Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Really Pants posted:

CHEST PHRASES ARE BACK, BABY

:five:

Some Numbers posted:

Not to mention the Northern Jaegers and North Ambria. Granted Weissman was from North Ambria, but the area becomes a lot more relevant in the Cold Steel arc

Uh, I didn't know that; so Kevin decided for a middle finger the size of the Liber Ark at the end of SC, it makes sense that Weissmann was so pissed for those five seconds. The question now is, did W became :argh: rear end in a top hat supreme :argh: because of North Ambria or was he always like that?

E: Kevin is already lamenting the lack of an easily trolled Estelle in his life :lol:

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dorothy, keep on keeping on and being you. :3:

tithin posted:

How do the Trails of Cold Steel games tie into Trails in the Sky?

The Sky series takes place in Liberl (more or less anime UK), the Cold Steel series is in the neighboring Erebonia (anime Germany led by chancellor anime Bismark).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hi, Tita's mom.
If you want some help to hide Agate's corpse, I'm sure Kevin would understand.

E: update 3 posts ago last page.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Edvarius posted:

I dread the day Erika and Anlace meet. Especially if somebody they would deem cute is nearby.

At the Russel's for dinner? With Tita present?

Olivier will be able to hear (and probably recognize) the voices from Erebonia.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is it just me, or does masked man look a LOT like Loewe?
Because, even if I'm fairly confident in saying he's not actually a revived Loewe, either way it isn't a good thing at all.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I'd say not to worry. It is a departure from the formula, but not in a bad way. I mean, I admit I'd have played it anyway, but do you really want to explore the entirety of Liberl a third time?

Yes :colbert:
(Ok, actually twice was more than enough)

Although I'm probably in the minority that enjoyed chapter 7 of SC (or was it 8) loving worms excluded.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Oh. And Even More OlivierTM.

They clearly know what we want. Can't wait for Reis to react to the greatness that is Olivier.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, it's super interesting in retrospect that the Cold Steel cast treats that revelation with a "huh, okay, weird."

Maybe they don't know enough to realize that it's a big deal.

I agree that it's probably that they don't know enough to make a proper deal out of it, and the only one that could possibly understand never shares information as a rule (:argh:).
Falcom loves to put in little details that the PCs have no context to properly understand, but can make a faithful player go "oh loving crap this isn't good".

However, in the name of the Goddes, what is happening in Erebonia during Cold Steel that there are multiple areas with the high elements active?
(Rethoric and spoilery question, noone actually answer please)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Really Pants posted:

All except for the shattering quartz. That's just a dick move.

Well, we already saw a masked man who totally wasn't Loewe*, so I'd assume there was some Weissmann bleedthrough somewhere in the line.

*as I said, I don't think that dude is actually Loewe, but it still raises further questions.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erika is probably forgetting about which way the type advantage flows between cyborg ninjas and Metal Orbal Gears, and while Agate is not a cyborg ninja (yet) he has a HF blade since the kerfuffle with the dragon back in SC.

Wait, that's why she was so pissed at Agate at the beginning of this game, apart from his general Agateness. He scrapped her robot. (He's going to scrap her robot? What's the proper tense for an event that has already happened but we viewers haven't seen yet?)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Of course Julia has fangirls :allears:

Although, Vander, you still had 2 out of 3 chances of getting stiffed there, have you seen Olivier's sister? Speaking of, why was he assigned to the bastard son? Who got assigned to Alfin and Cedric?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Come on, Kevin, you usually think faster on your feet than this. Just say that you excpect Joshua to be sealed here too.

Speculation 1: is the thing or person that is creating this situation to begin with pulling memories out of the party's mind?
Speculation 2: mistery female voice is Rufina, somehow. (Probably not, Kevin would recognize her, but the possibility is there)

Is this storyline about Estelle?
(Is someone collating all the x/y chest storylines)

E: I realize there's probably a wiki somewhere with all the chest phrase storylines well ordered, but Ibi Sunt Spoiler Dracones.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Doomhammer posted:

Josette can cast earth wall, and as such is a perfectly usable character (heck, she even got to kill (Late SC spoilers, just to be safe) Loewe my last time through SC. And then ruined Loewe and Joshua's big reunion hug by insinuating they were a little 'too' close) She's just always outclassed by literally anyone else.

Actually, I should use her a bunch next time I play through 3rd, see if she tries to ruin any big scenes in this game as well.

