Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Today I finally finished my 100% playthrough of Sky SC. Got all the achievements too. Tomorrow I'll be starting this game and trying to catch up to the LP, although I probably won't finish my playthrough before the LP finishes.

EDIT: Started the Third and finished the prologue... to the prologue. Love the new normal battle music, I like it better than the normal battle music for the previous two games.

Does anyone know which .OGG file goes with which song? Is there a list matching ED6*** to the name of a song? I can make one myself, but it would save me a little time if one already exists.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just finished the first door (Orbal Gear Project 1). Hooolllllyyy crap, the cutscenes are so looooonnnngggggg.

As for Erika... she should learn that there's a fine line really thick line between "overprotective" and "psychotic".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 6, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, just reached the start of Chapter 2. I wouldn't have known to look for the Carnelia series back at the start if not for the LP. (I did find the one on the airship.)
Kevin somehow missed the third possibility: It was not Grancel at all and you're just in another part of Phantasma. That's my guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Finished Chapter 2 last night. Honestly I wasn't particularly feeling this game until Joshua showed up again. But between that and hints and an interesting secret for Kevin's backstory and his near-breakdown with rage at the end of chapter 2, I'm definitely liking this more. It's easy to forget that this didn't start when Kevin picked up the cube. That "Lord of Phantasma" was following him on the airship long before he was back in Grancel. That suggests this is more about Kevin than the cube.

- Gameplay wise, I'm probably never taking the gladiator belt off of Kevin because I can usually drop two 200 CP Grail Spheres per boss fight.
- I haven't been able to find "Till the Night of Glory" in the soundtrack files yet. It has to be there somewhere. EDIT: It's ED6586.

- I had no idea the chest messages change and would have missed it if not for the LP, although thankfully it's still night in Chapter 3 so I can just go around and get them again. ...as well as the chest in the castle dining hall which the chandelier blocked from view. ...and one in a guest room. ...and one at the very end of the garden terrace. I suck.
- I love the "haunted castle" remix of the Grancel Castle theme.
- That ghost woman on the Queen's terrace has gotta be Celeste Auslese.
- It's pretty annoying how thick everyone was in this chapter until the treasury. It was obvious to me that this Grancel was probably fake.

- That Salt Pale event is freaky as hell. People in the world seem very upbeat for normal people living in a world where a giant Apocalypse Object can just appear out of nowhere one day for no reason, kill half the population and lay half a small country to waste and no one has any idea why it happened and can't say that it won't happen again. And no "cable news hasn't been invented yet" isn't an excuse. Stories like that are the kind of thing that get spread around everywhere.

- Entered the Garden Terrace Joshua/Kloe Star door. I'm glad to see the Liberl News issue on the SC aftermath, as that was definitely something I was interested in reading. Still surprising that all that mass dropping into Valleria Lake including tons of water didn't cause more damage than just a 2 meter tsunami, regardless of how "deep" the lake is.
- Wow, I get to actually walk around and talk with people in a door? It's not just 15-40 minutes of pressing the "advance dialogue" button? I'm shocked!
- This party is a great scene, the kind of epilogue to SC which I missed for its absence.

- I'm just about to split for the Silver/Gold roads, but first I desperately need more Sepith to make quartz, because I don't have enough to fill two parties, so I guess I'll hunt down Aeries Pots and Slime Lumps while Josette offers support from the sidelines.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 7, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay finished up Chapter 3. That was short. The tip for the Skull Pendants helped. The Silver Door boss wasn't a huge problem with the suggested party. I mostly focused on taking out the healer boss for obvious reasons. He did NOT use Grail Sphere - at all. I think I might have focused him down to his second form too fast?

