Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe link the LPs of the first two games in the op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xander77 posted:

It seemed like a huge departure from the series formula. And from the things that made it unique and fun. Having second thoughts about buying this (and I placed the game at the top of my steam wishlist the moment it came out)

maybe actually give the game a chance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

I hope Erika eventually gets less cartoonishly one-sided, or at least drops out of the spotlight soon. This is tooth-grinding to read.
it's kind of funny tbh

they go overboard on the joke a bit but it's funny enough

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kilika had plenty of moments where she felt vulnerable or powerless, she's just a pretty in-control person so it wasn't blindingly obvious. She spent most of SC being frustrated about Zin and Walter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I wonder if Gilbert would be as memorable if he first showed up in SC on the ship.

He'd still be a pretty decent gag villain, but the fact that such a minor NPC who everyone absolutely forgot about came back to be a gag villain both adds a lot to his character and the gag, and kind of emphasizes some of the series' best strengths (consistent world building and character arcs)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the problem with this is that rean is a guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite is anelace actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's mostly just stiff but there are places where it's outright nonsense/early 2000s fan TL quality. I'd recommend waiting to see if it gets another patch or if XSEED picks it up somehow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's the huge snoz. It's drawn in a different style than pretty much everyone else which makes him sort of stick out.

More than he already does, I mean.

kinda looks weird even in his cold steel art, that game just doesn't use character portriats

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

This is Japan, the answer to that question is self-evident.

Though Falcom could surprise us, who knows?
its not. the japanese are people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I'm also looking forward to how casual trails fans will handle Cold Steel 3, because CS has heavily ramped up references to Crossbell to the point that it's actually a 5 game series, not a trilogy.
you keep saying this and it keeps not being true

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

As someone that only played the steel games, there was one particular scene in cs2 that was a Huge Threat that was then taken care off off screen. The only explanation I found out afterwards was that it was something in the crossbell games.
as someone that only played the steel games first, that scene played out totally fine. plenty of things in this series happen outside the protagonist's field of view.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure just about every one of the characters you fight in this sequence was in consideration for being a party member either in SC or this game. Phillip especially, he gets a lot of build-up for someone whose biggest contribution is slowing the enforces down for a couple of minutes. (Admittedly it's a really cool couple of minutes)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NotASmartMan posted:

Eh, I think it's nice that not every badass is in the party. And then there's the issue with party being too bloated.

Oh yeah I'm definitely not saying they thought that all of these guys would be in the party, just that they could have popped up in this game instead of Richard or something. And if I was going to pick one I'd pick Richard, just saying that they probably gave all of these guys some consideration at some point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I want to talk with the localization team and get the rationale for that quote, because it's 100% not what he says in Japanese and that decision was made 7 years ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah im glad they put a lot of thought into writing and rewriting this, the final product clearly shows that they thought very carefully about how to portray this instead of just throwing it in. it's a pretty well-written scene and probably one of the better depictions of this kind of thing in anything i can remember, especially video games. It doesn't feel gratuitous at all, and the focus is on Renne and how she's grown and coped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Team 1 - The 3rd: Kevin, Ries, Richard, Anelace
Team 2 - Seniors: Agate, Scherazade, Zin, Olivier
Team 3 - Brights: Estelle, Joshua, Tita, Renne
Team 4 - Nobility + Bodyguards: Julia, Mueller, Josette, Kloe

• Locked thread