Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Hell yes, someone's LPing this.

Cake Attack's LP is actually what got me INTO this series, and of course I read Really Pants' LP of SC.

I actually played this as soon as it came out, but I'm looking forward to seeing someone else's playthrough of it (i.e. what did I miss?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Gustav calling Erika "kiddo" amuses me, mostly because she seems immature and bratty. He claims it's just because of habit, but he's totally calling it as he sees it. Even by Japanese standards, she should be at least in her late 20's.

Her one saving grace in my eyes is that she gave us Tita, the best murderchib. :v:

Really Pants posted:

Antoine: Nyaon?

The best character from FC and SC returns! I am disappointed he doesn't get his own portrait. :colbert:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I wouldn't say Kevin and Ries are just as good as Estelle and Joshua. More like good in a different way, because the interplay is significantly different between the two.

Gilbert immediately makes me want to dunk his head in the toilet, which means his character must be effectively written. :v:

As an aside, I really like how all the TitS games keep your character levels consistent, and just ramp up the enemy difficulty. Contrast it to something like Ultima where you've got the same character throughout the series, but you're knocked back to level 1 with no excuse or some bullshit excuse that doesn't fit with the canon (i.e. every time you come to Britannia, your skills are reset... except for Ultima 4/5/6 where you can character transfer.)

And beaten to this while typing my post:

Omobono posted:

Is it just me, or does masked man look a LOT like Loewe?
Because, even if I'm fairly confident in saying he's not actually a revived Loewe, either way it isn't a good thing at all.

Exactly my thought process. "Wait a minute, is that... nah, he died. ... didn't he? gently caress, this is going to su- what"

And now the game really starts. :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Xander77 posted:

It seemed like a huge departure from the series formula. And from the things that made it unique and fun. Having second thoughts about buying this (and I placed the game at the top of my steam wishlist the moment it came out)

I'd say not to worry. It is a departure from the formula, but not in a bad way. I mean, I admit I'd have played it anyway, but do you really want to explore the entirety of Liberl a third time? The dungeon is mostly a framing device for the character history sidequests (although it has its own story as well...)

As mentioned by others, the sidequests explore the history of various characters - either "what were they doing" or "what made them the way they are?" Some of them you play through, some of them have combat, some of them are basically little movies, some of them make for some really loving good speculation bait, and all of them are awesome.

Oh. And Even More OlivierTM.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Omobono posted:

Yes :colbert:
(Ok, actually twice was more than enough)

Although I'm probably in the minority that enjoyed chapter 7 of SC (or was it 8) loving worms excluded.

Like I said, I'd have played a Liberl-based 3rd, if only to see what all my favorite NPCs were up to. I even enjoyed SC Ch. 7 as well because it let me slow down and talk to everyone - but I also thought the change of venue was nice for the 3rd.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh hey, didn't notice this earlier. Glad to see Really Pants soldier on with this franchise. That said, why does promotion to protagonist mean that Kevin gets the "dramatic coatless stance artwork"?

Eh, plenty of new artwork in this game. Not that it's surprising, given the previous games.

AradoBalanga posted:

I am catching up on the Cold Steel thread (fell behind the start of Chapter 3 there, been slowly making my way through). It is interesting seeing the differences between the games side by side, even with all the similarities in terms of core gameplay.

I'm just waiting for someone to decide to do a SSLP of Cold Steel, since I can't devote the attention to VLPs (and hate people talking over a game besides.) Maybe once it comes out in English on PC.

... it's coming out in English for the PC, right? :ohdear:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

Sometime this summer, I think, with 5,000 extra voiced lines. :pcgaming:

welp.

Guess I'll have something else to play this summer.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Edited again: Let's just rewrite this, hmm?

I like this area. It's interesting despite the same-y colors, and is a good breather before you start dealing with monsters.

And this really did get me into the story. Here's an area we've never seen before (although we've seen something similar,) and obviously something weird is going on. I saw this and immediately wanted to start figuring out what was going on. :3:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 1, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I love how Kevin says "Holy Stregas." Of all the things he could pick up...

Alard posted:

Come on Kevin, open up that copy of Isthmian Tales. I want to see just what gets a book banned by the church. Also I was wondering if they were actually going to let you keep those starting quartz, so when they shattered them I was sad to see that Haze quartz go.

It's probably for the better. End level is around 140-ish I think, so it's better not to encourage you to avoid encounters then get curbstomped by the next boss.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Polsy posted:

Hey, if you're going to do that would you mind highlighting the update posts in some way so I don't skip over them assuming they're discussion?

I don't mind it since I tend to read all the posts anyway, but the link thing does make it kind of hard to quote bits and pieces to comment on them. :v:

Also, is this going to screw up whatever tool the archive uses to pull LP posts in?

