Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It seems like you missed a picture in your last update. Was that intentional or an oversight? Does it violate the file hosts TOS?

The console versions censor this door by cutting out everything before Loewe and Joshua bust in, in other words, close to 80% of the whole door. They didn't want to deal with the increased age-rating.

Anyway, this door's probably the reason the :stare: , :stonk: and :stonklol: emoticons were invented. No other reactions do it justice. This is one part that was really, really easy to mess up and devolve into mindless shock value. Instead, the fact that it's so chilling is because it's just subtle enough to make a lot of allusions without immediately showing. (until THAT picture pops up on the screen just to kill any denial the player might still be clinging onto) This door, messed up as it is, is a real tribute to the writing team at Falcom and the localization team at XSeed. Since Renne mentioned in SC that there were other children, it actually took me a while to grasp that Cross and the other three weren't real children, but alternate personalities that Renne used as coping mechanisms to avoid going insane, before her self-made barriers eventually crumbled. (as such I initially missed the connection between "Cross" and the shape of those cuts in the closeup)

Even the reward has an unsettling name. (I usually put it on Tita myself due to her AOE normals)

It also confirms that, yes, there are worse assholes than Ouroboros in Zemuria and after Weissmann, that bar was pretty frigging high already.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Renne's subplot is continued in the Crossbell games, which is one more reason to hope it'll make state-side eventually.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Junpei posted:

I... what... just... the... gently caress? I mean, I heard a little about Renne's backstory from Zero/Ao, but... drat, Renne needs a hug.

By the way, there's an additional picture that's shown in the game after Loewe and Josh raid Paradise. What the two of them remark about isn't alluded, it's actually shown:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zl62avFw_2c/maxresdefault.jpg

Sweet dreams.

Edit: Goes without saying, the subject matter being what it is, but don't let your boss catch you viewing this on your work computer.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 10, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

CmdrKing posted:

It also adds a lot of darkness to Pater Mater. Linking up to the robot causes mental strain that keeps rendering the potential pilots catatonic? No problem, just hook the girl with multiple personalities up to it! It'll be fine!

I suspect the multiple personality coping mechanism may have been the reason she didn't share the fate of the other pilots. When the others linked to Pater Mater, it put strain on their sense of self, often even destroying it. Renne had such a strong sense of dissociation, she was able to keep the robot's "conciousness" separate from her own. It's possible "Pater Mater" is simply another split personality that Renne uses to control it, one she created to watch over her like Cross and the others.

The report did mention she suffered from flashbacks during the connection process.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The fact that the final arena battle isn't as nightmarish as it could have been is probably due to the fact that their Chapter 6 incarnations are in many ways stronger. Arena Cassius has higher HP and defense than Leiston Cassius, but Leiston Cassius' Str-stat is 50 points higher than his Arena counterpart's and his Spd-stat is 10 points higher. Likewise, Schwarzritter's Str and Spd are 101 and 31 points higher than Arena Loewe's. So it's not just that you're stronger now, Cassius and Loewe are less deadly than their Chapter 6 incarnations, even if they can withstand more punishment.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, this is one major door for the series overarcing plot. Several people behind those SEELE monitors pillars haven't even been identified, even after 7 games.

One of them has through a little optional conversation in SC:

quote:

One of the Anguis is a man called Doctor Novartis. He leads the 'Thirteen Factories' of Ouroboros in their development of radical orbal technology. At least, that's what I was told, back when.

It's obvious that Number 6 is Novartis.

This scene is also pretty interesting to watch once you've completed CS1 and CS2, since another one of the voices is introduced in those games.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
This door was also turned into a Drama CD later which revealed the fact that Ouroboros' Grandmaster is female and fueled all the more speculation as to her identity.

Omobono posted:

The Grandmaster is such a gigantic hypocrite.
Oh no Weissmann was a sociopath, how uncouth. Now let me take no corrective action while he kicks puppies and chews scenery* for fun.
Oh no our plans mean the death and suffering of countless people. How sad. Now let's start the next part of the plan, FULL SPEED AHEAD, can't make an omelette without horribly torturing some chickens. Torture gives that certain je ne sais quoi to the eggs, you see.

