Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

Unless Third Chapter's final boss is the Schwarzritter flanked by two Loewes at once, I don't see how can they top that.

Don't worry, you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Omobono posted:

I dunno, both Weissmann and the literal demons from Gehenna are nowhere as difficult as the single strongest swordsman in Zemuria.
Unless Third Chapter's final boss is the Schwarzritter flanked by two Loewes at once, I don't see how can they top that.

By the way, the gently caress is a Schwarz? Did the main villain here really call himself the dark knight?

Yep, literally German for "black knight."

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Omobono posted:

I dunno, both Weissmann and the literal demons from Gehenna are nowhere as difficult as the single strongest swordsman in Zemuria.

By the way, the gently caress is a Schwarz? Did the main villain here really call himself the dark knight?

I actually didn't have much problem with Loewe. He's much easier if you build your speed as high as you can.

Schwarz is Julia's husband. They're separated at the moment. This entire game is an elaborate ploy to get her back. Kevin's backstory is just a red herring.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Omobono posted:

Yeah, Schwarz is German for "black". And seeing that he spoke about "his Lord having been revived", he's not the main villain, merely the dragon.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 14, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
First an acknowledgement of the Ys games, then two references of Cold Steel? XSEED, you melt my frozen heart...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So did they know this thing was a labyrinth when they used it to power their city, or is the cube lost ancient technology even to the lost ancients?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The purpose of the Recluse Cube is explained as a plot point later on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Glazius posted:

So did they know this thing was a labyrinth when they used it to power their city, or is the cube lost ancient technology even to the lost ancients?

we have such sights to show you :cenobite:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 23, 2017

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Joshua posted:

We're over in Crossbell at the moment...or were, with the situation as it is now.

What.

Shouldn't they be there one and half years later

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

RegalStar posted:

What.

Zero starts 3 months after The 3rd, so them just having arrived in Crossbell fits

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 15, 2017

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

RIP Joshua's scarf, Estelle just wouldn't stop using it as a towel.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like that Joshua appears early. We've seen Estelle on her own, and we've seen Joshua ANGST! version by himself, but we've never seen the normal Joshua on his own.

Well, other than like, 5 minutes in the first game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You're a little too eager, Josette. Somewhere in Phantasma, a very large stick with your name on it is being brightly polished.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

RegalStar posted:

What.

It's 2 years after the Liber Ark incident. We've got a time fix based on Tita's age here (she was 11 in SC.)I obviously do not pay enough attention to things.

Erpy posted:

You're a little too eager, Josette. Somewhere in Phantasma, a very large stick with your name on it is being brightly polished.

It doesn't matter to her - she wants to polish her own bright stick. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 15, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

It's 2 years after the Liber Ark incident. We've got a time fix based on Tita's age here (she was 11 in SC.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

It's 2 years after the Liber Ark incident. We've got a time fix based on Tita's age here (she was 11 in SC.)

Tita was 12 in the first game. She's really not that much younger than Estelle and Joshua, but 4 years is a much bigger difference in your teens.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Well poo poo, never mind then. Why did I think she'd been called out as 11?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Thanks for posting Ring of Judgment, I hadn't gotten around to reading it. It's shorter than I expected, but quite good.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Well poo poo, never mind then. Why did I think she'd been called out as 11?

Because of reasons. And things and such.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Thanks for posting that manga, more Toby is always good :swoon:

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 15, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Some Numbers posted:

Thanks for posting Ring of Judgment, I hadn't gotten around to reading it. It's shorter than I expected, but quite good.

It's cool to see what happened to that particular character. And that moment of recognition at the end is golden (at least, I think that's what it was.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's cool to see what happened to that particular character.

You'll like Cold Steel if you haven't played them yet.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's a character in this game who (I presume, based on context) is in Cold Steel and I must say, it piqued my interest in buying those games. Even more than it already was.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have you got enough backbench to make its own party, at this point? I like the rare game that can make multiple parties work.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Glazius posted:

Have you got enough backbench to make its own party, at this point? I like the rare game that can make multiple parties work.

You'll see.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It doesn't matter to her - she wants to polish her own bright stick. :v:
Shame on you.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

AradoBalanga posted:

Shame on you.