That's more on earth wall being so broken it has transcended into the platonic ideal for brokenness.
As for the second, anything involving Joshua or Estelle is a safe bet (I assume E & J are in this game too).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I like how boss fights escalated over the trilogy.

Trails in the Sky: Mostly other people, occasional monster thrown in. Final boss was a giant robot.

Trails in the Sky 2: First main game boss was a giant robot, most boss fights are strong, unique monsters and members of an elite secret society, final boss is a man who turns into a giant monster.

Trails in the Sky 3: Literal demons from Gehenna.

I dunno, both Weissmann and the literal demons from Gehenna are nowhere as difficult as the single strongest swordsman in Zemuria.
Unless Third Chapter's final boss is the Schwarzritter flanked by two Loewes at once, I don't see how can they top that.

By the way, the gently caress is a Schwarz? Did the main villain here really call himself the dark knight?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Seems that Weissmann (:argh:) was an orphan from the Ambria tragedy.
Were he and Kevin acquaintances before W went heretic? Because using the Salt Pale for the executions is the sort of pettiness usually reserved for personal slights.

Then again, Weissmann. There's no way the Church wouldn't use an horribly overpowered artifact to make sure he was dead beyond any shadow of doubt, and he totally deserved the middle finger.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

Given how Cassius is said to "understand the true nature of all things", I imagine that as a game protagonist, he'd be a bigger Gary Stu than people were accusing Joshua of being. :haw:

People were accusing Joshua of Stu-iness?
:psyduck:
:psyboom:

Did they loving miss the end of First Chapter bombshell?

Erpy posted:

Yeah, though frankly that one was rather believable without any handwaving. Since Cassius is a former army colonel who's worshipped by many of the army's veterans and who still has tons of contacts within the Royal Army, it goes without saying he would have been able to crack the case open a lot easier and faster than Estelle and Joshua could, even without his S-ranked fighting skills and Sun Tzu-like planning abilities.

Colonel Richard what are you doing?
Colonel Richard you stop this coup this instant and explain why you thought it was a good idea or Aidios help me I'll be very disappointed in you.

How Cassius would have solved the coup.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Anelace :woop:
Cuteness is justice.
I still want a trails of cute justice game, Falcom.

Random thought, she's master Ka-fai granddaughter, right? She's about 2 years Rean's senior, you think their training might have overlapped some?

Lynkericious posted:

After having played the Cold Steel games, I can say I easily appreciate the amount of foreshadowing and little hints they drop here and there about how hosed up Erebonia is, and the kind of dude their chancellor actually is.

Chancellor von Hitler is kinda an horribly evil dude.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

Anelace is the best.

I certainly hope that she and Rean trained together, because I really want her to show up in Cold Steel 3 and have a duel with him.

I think his thick skull is a bit beyond even the eight leaves style. It would still own

By the way, funny way of spelling Estelle there mister :colbert:

Although, everyone is the best here. They even managed to make me forgive and like that jerk Agate, and let me tell you how much patience I have for that character archetype.
It's probably why I love the Trails series.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

I like to think that the reason that sword is so powerful is that Cassius used it for so long he beat himself into it.

I'd say it's his Zemurian ore weapon. I wonder, what books did he have to collect in his time?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

Is Lugran the name that triggers Olivier's PTSD and causes him to retreat into a corner and adopt the fetal position in an attempt to get the flashbacks out of his mind? No? Then he can't be the best Bracer Guild steward.

Is anyone going to do this with Muller present?
Please tell me once we rescue Shera she's going to mention Aina with Muller present.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

You know a character is cartoonish when they actually SAY "woosh" and "zoooooom" while hightailing it out of there. (and that's not even the most cartoonish thing she does in this door)

Agate actually feels more mature than Erika, and that's utterly terrifying if you stop and think about it. It's a small miracle Tita is as well adjusted* as she is.

*relatively speaking, of course. She still owns a machinegun bigger than she is, a killsat**, and she was perfectly willing to go against Ouroborous at the venerand age of 13.
**no seriously that s-craft :wtc:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On one hand, I can get onboard with trolling Agate, because he's the second best target after Estelle in terms of reactions and he really, really deserves a good trolling.
On the other hand, can we please get some other trolling material, please? Overprotecting mother misunderstanding the situation is funny, the rest of Liberl getting on the act is not.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

And thus Agate was roped into becoming the stoolpidgeon character in a family sitcom. Be sure to tune in next week to Redhead and the Russells.