E: *ok, no-one minds someone that can properly chew scenery. First point still stands

The Grandmaster seems to have some very hands-off philosophy, similar to how enforcers are given absolute freedom to either go along with a plan, sit it out or even actively work against it. That said, the Grandmaster DID put two safeguards in place against Weissmann going rogue. The first one was Loewe, whose sword Kernviter was designed as an anti-Aureole weapon. The second one was Weissmann's staff, which had similar origins as Loewe's blade (SC called it Divergent Laws weapons) which was able to absorb the Aureole into itself. (both were apparantly forged by the Grandmaster) Unlike Loewe, Weissmann had no idea his weapon had this ability. When the staff absorbs the Aureole, reversing his transformation in the process, Weissmann's like "What the heck just happened?".

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Stephen9001 posted:

I dunno, she's decided that she wants to make absolutely sure they can never fall into human hands again after seeing how humans hosed up with them? Confiscating them basically. And yes, I realise that "let human hands get ahold of these sealed away artifacts so they can be never fall into human hands" sounds kinda dumb, but it wouldn't be the first time something dumb sounding was a plot point in fiction. Perhaps the logic goes "yes, removing these artifacts from the world requires that humans get ahold of them for a short while, but after the brief period of turmoil the artifact is removed and is never again a potential risk, whereas if it is left sealed it is possible some clever humans could find them and use them to cause havoc unimpeded. This way they are taken into my care." Or something like that anyway.

Anyway that's all if the grandmaster is Aidios, which would seem cliched somehow, yet I feel we could trust Falcom to pull it off in a good way.

It's probably a LITTLE bit more complicated than that. For one, the meta plan of which the Gospel Plan (unseal and then obtain the Aureole) and the Phantasmal Blaze Plan (whatever they aim to do in Crossbell and Erebonia) is called the Orpheus Final Plan. Orpheus being a rather obvious reference to the act of bringing a loved one back from the dead. (and then letting said loved one slip through one's fingers once the goal's in sight)

Some Numbers posted:

Aidios being the Grandmaster requires the logical leap of "Aidios decided to gather the Sept-Terrions, but needs a huge shadowy organization instead of using her goddess powers because...???"

Because the Sept-Terrion of Space was essentially a wish-granting supercomputer while the fragments of what's probably the Sept-Terrion of Fire are (Cold Steel games spoilers) giant mechas. There are speculations that "Aidios" was not so much a literal godess who could snap her fingers to make stuff happen, but was actually a scientist who was able to create some REALLY out-there technology and as such isn't literally omnipotent, even if she seems to have some powers of foresight.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Mraagvpeine posted:

There are 7 Sept-Terrions and they are likely spread across the continent with each one in a single country. How many countries are we aware of so far?

Liberl, Erebonia, Calvard, North Ambria, Ored, Leman, Crossbell and Remiferia as far as I recall. There's probably places like Nord (the highlands north of Erebonia) too that aren't really considered states, yet have their own unique culture. And then there's apparantly countries farther east too. Those immigrants moving to Calvard from the east have to come from SOMEWHERE. That said, nobody ever said there's one Sept-Terrion in each single country, especially since a country like Erebonia used to be a patchwork of smaller countries that eventually united in a single empire that then also got itself a chancellor who started stitching on border states left and right.

CmdrKing posted:

I've always hoped the notion that the Grandmaster is Aidios was wrong for a simpler reason: much as 3rd adds some dark shades to the Septian Church, the fact that they made a big international religion in a jRPG a reliable source of support and allies to the side of good is amazing to me. Tossing that aside for a plot twist would be such a drat waste.

Who said it'd be tossed aside? If the Grandmaster turns out to be Aidios, it'd be kinda interesting seeing that the organisation under her command is the Society and not the Church.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 13, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
During my second playthrough, when I knew what to expect, I put Renne in the team to fight the Golden Giant (I believe she actually has some lines unique to that boss) with Tita fighting alongside her because it was nice story-wise. Richard had a chance to take down the Black Guardian because he deserved a chance to take something like that down and Agate fight the Crimson Lizard. I put Estelle and Joshua on the main path since it felt good to have the final battle be fought by the four protagonists.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In addition to the "Speak Lies" skill, the Tildawn's physical attack also carries an instant-death property, which makes these things even bigger assholes.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Having Renne summon Real Pater Mater to cannonmurder Gold Pater Mater is the only right way to end that battle.

quote:

Phantasma has been taking in people's desires for thousands of years now, and it's starting to hit the limits of its own capacity. In order to release some of the pressure that's been building up within, it's likely it will start to erode away the real world.

