Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh hey, didn't notice this earlier. Glad to see Really Pants soldier on with this franchise. That said, why does promotion to protagonist mean that Kevin gets the "dramatic coatless stance artwork"?

I am catching up on the Cold Steel thread (fell behind the start of Chapter 3 there, been slowly making my way through). It is interesting seeing the differences between the games side by side, even with all the similarities in terms of core gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tita was not who I was expecting to be our first returning party member. Admittedly, she always has a spot in my heart due to being able to successfully wield a gatling gun/orbal cannon combination weapon while weighing about 10 pounds soaking wet. That said, I fully predict Agate's arrival in about...two or three updates accompanied by his usual loud incoherent yelling.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Yeah, the order in which people join is fairly random, although there are a few points where it's pretty obvious whose gonna come out to play. Tita coming out first was something I liked, though. All her development thus far in the series has been in relation to Estelle, Agate, or her grandpa. It's cool to see her standing on her own two feet and seeing who she is on her own.
Yeah, I figured with the game talking about Zane/Zin/Butch Deadlift, he'd be the first to show up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Erpy posted:

FC had Agate nearly dying to a fatal dose of neurotoxin. SC had him thoroughly thrashed by Loewe. 3rd wouldn't be a proper Trails game if Agate wasn't subjected to a new round of physical abuse. RIP Agate. :allears:
So based on this trend, Agate's upcoming appearance in Cold Steel 3 is going to be sidelined for a period of time because the Ashen Chevalier just falls on him for no reason.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am curious as to why Fresh Water is a recipe one can make and not a consumable item. That just feels weird.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

Although, Vander, you still had 2 out of 3 chances of getting stiffed there, have you seen Olivier's sister? Speaking of, why was he assigned to the bastard son? Who got assigned to Alfin and Cedric?
Judging by the Cold Steel thread, Elise Schwarzer has practically been duped into the role of Alfin's unofficial chaperone/BFF/prank magnet. Hopefully, Elise will be able to get in touch with Mueller to learn some pointers on dealing with the Arnor family some day.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

This game is basically going to be "Everything and everyone in Zemuria dunks on Gilbert for shits and giggles: The Game", isn't it?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

It doesn't matter to her - she wants to polish her own bright stick. :v:
Shame on you.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I look forward to the continuing adventures of Seig dunking on random punks in cutscenes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Really Pants, I'd say to make things easier on yourself and go with your suggested team.

Erpy posted:

I love how the game blatantly admits Weissmann is such a huge ham he couldn't possibly be the Lord of Phantasma because the mask would prevent him from stuffing the scenery into his mouth at a fast enough rate. :)
Indeed, that was a nice touch. Also, I'm a bit surprised Ries doesn't know about Kevin's little showdown with Weissmann. I'm half-expecting that to become a plot point down the road.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

^^^E: Fair enough.

Tamba posted:

She knows, and was about to explain it, but Kevin shut her up with his interruption.
Ah, whoops. Misread that line.

Wait, then why is Kevin being coy about admitting he killed Weissmann? You'd think he'd at least be able to say, "yeah, that motherfucker is like super dead".

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 20, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

My favorite part of this scene is imagining Joshua being some secret uber stalker, keeping tabs on every single person Estelle meets and every person those people meet and so on every day while they're travelling without end all while Estelle is none the wiser.

Well it's funny to me.
I have a feeling that by now Estelle probably has caught on a bit to Joshua's...er, "information gathering habits", but knows that such behavior has been ingrained in Joshua for so long, that she just sighs and hopes he doesn't go too overboard. Mostly by reminding him of the very large stick she carries.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And once again, Mueller resists the urge to "accidentally" run his sword through Olivier's face. Also, never stop being you, Olivier. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Anelace is the best.

I certainly hope that she and Rean trained together, because I really want her to show up in Cold Steel 3 and have a duel with himfall into her boobs for a comedy moment.
You know that's actually what will happen.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have to give credit to Doppel Agate for retaining the original's talents of "hit things really hard with a sword". Sadly it loses points for omitting the incoherent yelling part of Agate's combat style, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

Agate actually feels more mature than Erika, and that's utterly terrifying if you stop and think about it. It's a small miracle Tita is as well adjusted* as she is.