Also, Agate getting subjected to a disproportionate quantity of physical abuse seems to become a running gag in the series. At least it didn't involve nerve toxin or an elite Ouroboros enforcer this time. Kinda makes me worry about what Falcom has in store for him in Cold Steel III. Getting stepped on by a Divine Knight? Getting launched out of a Railway Cannon? Having to sample Margarita's cooking?

The Divine Knight bit is all but assured and I can see an insane plot needing Agate to be shot out of a cannon while Olivier is munching popcorn in the background.
Margarita's cooking, I think he'll be spared that. The most I can see is Margarita trying and Tita intervening during a slapstick sequence.
Oh, and he'll have to witness Rean headpatting Tita.

How old are Tita and Agate going to be in CS3 by the way?

Super Jay Mann posted:

If you don't like Erika's Success Dance then you have no soul.

Case in point, grandpa Russel.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Poor Joshua never stood a chance :3:
No gloomy faces allowed indeed.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
E: Estelle's the best

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 16, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nrook posted:

Was Trails the 3rd rushed in development at all? I'm surprised Falcom released it without noticing such a massive bug.

Estelle has a staff with your name on it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AradoBalanga posted:

Agate, I'm starting to think that hanging around the entire Russell family is very bad for your health. Like, you have a better chance of surviving the unrestrained wrath of Aidios at this point than surviving an hour with the Russell family.

I can't wait for CS3, if nothing else for Class 7's reaction to the inevitable scene(s) where Olivier trolls Agate.

quote:

Also, Anelace. :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Really Pants posted:

introducing: the actual protagonist of all three Trails series

Bit late for this, but:
Olivier has balls of pure zemurian ore. "What, you have outmaneuvered me at every turn? Have a rose petal shower you villainous cur, and challenge accepted".
As most* Ironbloods, dammit I hate Lechter. He's similar to Bleublanc in some ways, in that they're horribly evil people that would gladly let the world burn to enjoy the pretty flames, hiding their ugliness behind a façade. A pity Kloe can't really call him on it.

*I'm mostly excluding Millum on the Joshua principle: she's a child soldier and I hope she gets some deprogramming.

As for the parties, Agate and Estelle and Julia and Renne afterwards looks good.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Really Pants posted:

also everyone reading this has diabetes now. I'm sorry

You should not be :colbert:

Apart from that:
Holy Mary that didn't just happen, did it?
She didn't spend a good afternoon playing with a baby dragon, did she?
It actually happened, didn't it?

This series.
Now watch this scene be supremely important in 3 or 4 games' time.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, this Door is super surreal and it's not really obvious whether the events actually happened or not.

Considering the baby dragon was well informed about recent events, including the Aureole?
They happened. Oh boy they happened.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ultrafilter posted:

Bleublanc is Enforcer no. 10, so yeah, this is a pretty big hint.

Care to elaborate if you have any idea? I have no clue how 10 could link to Bleublanc beyond B declaring "I'm an Enforcer, who cares about details like who I was before that"

Super Jay Mann posted:

Pfft, look at some of you acting like any if those backstories were actually true and that Bleublanc isn't just screwing with everyone as per usual. :colbert:

That's from an Imperial agency though? Regardless of Bleublanc trolling them I doubt that all three of X, Y and Z could have been Bleublanc's fabrications.
You'd need a time machine and if nothing else, you'd think that Ouroborous wouldn't let him access it just to troll people.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 13, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

And now I'm feeling like a moron.

On other thoughts, I wonder if that noblewoman joined up with Ouroborous.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

Even if you can't guess what the final fight is, you won't actually be surprised.

It's Cassius, isn't it?
With Bleublanc (as in, the actual Bleublanc) teleporting in somehow to provide commentary.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

And yeah, that cliffhanger is brutal.

It still can't beat the Sky First Chapter cliffhanger.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Olivert’s description of what happened to other states which got annexed by Erebonia:
“It starts with a small nation or independent state with an array of problems beyond repair. Those problems start to worsen, after which jaegers and other dangerous elements enter, plunging public order to an all-time low...”

That sounds an AWFUL lot like what happened to Liberl.

As for chancellor von Evil vis a vis the tragedy of Hamel, Weissmann only claimed responsibility for the original idea, not for the actual execution of the plan.
Whether Osbourne was actually complicit or not is frankly immaterial, because he saw that poo poo and said to himself, I can do so much better.
Especially after he tried again 8 years later. There was that funny business with the steam tanks after all.