- Two sealing stones on two different paths made it pretty clear that it would be Olivier and Zin, as there aren't enough other pairs left.
- I liked that Ries got sick of Kevin's bullshit because obviously she knows him too well to be fooled.
- Man you really have to get up early in the morning to put one over Joshua. He's good at his stuff. I don't think anyone else knows Weissman is dead. I think that explains a lot why he seems more relaxed. He knows Weissman isn't out there somewhere lurking. And oh cool he's the second for this chapter. I won't say no to more Joshua.
- Kevin said that he didn't do anything to stop Estelle from getting kidnapped in SC Chapter 6, but honestly, everyone involved including Estelle should have been aware that Oroborus knew they were coming and they were expecting them. Whether Kurt escaped on his own or was set loose as bait, either way, they knew they would soon be coming. The base devoid of everyone except a few hypnotized bracers also were screaming "trap ahead". They knew what they were getting into.
- I think I'll use Zin and Olivier as my mains for the start of Chapter 4 and see how that goes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 8, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thinking about this trilogy, it seems to me that Kevin in Trails SC is handled in nearly the same way as Joshua was in Trails FC. Both of them were unknown quantities at the start, but gradually the layers were peeled away, revealing more of what was hidden within until at the end the mask falls away and it’s revealed what they really are.

SC was the real time for Joshua’s backstrory to come to light, and TC is the same for Kevin, although one big difference is that Joshua’s big breaking moment came at the end of FC, and TC looks to be building up to a moment of breaking Kevin. The scenes with the Lord of Phantasma at the end of Chapter 2 and Schwartzritter at the end of Chapter 3 defitely shook him. After that Ries actually implies that for the last five years (since Rufina’s death), Kevin has been trying to commit suicide-by-heretic. The “dirty jobs” he takes wouldn’t be all that dirty if he wasn’t facing those who were willing to fight to the death and had the power to back it up.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, it's also really great that right after Ries berates him for acting, he drops the act for Joshua and they have an actual conversation for the first time.

It's also the first real glimpse we have behind the curtain at who Kevin really is.

The impression I got was that at the same time, Kevin also does what he always does and tries to push Joshua away. Kevin tells Joshua that he did nothing to stop Estelle’s abduction, and he also tells him that him tagging along with the party was only to get close to Weissman, nothing more. He was trying to push Joshua away, but he wouldn’t go.

- Anyway, I've just finished Anelace's (first?) Star door. That's one powerful weapon. Thanks to this LP/thread for the tip that Anelace does poor damage without keeping spamming Petal Dance up at all times. That let me beat Richard, even though I was foolish enough to use Petal Dance at the start of my first turn, even though I suspected Richard would lead off with his S-Craft. I spent all my CP on Petal Dance and other crafts, and didn't bother trying to use Piercing Wave.
- Oh and also thanks to the LP for the tip to press the Balstar Channel levers in the wrong direction first. I would have missed that.
- Given the decaying St. Croix forest, I'm preparing for the boss to use Deathblow.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 10, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Schera moon door is pretty great. But I got tired after the sewers and had to take a break. Even though I did check all the dialogue in east block after leaving Edel's, I managed to completely miss all the Nial/Dorothy scenes. Oh well.
- Schera is even worse at customer relations than Estelle was, heh.
- It's a little tedious going through an entire dungeon with only two crafts and normal attacks available. That said, while this seemed like a boring tour guide at first, Schera certainly handled it acceptably well on her own to make it qualify as a good enough quest for promotion.
- It's kinda funny that the game made a big deal about a dangerous monster in the west block sewers that Schera made a big deal about wanting to take out, and then we don't fight it? We did like the entire sewers except for just a little part of the west block.
- ...And I think I better go back and finish getting to 200 CP. I didn't quite make it. EDIT: I'm level 13, which is the same level Schera is 5 levels later when she's a C-rank senior bracer in Rolent.
- In General Morgan's house, we see the parents of little Rianne. In FC and SC, they are absent, but Rianne is there alone, no mention of her parents. I wonder if some quiet tragedy happened unmentioned offscreen.
- I missed Dorothy in the West Block too? How did that happen? I went everywhere. Is that because I missed her earlier? I guess so. Sheesh. Well I'm not replaying this. It's a pain.
- That was a tough battle. In the preliminary, I missed twice with preemptive attacks, burning two precious turns, which meant I needed to spend my first turn in the final battle healing with a Tear Balm. That fight was still tough. I had to use my S-Break at less than 200 CP because I didn't have the time and health to heal both myself and Aina.
- I didn't leave the uncle awake.
- Honestly I think it is possible for people to be TOO kind, and Liberl has a serious case of forgiving people who haven't shown any cause to deserve it. I can see letting the Weissman-mind-controlled people and special forces off, but a lot of others get forgiven a little too easily.