With that said:

Really Pants posted:

Zane is Zin now, by the way. Or he was Zin, and then he was Zane, and now he's Zin again.

I dislike this change for some reason I can't put my finger on - it just doesn't feel right. On top of that, they actually patched FC and SC to make this change.

They also made a second change - the "hmm hmm" chuckle got changed to "hee hee" or "hehehe" or something like that. Another change I don't like. Why couldn't they put that time into fixing the NG+ quartz bug or making my character status boxes show up properly? :argh:

And Tita is the best little murderer. She pretty much always had a spot on my team when I didn't need to bring others for Plot ReasonsTM.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I like the riddles for these doors. They're simple enough that a bit of character knowledge should be enough to get you through them, but they're also clever.

I think it's pretty obvious which second character this door is asking for, but I'll let people who haven't played the game speculate.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

Even if the player has somehow forgotten the entire plot of SC, the actual contents of the first sequence inside the door make the answer to the second riddle death glaringly obvious.

Well, yes. This one is even less complicated than most of them. I still think it's neater than just coming out and saying "HEY BRING TITA THROUGH THIS DOOR"

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The problem I have with a lot of those doors is that they show recent events. Like, since the Liberl Ark incident. Why would they show recent memories to the characters?

I might be reading too much into this, but for a series that's good at storytelling, it feels sloppy

In my opinion, this is answered later in the game. Not explicitly, but in a "pretty easy to connect these dots" sense. I won't spoiler it here, but you can drop me a PM if you've played the game and you're curious about my thought on it.
And then there are the minigames, which are blatant padding. FISHING :argh:

Edvarius posted:

The Doors really feel like the weakest part of this game. I mean, some of these scenes have nice character bits that I can appreciate having, but at the same time the way they're presenting everything is just so random and disjointed. There's no coherent narrative to it at all, and that drags my enjoyment of the game down.

I agree that it seems disjointed, but I disagree that it's the weakest (or even a weak) part of the game.

We know that wherever we are, it isn't playing by any "rules" that make sense in the first place. The doors just add to the confusion of "where the hell are we?" and feeling that we're somewhere ~magical~. Why are we getting "memory fragments?" HOW are we getting "memory fragments?" And of course, what the hell ARE "memory fragments?" :v:

Some Numbers posted:

Interesting, I feel the opposite. I didn't find the dungeon levels very engrossing and the doors felt like a nice change of pace.

And then there's this. I was looking forward to finding doors, because they gave cool backstory to the characters or world. The dungeon had some neat bits in its story as well, but the doors (especially the actual door 14, the one with :downswords:, not the one with :gonk:) had awesome speculation bait.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Mzbundifund posted:

Do all these dungeon features like the ingredients tree, the shattering of your initial quartz, the shopping zone, etc. have any actual explanation? I understand if you can't answer this question without spoilers yet, but so far it feels like this place is 90% cheap gameplay contrivance and I can understand why I see so much criticism of the shift in game structure between this and earlier entries in the series.

In short, yes, it's all explained in a way.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

All except for the shattering quartz. That's just a dick move.

I think I could even explain that away, but it requires spoilers.

... not that I don't agree with it being a dick move.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Tita and Agate? Y'all have it all wrong.

Murdock x ulcers caused by the Russell family is the real OTP here.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 6, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Now I'm thinking of the other characters on social media because life is boring when you work third shift.

Estelle would just hit "share" on every picture with words that comes up on her Facebook feed.

Dorothy would be an Instagram celebrity and not even notice.

Tita doesn't post much, but when she does it's usually the inner workings of a machine or a picture of Agate.

Agate would only get a Facebook to appease Tita, and refuses to add Olivier.

Olivier has everything under the sun so he can troll everyone. His Tumblr handle is "BiBlondBard"

Mueller has everything Olivier has to keep tabs on him, and consistently gets tagged in embarrassing photos. He never posts.

Zin posts inspirational quotes on his Twitter and hilarious stories on his Facebook.

Schera just posts about her nights out with Aina.

Joshua would post a bunch of emo and broody stuff. Estelle would be a continual presence on his posts, trying to cheer him up.

Julia would post pictures of Liberl flags, crying falcons, and swords.

Cassius would post nothing but Dad jokes, naturally. Occasionally he'd post embarassing stories on Estelle and Joshua's walls.

Kurt would share yoga memes, with the occasional long drawn-out post about spiritual pursuits.

Anelace would run a hugely popular page (called Cuteness is Justice! of course) featuring all kinds of cute animals.

... someone needs to make that Facebook page.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

A lot of Erika's problems as a character would disappear if Tita would just say that her and Agate aren't an item but...she never does.

So much this. loving communication, people.

