Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Awww I was researching ways to LP this. But it's just as well. I doubt I'd do as good a job as Pants will.

This really is a great game. Absolutely fantastic. There's really only one issue I have with it, but I'll get to it when it's relevant. They do a great job at giving every character something to bring to the table. I was even wondering how it was gonna work with such a defense oriented character as the main protagonist, but Mortal Punishment took care of that. And, for the first time, Tita was a mainstay in my party. She was MVP by the end. (also hey, if that's a spoiler you don't want revealed I'll redact it, but considering every character from the first came back for the second, I figured it was a safe bet)

Anywho, I'm really excited to get in on the ground floor on this. It'll give me my fix until they take care of the New Game Plus Quartz bug.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Some Numbers posted:

Maybe I need to give her more of a shot, but I found that I wanted to use other characters more, so she kept getting crowded out.

Yeah. This game is built around switching everyone around fairly regularly, but I found myself using her much more than I had in the past. And there's a certain Quartz late game that turns her cannon into a complete poo poo-wrecker for randoms

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've heard that Crossbell more or less serves as the final act to the Zemuria series

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...OK there's two things in this game I had a problem with.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Erika is amusing for a minute (and in fact, her in an upcoming scene had me laughing pretty drat hard), but she never turns the crazy off. Which is fine, she's clearly more comic relief than anything in this game and her involvement is minimal. It annoys me after a while, but my problem has more to do with the story she's connected to. But again, I'll get to that when it comes up.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Erika is totally a wine mom. If she had a Facebook page it would be full of Minions that her friend Sharon would constantly post "LOL!" on along with unrelated updates on her son Hunter (the ladies man!). She also gave Erika a "Live. Laugh. Love" needlework pillow for her birthday that is currently Erika's cover photo. And in every picture of Erika and her friends (or her tribe, as she calls it), everyone is slightly crouched even when they don't need to be.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 30, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
And there's the bug...if you start a New Game Plus all your carried over Quartz shatters right there too

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Tita really is the most adorable thing ever. Try, just TRY to not love her. And there's exactly one textbox later in the game that solidifies her as the most adorable thing in the history of time and even before then.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

AradoBalanga posted:

Tita was not who I was expecting to be our first returning party member. Admittedly, she always has a spot in my heart due to being able to successfully wield a gatling gun/orbal cannon combination weapon while weighing about 10 pounds soaking wet. That said, I fully predict Agate's arrival in about...two or three updates accompanied by his usual loud incoherent yelling.

Yeah, the order in which people join is fairly random, although there are a few points where it's pretty obvious whose gonna come out to play. Tita coming out first was something I liked, though. All her development thus far in the series has been in relation to Estelle, Agate, or her grandpa. It's cool to see her standing on her own two feet and seeing who she is on her own.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The problem I have with a lot of those doors is that they show recent events. Like, since the Liberl Ark incident. Why would they show recent memories to the characters?

I might be reading too much into this, but for a series that's good at storytelling, it feels sloppy

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Now I'm thinking of the other characters on social media because life is boring when you work third shift.

Estelle would just hit "share" on every picture with words that comes up on her Facebook feed.

Dorothy would be an Instagram celebrity and not even notice.

Tita doesn't post much, but when she does it's usually the inner workings of a machine or a picture of Agate.

Agate would only get a Facebook to appease Tita, and refuses to add Olivier.

Olivier has everything under the sun so he can troll everyone. His Tumblr handle is "BiBlondBard"

Mueller has everything Olivier has to keep tabs on him, and consistently gets tagged in embarrassing photos. He never posts.

Zin posts inspirational quotes on his Twitter and hilarious stories on his Facebook.

Schera just posts about her nights out with Aina.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A lot of Erika's problems as a character would disappear if Tita would just say that her and Agate aren't an item but...she never does.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

So much this. loving communication, people.

To be fair though, the implication is that Tita doesn't get that her mom thinks they're romantically involved. But if Erika would come out and actually SAY what she's thinking, instead of flipping her poo poo randomly, the whole thing might be resolved.

And where's the whole thing with Agate saving Tita and Albert's asses from Ourobouros? You'd think Erika and Dan would be grateful to Agate for keeping the kid (and the professor, to a lesser extent) from getting captured and/or killed.

