Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh cool, I was wondering if someone was going to LP this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

This introduction's a nice call-forward to Cold Steel, with shoutouts to Bareahard, the Kreuzen province, the Reinford Group and the term Merchant of Death being used. There are also nobles cursing "that upstart chancellor".

Not to mention the Northern Jaegers and North Ambria. Granted Weissman was from North Ambria, but the area becomes a lot more relevant in the Cold Steel arc

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I could've sworn there was something else that confirmed he was from North Ambria...

VVV: I meant from SC or FC.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 28, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

They are? Most Goons I've asked about them have given me overall positive opinions.

Cake Attack is joking; the first LP is his.

It would be like me telling you to avoid my current Cold Steel LP.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

And, for the first time, Tita was a mainstay in my party. She was MVP by the end.

Maybe I need to give her more of a shot, but I found that I wanted to use other characters more, so she kept getting crowded out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've heard that Crossbell more or less serves as the final act to the Zemuria series

Not true, Cold Steel 3 is going to take place after Azure I believe and then the story is moving forward in Calvard.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think Erika's great. :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei posted:

Speaking of Cold Steel, what's the policy regarding discussion of it here (and to a lesser extent Zero/Ao)?

I'd prefer if you avoided discussing things that happen in Cold Steel that I haven't shown.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RegalStar posted:

You mean they don't have them NOW. Crossbell already has proto-Internet at the time of the 3rd.

Cold Steel spoiler: The kids of Class VII have a class on computers and talk about a proto Internet as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei posted:

On an unrelated note: The Third's OP, "Cry for me", is seriously one of my favorite OPs from any game or anime, and that's high praise alongside some great OPs ("Senkou no Yukue" from CS2, AND Ao Evolution's OP, whatever it is, being two of my other favorites).

Really? I found that I didn't like it nearly as much as Silver Will, Golden Wings or the opening from FC.

Also, the CS opening is way better than CS2's.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Cold Steel has a great soundtrack; Glint of Cold Steel, Don't be Defeated by a Friend, Belief...

But we're getting off topic. Trails 3rd has a great soundtrack too!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow, you're really blazing through the game so far.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Oh. So you were serious about the entire game being one big dungeon?

Why would you assume that wasn't serious? :confused:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SC Chapter 7 is the four Towers which most people dislike.

Chapter 8 is the footrace around Liberl and is an amazing chapter.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm posting No Commentary videos every update. :colbert:

I'm going to be replacing those with video from the PC version sometime this fall probably.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

During the Cold Steel games, you come across several areas where the higher elements are active without having to step through a warp, making you wonder after this scene: "WTF is happening in Erebonia?"
Yeah, it's super interesting in retrospect that the Cold Steel cast treats that revelation with a "huh, okay, weird."

Maybe they don't know enough to realize that it's a big deal.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"Slight" spoilers.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Interesting, I feel the opposite. I didn't find the dungeon levels very engrossing and the doors felt like a nice change of pace.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mueller is awesome, yes

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

We actually collected almost all of them in the main Falcom thread, but I'll wait to post them until Really Pants wants them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei posted:

I don't understand why they had to come up with the chest messages from scratch. Couldn't they just translate them from the Japanese version? Did the Japanese version not have them, or were they too full of Japanese puns to translate properly?

The chest phrases are an English exclusive bonus.

The story is that in FC, each chest had an individual line of text of "this chest is empty," so XSeed decided to give each chest a (mostly) unique message.

SC's coding works differently, but they still (eventually) got a ton of messages in through Sara magic. 3rd is the same.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tamba posted:

The reason for this is that the first game didn't actually have "chests" as game objects, they were all coded as NPCs. So every single chest in the game was an NPC that looked like a closed chest, and when you "talk" to it, it gave you an item, after which it is replaced with another NPC that looked like an opened chest who just said "this chest is empty". Each of those NPCs had their own lines in the script (even though all of those lines were the same).

I...can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I was unaware of this. With that said, either the "pack Mueller" chest quote is static (for some reason) or it just happened to fall in the same spot as it did in my game - I distinctly remember it being in the same place as it was for Really Pants, since I had to run back and get a screenshot of it.

The chest messages only change on maps where the time of day changes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omobono posted:

I dunno, both Weissmann and the literal demons from Gehenna are nowhere as difficult as the single strongest swordsman in Zemuria.
Unless Third Chapter's final boss is the Schwarzritter flanked by two Loewes at once, I don't see how can they top that.

By the way, the gently caress is a Schwarz? Did the main villain here really call himself the dark knight?

Yep, literally German for "black knight."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thanks for posting Ring of Judgment, I hadn't gotten around to reading it. It's shorter than I expected, but quite good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omobono posted:

Colonel Richard what are you doing?
Colonel Richard you stop this coup this instant and explain why you thought it was a good idea or Aidios help me I'll be very disappointed in you.

Richard: SENPAI YOU NOTICED ME!!!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Your suggested team sounds perfect.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So I definitely didn't do what you did and had to fight through the bugged Four Shot version with the double Max Guard intact.

It was...difficult, to say the least.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

I do love the scene between Kevin and Joshua. It really makes you see Kevin's presence in SC in a whole different light. It's also kinda unsettling how easily Kevin slips into the role he's been playing throughout SC. No wonder Ries was freaked out over it.
Yeah, it's also really great that right after Ries berates him for acting, he drops the act for Joshua and they have an actual conversation for the first time.

It's also the first real glimpse we have behind the curtain at who Kevin really is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think the implication is that Josh did a ton of research after the Liber Ark and found out then.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

You know no one better than yourself.

Cassius may be the only one who knows the Grandmaster's identity.

Ergo...

Campanella knows.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

EagerSleeper posted:

This is a pretty plane. Hopefully cool things go down here.

I wonder what a Stigma is...

Several cool things happen in this plane.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Fool's Emblem's +25 speed made it a mainstay of my party.

I really should have picked up more...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Glazius posted:

Oh, interesting. Do any of the other Sun Doors get extra challenges as you progress the game?

All the others have multiple difficulties, but they're available immediately after you finish lower ones.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 27, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It also retcons the bit from FC where Kloe tells Estelle and Joshua that Jill came up with her seeecret name.

I actually found the Lechter portions to be the weakest part of this door. The best part was watching the start of Kloe's friendship with Jill and Hans.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omobono posted:

Anelace :woop:
Cuteness is justice.
I still want a trails of cute justice game, Falcom.

Random thought, she's master Ka-fai granddaughter, right? She's about 2 years Rean's senior, you think their training might have overlapped some?

Anelace is the best.

I certainly hope that she and Rean trained together, because I really want her to show up in Cold Steel 3 and have a duel with him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omobono posted:

By the way, funny way of spelling Estelle there mister :colbert:
Estelle is amazing, no doubt, but Anelace is the best.

Put another way, Estelle is the best, but Anelace is The Best (tm)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No, it's true, Anelace would be way more interested in Millium and Fie and the other girls.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

He's also not Kilika, so he's not even the SECOND best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Glazius posted:

Have we really only got one empty spot in the party roster for Estelle? it seemed like we had a long ways to go not that far back.

We may be getting more party members after Estelle. :ssh:

• Locked thread