I'll get my coat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 16, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So the Salt Pale isn't that old at all. You'd think that'd be something people would still mention on occasion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aidios Herself handed down a Twelfth Commandment that week: 'Every time it looks like people were turned to salt, it's actually just a weather balloon.'

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Seems that Weissmann (:argh:) was an orphan from the Ambria tragedy.
Were he and Kevin acquaintances before W went heretic? Because using the Salt Pale for the executions is the sort of pettiness usually reserved for personal slights.

Then again, Weissmann. There's no way the Church wouldn't use an horribly overpowered artifact to make sure he was dead beyond any shadow of doubt, and he totally deserved the middle finger.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

I was going to make a joke early about Kevin working for the Fantasy Catholic SCP Foundation, but... well, it looks like Kevin actually does work for the Fantasy Catholic SCP Foundation.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Omobono posted:

Or "Alba" just claimed it because it'd be hard to fact check. Kinda like Hamel, but with less blame attached - who would they ask, the Jaegers?

Omobono posted:

There's no way the Church wouldn't use an horribly overpowered artifact to make sure he was dead beyond any shadow of doubt, and he totally deserved the middle finger.

I just thought it was delicious irony, given where he claimed to be from. I read this story, thought Ambria sounded familiar, and then started laughing once I connected the dots.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So the Salt Pale isn't that old at all. You'd think that'd be something people would still mention on occasion.

It's something that happened in a very remote area of the world during a time orbal radio didn't exist yet and even airships had been a recent invention in hi-tech Liberl, meaning they weren't in use all the way up north. I imagine the population of Liberl might not even have heard about it and even most Erebonians wouldn't have known it happened or if they knew, they'd barely knew any specifics.

Omobono posted:

Were he and Kevin acquaintances before W went heretic? Because using the Salt Pale for the executions is the sort of pettiness usually reserved for personal slights.

Yeah, the file confirms Weissmann was truly from North Ambria and it wasn't just a made-up part of his Alba identity. Using the salt pale on somebody who lost his home and family and had his life left in tatters because of that very object is just fuckin' spiteful and against anybody but a gleeful sadist like Weissmann, I'd say this was over the top. It'd be like executing Magneto by gassing him.

My hunch is that it wasn't personal, but the Church simply knew they were dealing with an Anguis from Ouroboros and they knew they only had one shot at him before he'd get his guard up, so they employed the one means they had to instantly and irreversably take out an already powerful individual backed by an even more powerful group. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if Ein (who's probably referred to in the file as the one who approved the use of the salt bolt) took note of the cruel irony and let out a trollish snicker as she signed Weissmann's death warrant.

I don't think Weissmann and Kevin knew each other. The Septian Church is a large organisation and by the time he was kicked out, Weissmann was a high-ranking bishop while Kevin was still a nobody at the very bottom of the ladder. There's a 16-year age gap between the two. The very reason Kevin was able to blindside Weissmann the way he did was BECAUSE he and his target didn't know each other beforehand, so he was able to get close without Weissmann becoming wary of him.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 16, 2017

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Omobono posted:

I thought the implication was that Kevin was ordered to use the Pale on Weissmann. I didn't think it was his choice, not that he particularly cared how he killed Georgie boy.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If I recall correctly, it's somewhat implied that it was Kevin who requested the use of the salt bolt and Ein was the one who approved its use. If you talk to the folks at Grancel cathedral during the Orbal Shutdown Phenomenon, you learn that Kevin and the Archbishop had a long talk earlier and came to an understanding about something and later on, a very tightly wrapped package arrives at the cathedral for Kevin's use.

It doesn't really elaborate on Kevin's reasoning. It could be that Kevin had enough interaction with Ouroboros as part of Estelle's group to realize that Weissmann and the society weren't messing around and use of the big guns was in order. Or it could be Kevin simply being a spiteful bastard.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
A spikeful bastard. Salt spikeful :)

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Well, this explains why the northern jeagers are so salty after you beat them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

Were he and Kevin acquaintances before W went heretic?

Kevin was only fourteen or so when Weissmann was excommunicated.

If unused art from the Falcnvrt asset rip is anything to go by, Weissmann and Rufina were originally supposed to know each other.

Never trust a man with tiny hands.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 16, 2017

• Locked thread