Everyone is pretty much at fault EXCEPT for Tita. Tita never shows that kind of interest in anybody. If memory serves, she's the only female in Liberl who never mentions how attractive they find Joshua. But it's something Erika needs to be straightforward about and it's incredibly annoying that it just keeps adding on to her terminal crazy. Professor Russell should have specified at SOME point. You'd think he'd make that a priority once she makes it clear that she thinks her daughter is dating a guy twice her age.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Suuuuuuuure, program an S-Break skip but not a scene skip.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 7, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love the end chapter bosses in this game. They feel suitably epic and like you're actually accomplishing something, without making them take hours to beat.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd make fun of the trope where a character has the exact same hair at every age but in the past 20 years I've changed my hair twice. And one of those was just the color.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Mueller...I probably should have put him in my party here but I assumed you had to use Julia and I wasn't quite ready to give up Tita. He can really wreck some face. I never really used Julia past this point, actually. She brings nothing to the table that other people don't bring better.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RegalStar posted:

Double damage from chain

Put Julia and Mueller on the team together and magic happens. Schera is a good support too because chain cause a lot of delay.

Well yeah, but I didn't know that about Julia at the time. I didn't use Chain Crafts much in these games. Mostly if a boss was on his last legs and I didn't have enough CP for an S-Break.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I made the same joke about old habits. High five!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's quite telling that the moment Mueller tells Joshua his last name, Joshua immediately realizes who Olivier really is. The Vander name is really well known, at least in Erebonoia.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, I never gave Josette a fair shot. In either game. Nothing I could see about her impressed me. Maybe I'll see her differently here. She was my preferred reserve member, though.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 12, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Capuas actually do have a pretty cool story. It's very much in the background but I do wonder if it gets elaborated on a bit in the other games

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like how boss fights escalated over the trilogy.

Trails in the Sky: Mostly other people, occasional monster thrown in. Final boss was a giant robot.

Trails in the Sky 2: First main game boss was a giant robot, most boss fights are strong, unique monsters and members of an elite secret society, final boss is a man who turns into a giant monster.

Trails in the Sky 3: Literal demons from Gehenna.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Omobono posted:

I dunno, both Weissmann and the literal demons from Gehenna are nowhere as difficult as the single strongest swordsman in Zemuria.
Unless Third Chapter's final boss is the Schwarzritter flanked by two Loewes at once, I don't see how can they top that.

By the way, the gently caress is a Schwarz? Did the main villain here really call himself the dark knight?

I actually didn't have much problem with Loewe. He's much easier if you build your speed as high as you can.

Schwarz is Julia's husband. They're separated at the moment. This entire game is an elaborate ploy to get her back. Kevin's backstory is just a red herring.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like that Joshua appears early. We've seen Estelle on her own, and we've seen Joshua ANGST! version by himself, but we've never seen the normal Joshua on his own.

Well, other than like, 5 minutes in the first game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

It's 2 years after the Liber Ark incident. We've got a time fix based on Tita's age here (she was 11 in SC.)

Tita was 12 in the first game. She's really not that much younger than Estelle and Joshua, but 4 years is a much bigger difference in your teens.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Well poo poo, never mind then. Why did I think she'd been called out as 11?

Because of reasons. And things and such.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's a character in this game who (I presume, based on context) is in Cold Steel and I must say, it piqued my interest in buying those games. Even more than it already was.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So the Salt Pale isn't that old at all. You'd think that'd be something people would still mention on occasion.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd love it if it was Olivier in that stone. You know he'd team up with the Lord of Phantasma just to troll his friends.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always liked how this series changes the name on the textbox depending on what hat the character is wearing at the time. Kloe and Olivier add their titles and real names during that great scene just before the finale in SC, Mueller sometimes has "Major Vander", and even Julia has "Captain Schwartz" in her textbox. It's a minor detail, but it's not something you see much.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This was the first time Kloe wasn't a near mainstay in my party. A ton of bosses won't hesitate to interrupt your casting, so healing is honestly best left to Tita and Kevin.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A Cassius game would have to revolve around trolling everyone in Liberl.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Let's send Tita, Kloe, and Mueller down the Silver Road and Joshua, Josette, and Julia down the Golden Road

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Where does her hair go? There's no way it all fits in that itty bitty hat

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It was nice seeing Kilika being one of us mere humans for once. I've never been a big fan of the omniscient ally trope. I like my characters to actually have moments where they're thrown off guard or vulnerable, and Kilika hadn't had hers yet.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's really kinda neat seeing Josette bond with a few people on the team. She's been around since this whole thing started (and is arguably the catalyst that starts Estelle's journey), but almost all her interactions are with Estelle and Joshua (and Schera, to a much lesser extent), plus her brothers. And for each of those, she's very one-note. She displays a lot of different facets here.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ultrafilter posted:

What's really impressive is that the answer is always 'yes'.

Olivier's secret S-Break is "Get the Party Started". It doubles all his stats and gives everybody (ally and enemy) party hats

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Speed is hugely important in this game, much moreso than the previous two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lechter is part of the reason I wanna play the other games. I must know what his deal is

• Locked thread