To be fair though, the implication is that Tita doesn't get that her mom thinks they're romantically involved. But if Erika would come out and actually SAY what she's thinking, instead of flipping her poo poo randomly, the whole thing might be resolved.

And where's the whole thing with Agate saving Tita and Albert's asses from Ourobouros? You'd think Erika and Dan would be grateful to Agate for keeping the kid (and the professor, to a lesser extent) from getting captured and/or killed.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Isn't Tita way too young for any of this?

She is 13. She's too young to be fooling around with someone Agate's age, but she's too old for her parents to assume that IF that's what's happening, she doesn't know (or is too young to understand) what's going on. Not that Erika cares. :v:

C'mon, Really Pants. Please post an update so we can move on from this until the next time we hit that door. :v:

Edit: Tweaked my wording around a bit.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 7, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Julia is the best. :allears:

Of course, pretty much all the characters have their :allears: moments in their own little ways.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

This chest quote made me giggle for 5 minutes straight when I first saw it, I swear.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

AradoBalanga posted:

I am curious as to why Fresh Water is a recipe one can make and not a consumable item. That just feels weird.

Maybe it's fresh as in "refreshing"?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Mueller hits like a tank, takes hits like a tank, and hey - he commands tanks too!

I admit though, I didn't use him all that much. I preferred other beatstick characters to him, if only for the crafts and damage output.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I really love Queen Alicia's character. She's not a caricature that just throws orders around - she's very human, and very much a leader. She knows how to deal with people without throwing her title around, despite her and everyone around her being aware of it.

I guess it's because I can't think of many other games where you get to see the Queen as either a quest-giver or an accessory to a king (who, to be fair, is also usually a quest-giver.) Even when you do see a well-characterized queen, they seem to tend towards the Dunan-esque attitude of "I'm the QueenNobility, do what I say."

I also like Julia's character moment here - it seems like a pretty clear-cut case of Impostor Syndrome. It's very relateable to me, and I like how she shows that she took Mueller's words to heart but still has that lingering self-doubt - it's not something you just shake off. Again, a great character moment in a game full of great characters. :allears:

Really Pants posted:

Julia hasn't had to use her Sister Ellen disguise since FC, but you know what they say: old habits die hard.

Goddammit. First the King's Quest thread, and now this. PUNS :argh:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Omobono posted:

(Is someone collating all the x/y chest storylines)

E: I realize there's probably a wiki somewhere with all the chest phrase storylines well ordered, but Ibi Sunt Spoiler Dracones.

Oddly, I looked around and couldn't find the Tales in the Chest. Of course, I was playing shortly after release, so that may have changed.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Josette's one of the few characters I dislike - and I don't want to. She's not terrible, but she's one of the worst out of a mostly great cast.

It's not even the lack of fighting ability (although that's part of it) - it's just that she's basically got two or three notes that get hit over and over. She's either fighting with Estelle, exhibiting loyalty to her brothers, or pining for Joshua. She gets a bit of character growth eventually (spoiler alert :v:) but it's really too little, too late.

And then they wasted her door on a lovely minigame? Why not give details of the bad business deal? Maybe a peek into what they were doing immediately before they became Sky Bandits? How about how the delivery service got started? Anything to break the monotony of her character and make me actually want to use her.

Compare her to... maybe Scherazard. It's kind of a bad comparison since she's one of the first playable characters you meet back in FC, but despite being kind of lovely in a fight (compared to the other characters available by the time you hit SC and with the caveat that I didn't use a lot of arts) and kind of one-note herself (drunkenness,) she gets better characterization. Josette's easily been around for as long as Scherazard in-game, but she just kind of gets poo poo on and it really annoys me.

... wow. That turned into a bit more of a rant than I expected.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

The Capuas were tossing around the shipping business idea as far back as SC, and we'll see a bit more about it later.

I vaguely remember that, but hell - give them a star door at least. Maybe replace Star Door #8 - it had neat worldbuilding info, but nothing that really seemed to tie into anything current very well.

I just think that, for as often as that whole crew shows up, they need more backstory. Either that, or relegate them to background character status like they really are and give us a different character in our party. :argh:

Really Pants posted:

It would be neat to meet the guy who scammed them in a later game and wind up kicking his rear end for completely unrelated reasons, though.

It'd be a neat callback, at least.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

well now you're just being ridiculous

Yeah, it's a weak argument, but it's probably the most "expendable" one out of all of them assuming you need to keep the same number of sun/moon/star doors in the first place. Otherwise, I'd just say to replace the loving shooter minigame. :v:

I'll stop now, because this is still making me a lot more rant-y than I expected to be.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The Doomhammer posted:

Those changing chest messages were a very nasty trick on XSEED's part.