Hell, do we know why he was appointed chancellor? Because I just thought he might have been the one to expose the false flag plot in the first place.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Super Jay Mann posted:

I do love how Renne, who 97% of the time is one of either smug, bratty, or sinister, gets to Cassius and even she's like "Yeah I got nothing :stare: "

Renne hanged out regularly with Loewe, who is canonically somewhat stronger than Cassius, and one assumes she met her co-workers at some point, like that particular enforcer first introduced in Cold Steel.
She's terrified not because Cassius is horribly powerful, but because he's made himself a completely unreadable blank slate and that should not be possible at all.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:allears:
The ghost of Loewe gets on the Agate shipping too.

In Cold Steel 3 we're totally going to have a Rean/Agate duel for headpatting rights.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Campanella isn't actively tormenting Gilbert and I'd think everyone in the society would know better than get between Campy and his toy.
That makes this situation either Campanella's project or completely unconnected to Ouroborous, and I'm going with the latter.

I'm honestly drawing a blank on other options, but I think we'll get a Rufina clone in this zone.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

If I understand it correctly, Kevin's Stigma grants him the ability to control the Spear of Loa, an artifact that is comparable to the Salt Pale (even if with less power); from the description it seems Kevin absorbed the Spear in his Stigma.
Terrifying thought: the Church thinks a future Dominion will have a Stigma that can control the Salt Pale.

This Rufina is interesting. All the other clones were based on the actual person, Rufina is based more on Kevin's desire to be punished; the real Rufina would have never accepted K wallowing in his own guilt, and Ries correctly calls both Kevin and the clone on this; thus, a clone following the pattern we saw with the others would have tried to get Kevin's head out of his backside (operative word: tried).

Next, how did this whole situation start? I'm going to speculate a bit: I think it's somewhat related to the Aureole.
Simplifying a lot and I may getting poo poo wrong, the Aureole was able to fulfill wishes by dropping the wisher in a dream world.
Considering Kevin's massive guilt complex, what may have happened is that the Aureole, in the few seconds between Weissmann's end and Campanella's pickup, might have noticed Kevin's wish and started to fulfill it.
Thus, the Lord of Phantasma is not Rufina, but rather how Kevin feels Rufina should behave towards a dirty sinner like him.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That is truly his personal hell: so many chances to chew on the scenery, with no option but to observe in silence. Considering the rules of this place, Kevin better turn him into table condiment again or I'll be really disappointed.

By the way, you repeated the title image inside the update, right at the start.

E: update last page

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:allears:
You know, that is a really good question. How did he end up down here, exactly?

Apart from that, of course the gang would storm Hell to rescue a friend in need. I don't get why Kevin and Ries were even surprised.

E: I almost forgot

Renne posted:

Oh, my... This looks like a 1:1 replica of Gehenna.

So many questions about this. How do you know how Gehenna looks like, Renne?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 5, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Not only do the scriptures list at least 77 named devils, they also describe them in enough detail that each and every one of them can be uniquely identified at a quick glance by a priest. That's a highly suspicious amount of work put into it... it makes the implications rather unsettling.

I get the feeling Zemurian Dante actually went to Gehenna, unlike Italian Dante. Zemurian Purgatory and Paradiso still remain fanfiction though.

quote:

It kinda makes sense. "Who is hurting the most, and is therefore the most in need of being granted their desire?" Like the Aureole, it doesn't give any thought into whether granting the wish would be harmful or not.

Can you imagine if it latched on Olivier instead?
Maid uniforms for everyone. Joshua gets the nice backless one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

To be fair to Kevin, it's not like he could have stopped Campanella in any way at that point. In the same way though, Campanella probably couldn't stick around to kill Kevin without risking the destruction of the staff holding the Aureole, and Kevin would absolutely roll the dice on that.

The Grandmaster is such a gigantic hypocrite.
Oh no Weissmann was a sociopath, how uncouth. Now let me take no corrective action while he kicks puppies and chews scenery* for fun.
Oh no our plans mean the death and suffering of countless people. How sad. Now let's start the next part of the plan, FULL SPEED AHEAD, can't make an omelette without horribly torturing some chickens. Torture gives that certain je ne sais quoi to the eggs, you see.

E: *ok, no-one minds someone that can properly chew scenery. First point still stands

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 13, 2017

• Locked thread