*relatively speaking, of course. She still owns a machinegun bigger than she is, a killsat**, and she was perfectly willing to go against Ouroborous at the venerand age of 13.
**no seriously that s-craft :wtc:
Look at who Tita's mother is and how she behaves. Is an orbital satellite laser cannon really outside her levels of insanity?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

drat, Agate is tougher than I gave him credit for. Although, I'm a bit surprised they didn't give Agate and Tita some form of a tag-team craft, like a Dragon Dive variant performed by Tita chucking Agate like a fastball. Unless they're saving that for Cold Steel 3, that is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can't believe that Kevin is dead.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Really Pants posted:

are you ready

for pictures

of fish

But...but I wanted pictures of Spiderman. :(

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

At this point, I'm expecting Sieg to be the next recruitable party member.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BearDrivingTruck posted:

He came with Kloe.
I completely forgot about that. :doh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Erpy posted:

That's okay, the cast has plenty of virgins to spare.
We're not sacrificing Olivier to save the day, dammit!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Agate, I'm starting to think that hanging around the entire Russell family is very bad for your health. Like, you have a better chance of surviving the unrestrained wrath of Aidios at this point than surviving an hour with the Russell family.

Also, Anelace. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe it's the angle, but Osbourne's artwork for this game just feels...off to me. He definitely looks better in Cold Steel with the 3D models; here, he looks like his face is being squished to one side.

Also, Olivier. :allears: Of course he'd go all out just for a drive-by taunting.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Add me to the "Bring Zin/Zane for the last two fights" bandwagon. Especially given that last shadowy portrait.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

If that's what the copy version of Kilika can do, I can only imagine what the real Kilika can do when properly motivated.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, I'm not surprised that Morgan's fighting style is of the "slow speed, but powerful enough to TPK your rear end if you're not careful" variety. With how cautious and rigid he is as a person, it's no surprise he'd take a more conservative approach to fighting; let the opponent do all the flashy nonsense, Morgan will just calmly walk up and axe them in the face in response. It's a nice contrast to Cassius' more laid-back personality. On the other hand, Morgan being a giant poo poo wrecker means that much like Kilika, I am disappointed we've never had him as a playable cast member, even if he'd have a lot of overlap with Zin's roles in the party.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, the games really do not like Josette, at least from a mechanical perspective. Potentially holding off her S-Craft until now is a doozy of a dick move, since it could be possible for the player to not do the Sun Doors and just blitz through the plot. On the other hand, I do like the awareness the doppelganger versions of the boss fight characters have. They know they're fakes being used by someone else, but they have a job to do, so they're going to follow through despite their reservations. It's a nice little touch.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Going by RPG mechanics/gimmicks/quirks, I'm guessing that with a name like "Dreaming Bell Toll", it'd be a move that puts people to sleep. As for why it never seems to work on you Really Pants, maybe the chance of inflicting sleep is very low or something? :shrug:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, even coming into this blind, I figured that Rufina would play a role in the finale of this in some fashion. They've played up her importance to Kevin throughout this whole journey, so for her to not make a non-flashback appearance would have been surprising. The only question I had was "Is she the mastermind behind it all, or is something else afoot?", and it seems to be a little of column A, little of column B at the moment.

On the other hand, sweet merciful Aidios I did not expect that backstory for Kevin. :stare:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Of course we had to fight him again. After all the repeat boss battles, I'm not surprised Weismann made a comeback performance. On the other hand, the ancient Zemurians are on the fast track to rival the Guardians of Oa in the "dumb poo poo that you caused because you couldn't be loving bothered to put in a little oversight and care" category. Seriously, how do you make not one, but TWO systems that lack basic checks on them to prevent the system from going haywire and misinterpreting input data?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RE: Renne's star door: Imagine I posted :stonk: a million times here.

In more lighter things, if this is what the Russells can do currently with robot technology, I can only imagine what the future holds for them. Tita's going to be fielding an entire robot drone army when she shows up in Cold Steel 3, isn't she?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

And, uh... how are they going to get down from there?
My money is on Deus Ex Cassius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for everything, Really Pants. If that ending (and other games in this franchise) have shown, no matter what gets thrown at a Trails protagonist, at the end of the day said protagonist will a colossal lovable dork. Also, accept your fate, Renne. You are a member of the Bright family now; all that's left is to decide if you're the kid sister to Estelle or Estelle and Joshua's adoptive daughter. And also decide where Pater-Mater fits on the Bright family tree, now that I think about it.

• Locked thread