NPC that looked like an opened chest who just said "this chest is empty". Each of those NPCs had their own lines in the script (even though all of those lines were the same).

I...can't tell if this is a joke or not.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Junpei posted:

(Schera's) rivalry with... the Enforcer who's name I forget.

That'd be Luciola, and it's not a rivalry so much as "complicated feelings about the circus".

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I...can't tell if this is a joke or not.

It wasn't supposed to be one, but I can't find a source for it either.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

The Capuas were tossing around the shipping business idea as far back as SC, and we'll see a bit more about it later.

I vaguely remember that, but hell - give them a star door at least. Maybe replace Star Door #8 - it had neat worldbuilding info, but nothing that really seemed to tie into anything current very well.

I just think that, for as often as that whole crew shows up, they need more backstory. Either that, or relegate them to background character status like they really are and give us a different character in our party. :argh:

Really Pants posted:

It would be neat to meet the guy who scammed them in a later game and wind up kicking his rear end for completely unrelated reasons, though.

It'd be a neat callback, at least.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I wonder what happened to that cat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maybe replace Star Door #8

well now you're just being ridiculous

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

AweStriker posted:

That'd be Luciola, and it's not a rivalry so much as "complicated feelings about the circus".

It's not exactly a rivalry and it's not exactly complicated either. The relationship between Schera and Luci is pretty much a mirror image of the relationship between Schera and Estelle and even though they ended up on different sides, their relationship is still kind of similar.

I vaguely remember that, but hell - give them a star door at least. Maybe replace Star Door #8 - it had neat worldbuilding info, but nothing that really seemed to tie into anything current very well.

I just think that, for as often as that whole crew shows up, they need more backstory. Either that, or relegate them to background character status like they really are and give us a different character in our party. :argh:

The series ain't over yet. I mean, heck, Tita and Agate were recently confirmed for Cold Steel III despite not being directly involved in the whole civil uprising there and with the Capuas' shipping business spanning most of West Zemuria, Falcom doesn't even need a contrived reason to include them whenever they feel like they add to the plot.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

well now you're just being ridiculous

Yeah, it's a weak argument, but it's probably the most "expendable" one out of all of them assuming you need to keep the same number of sun/moon/star doors in the first place. Otherwise, I'd just say to replace the loving shooter minigame. :v:

I'll stop now, because this is still making me a lot more rant-y than I expected to be.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Those changing chest messages were a very nasty trick on XSEED's part.

Can't believe I missed out on those fine name-based puns.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe the chest messages change! This boss was where I first saw the power of the Crimson Eye as Kevin casting Shadow Spear was what dealt most of the damage to it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like how boss fights escalated over the trilogy.

Trails in the Sky: Mostly other people, occasional monster thrown in. Final boss was a giant robot.

Trails in the Sky 2: First main game boss was a giant robot, most boss fights are strong, unique monsters and members of an elite secret society, final boss is a man who turns into a giant monster.

Trails in the Sky 3: Literal demons from Gehenna.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Why not give details of the bad business deal?

Can't show that in this game; that's in Azure

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The Doomhammer posted:

Those changing chest messages were a very nasty trick on XSEED's part.

I was unaware of this. With that said, either the "pack Mueller" chest quote is static (for some reason) or it just happened to fall in the same spot as it did in my game - I distinctly remember it being in the same place as it was for Really Pants, since I had to run back and get a screenshot of it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I was unaware of this. With that said, either the "pack Mueller" chest quote is static (for some reason) or it just happened to fall in the same spot as it did in my game - I distinctly remember it being in the same place as it was for Really Pants, since I had to run back and get a screenshot of it.

The chest messages only change on maps where the time of day changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I like how boss fights escalated over the trilogy.

Trails in the Sky: Mostly other people, occasional monster thrown in. Final boss was a giant robot.

Trails in the Sky 2: First main game boss was a giant robot, most boss fights are strong, unique monsters and members of an elite secret society, final boss is a man who turns into a giant monster.

Trails in the Sky 3: Literal demons from Gehenna.

I dunno, both Weissmann and the literal demons from Gehenna are nowhere as difficult as the single strongest swordsman in Zemuria.
Unless Third Chapter's final boss is the Schwarzritter flanked by two Loewes at once, I don't see how can they top that.

By the way, the gently caress is a Schwarz? Did the main villain here really call himself the dark knight?

• Locked thread