I was unaware of this. With that said, either the "pack Mueller" chest quote is static (for some reason) or it just happened to fall in the same spot as it did in my game - I distinctly remember it being in the same place as it was for Really Pants, since I had to run back and get a screenshot of it.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

RegalStar posted:

What.

Shouldn't they be there one and half years later

It's 2 years after the Liber Ark incident. We've got a time fix based on Tita's age here (she was 11 in SC.)I obviously do not pay enough attention to things.

Erpy posted:

You're a little too eager, Josette. Somewhere in Phantasma, a very large stick with your name on it is being brightly polished.

It doesn't matter to her - she wants to polish her own bright stick. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 15, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Well poo poo, never mind then. Why did I think she'd been called out as 11?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Some Numbers posted:

Thanks for posting Ring of Judgment, I hadn't gotten around to reading it. It's shorter than I expected, but quite good.

It's cool to see what happened to that particular character. And that moment of recognition at the end is golden (at least, I think that's what it was.)

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

AradoBalanga posted:

Shame on you.

I'll get my coat.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Omobono posted:

Seems that Weissmann (:argh:) was an orphan from the Ambria tragedy.

Or "Alba" just claimed it because it'd be hard to fact check. Kinda like Hamel, but with less blame attached - who would they ask, the Jaegers?

Omobono posted:

There's no way the Church wouldn't use an horribly overpowered artifact to make sure he was dead beyond any shadow of doubt, and he totally deserved the middle finger.

I just thought it was delicious irony, given where he claimed to be from. I read this story, thought Ambria sounded familiar, and then started laughing once I connected the dots.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

Oh lord. What, regular old knifemurder isn't holy enough for the church anymore?

Alard posted:

Knifemurder is still fine, it just has too high of a survivability rate for their taste.

Pretty much this. It's #4 and #13 on the evil overlord list:

The Evil Overlord List posted:

4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.

<snip>

13. All slain enemies will be cremated, or at least have several rounds of ammunition emptied into them, not left for dead at the bottom of the cliff. The announcement of their deaths, as well as any accompanying celebration, will be deferred until after the aforementioned disposal.

If you ask me, it's the assassination equivalent of "Nuke it from orbit: It's the only way to be sure." The irony (or poetic justice or whatever the hell you want to call it) was just icing on the cake. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

One RPG cliché that always bothers me. No matter how badly the boss gets curbstomped, we're all "omg toughest fight ever how did we do that?" :argh:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'd love it if it was Olivier in that stone. You know he'd team up with the Lord of Phantasma just to troll his friends.

Most of us would, but sadly, "Wings of White" is a pretty clear clue.

Not enough Olivier yet! :colbert:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

vdate posted:

Sieg finally gets his chance to shine as a solo character!

Just you wait, spookyman! Once we have Julia's murderparrot on our side, nothing shall stand in our way!

Sieg is a better character than Kloe anyway. :colbert:

... really though, these games. Even the pet bird has like, 5 or 6 portraits. It's amazing. :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

Don: *munch* You're not gonna hear ME say no. All the complicated financial stuff goes right over my head, so just don't count on me there.

Heh. Speaking of my previous rant, I missed this line and its significance.

That looks weird for at least two reasons. First, I can't imagine Julia with long hair. Second, I can't imagine her out of uniform - even after having seen the whole "Sister Julia" thing. Of course, at least she looks properly unhappy being dressed up like that. :v:

Erpy posted:

I never get tired of the sight of Estelle and Josette teaming up to bully Joshua into submission. :allears:

:allears:

Erpy posted:

One thing that was a bit disappointing about SC was how quickly and abruptly it ended after the final boss was defeated. In FC, you got to run around Grancel and talk to practically everybody with a dialogue portrait. In SC, you escape the crumbling Liber Ark and the credits roll almost immediately. I had kinda been hoping for a celebration afterwards, so this door filled a void that was definitely there after finishing SC.

That was a bit of a disappointment. At least the ending credits roll gave us a bit of closure.

... although now that I'm thinking of it, I want to play a game starring Cassius as a newbie. Dude, how the gently caress did you end up befriending a Dragon?

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 19, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

Go ahead with your suggested team. I love how the game blatantly admits Weissmann is such a huge ham he couldn't possibly be the Lord of Phantasma because the mask would prevent him from stuffing the scenery into his mouth at a fast enough rate. :)

I'm going to second (or third or whatever it is by the time this posts) your suggested team. As I recall, the story beats aren't particularly different based on party (though I could be wrong <_<) and there's no need to make you suffer (and to be fair, not many lovely characters to make you suffer right now. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

So, I was looking through the Trails character art book (I totally bought both of the art books when I saw them in the SC thread, price be damned <_<) and I noticed something:

(or http://imgur.com/a/OgbNv if the embedded image doesn't work...)

Just an interesting little bit of insight into what that portrait was actually for.

• Locked thread