It won't be something that happens overnight... but slowly, its influence will start to extend across the land, blurring the line between this world and yours.

Until eventually, the real world will be filled with devils and ghosts like this one.

This conversation sheds some light on certain things in the Cold Steel arc that never really get explained there. (Cold Steel 1 and 2 spoilers)

At the start of Chapter 1 of this game, Kevin and Ries note how extremely strange it is that not just one but all three of the higher elements are present in the area. In the Cold Steel games, you visit several areas where these higher elements are also present and while Emma briefly acknowledges this, it's never stressed how utterly bizarre this is and what it could mean. While this phenomenon might be intended in locations like the old schoolhouse at Thors and Lohengrin Castle (and possibly the Ancient Quarry if the "statue" in Nord isn't really a statue after all), which are locations where Divine Knights are sealed and as such are essentially testing grounds for potential Awakeners, other locations include the catacombs underneath Heimdallr and in CS2 even Lunaria Nature Park suddenly gets "infected".

In addition, "Cryptids" suddenly start spawning in various locations across Erebonia, creatures that shouldn't exist in the real world, and yet do. This is clearly the same thing not-Rufina was alluding to in the quoted lines about the real world being filled with devils and ghosts. Near the end of Cold Steel 2, even a formerly functioning location like the old schoolhouse goes haywire, turning into a mini-Phantasma (Thomas even directly compares the two) and letting the party explore what's kind of a debug room that wasn't supposed to be accessed by users.

It's not explained at all in Cold Steel aside from some generic lines about "imbalance", but 3rd all but implies that what threatened to happen with Phantasma in Liberl is already happening in Erebonia; a Sept-Terrion sub-system is slowly but steadily going haywire and is starting to erode the real world. Better step up your game, Rean. There's a malfunctioning eldritch external harddrive that must be head-patted into submission.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 18, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

quote:

Am I the only one who somehow got reminded of Majora's Mask when Anima dislodged that frame and the thing in the middle started spinning? Uh, nevermind.

Anyway, Stigma Cannon Megidelus did about between 25000 and 27000 points of damage to me on normal, around level 140 with defense buffed. Zin and Orbal Tita should be able to tank it if their buffs are in place and you raised your HP. (most of your party have more HP at this point than the final boss in FC did, they've come a long way. Remember when Death Rage's 2700 was a nearly guaranteed instant kill on a character?) I imagine that on Hard and Nightmare, Grail Sphere is the only thing standing between you and an unconditional party wipe. This battle can be nasty if you're not protected against status ailments. It's easy for the thing to get lucky and trap your party in a never-ending freeze/faint loop. Fortunately there's grail lockets on your way here plus the reward you got from clearing all memory doors. The game did warn you this battle was gonna be the roughest.

XainZero posted:

You want to bring revival spells to this fight in case of one of your party members gets isolated because of platform destruction. I had no revival spells so I had only 3 people alive during the last phase of the fight. The final boss theme is real good. Very different from SC's.

I assume the one who bit it was Ries? Because if not, her revival/healing craft works from a distance even if you lack thelas/athelas.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 19, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Bestelle has to show Kevin how it's done one last time.

In a way, this ending is kinda meta too, since the player also says goodbye to this cast of characters, not knowing when or whether he/she'll ever get to see any of them again. (well, obviously many of them appear in future arcs, but that's reading ahead)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

One thing I noticed when reading through the fights - is Renne the only one who doesn't make angry eyebrows in her S-Break cutaway thing (whatever that's called?) Noticing that was actually kinda creepy, but also very in character - "I'm not angry, I'm enjoying killing you."

Joshua had the same "dull eyes of emptiness" in his cut-away in FC, before he got better. It was the same kind of hint that something was broken about this character.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
There's one more update to come, actually.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Ein was literally facepalming there. :allears:

Anyway, good job on finishing the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Which would indicate he didn't manage to come up with a title that satisfied Ein. Which would be funny in its own right.

• Locked thread