- I have to wonder if Junior Bracers sometimes get their recommendations based less on the merits of their work and more after the other guild members wanting to pawn them off on the next branch. The implication is that Kurt knew enough of the real story the whole time, but I'm not sure, because if he did he sure put the lives of Aina and Schera at risk by letting them wander off on their own.

- Since this is also Aina's story, something I've wondered about guild receptionists is that most are so young. You would expect that they would mostly be older, retired bracers who are a little too old for field work, but still want to be a part of the guild. I guess maybe some are, but most seem to be young. Which seems a little odd, because I don't think that they were ever combat-trained bracers, but they're judging the potential dangers and final results of bracers missions. What kind of training do they get to be able to understand that if they've never done missions themselves?

- On the one hand, I think the New Grimsel Fortress is much more suitably complex for an advanced training course than the lame linear and boring version Estelle used.
- On the other hand, gently caress Grimsel Fortress. I got lost so much and had to backtrack so much through the light-bridge segment. And now I need to find night-vision goggles to continue, and I don't remember seeing any in chests or in a Monument-O-Vend.
- Oh, they were past the monster. I made it past, even though I have over 300 battles and no retreats.

- Goddamn it, Japan. I know that neither Agate nor Tita think of each other in that way, but please do not have your cast members shipping a 25-year old with a 13-YEAR-OLD. That's not cute, it's loving CREEPY. Normal brains shouldn't think that's okay. I am so NOT looking forward to Agate and Tita appearing in Cold Steel 3.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 10, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The Rais/Deen/Rocco dungeon was okay. Not spectacular, but okay. Their crafts all do no damage, which encourages you to use them to work as a team, buffing the next guy and healing the wounded guy. I completely forgot about the food and pretty much never used it. I found that the STR UP buff was okay, but only if you could use it on the person going next. The only KO the whole dungeon was the first battle where the blade fang attacked the same person twice in a row. I handled the Agate fight the same way, buffing people whose turn was next and healing weak guys while keeping the DEF down debuff on him. I was actually expecting there to be a trick at the end where the real test was to save a civilian or some other bracer-like challenge.

- There is no redeeming the Erika story. I get what they’re going for, they’re trying to exaggerate the “overprotective parent” story, then keep on exaggerating it, then do more exaggerating, and then EX-to-the-A-to the-GG-erating it. But they took it past the point where it would be funny to the point where you genuinely believe the woman should be locked up in a rubber room with a straightjacket. I think the worst part is that we already know that this flashback is a huge waste of time, because it is not going to change Erika in the slightest. We’ve already seen her later on in the cathedral, still on another psychotic rant. But I think I better stop here before this turns into a psychotic rant of my own.

Some Numbers posted:

You mean like Lugran?

I am aware of Lugran. I said that MOST seem to be young. I think 4/5 being young counts as "most".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 10, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Rabbi Raccon's little comment that the Agate boss battle in Chapter 4 "has the feel of an end-of-chapter battle" actually made me catch on that it wasn’t, and I remembered that that Chapter was called “The Dark Stigma”, and there hadn’t been any reference to that nor any resolution to the Ries-Kevin fight.

- I had Zane and his A-DEF down as my support. The Chapter 4 boss hurt a bunch and I had no Grail Sphere or Lietkreis to sandbag, so it was tough (I did have Schera and La Tearal on her and Kevin, though). I took out the first set of vanish-causing adds using Agate and Joshua’s S-Crafts (I had to use Agate, he was at low health. But the boss spawned in another one which vanished Agate before I unleashed a 200 CP + Critical Turn Spear of Roa on the boss. Like 20k damage, but I think that’s because it hit the boss’s big Time weakness. Agate seemed to get full XP from the battle and he wasn’t behind in levels anyway so that was fine.

- Kevin told Loewe in SC that Rufina died “in an accident”. …I think that the accident was Kevin’s “Spear of Loa” manifesting and catching her (okay in fairness, the fact that the LP showed an animated .GIF of what was a brief flash showing her with what looks like spears in her back makes this easier to guess at this point than it would be normally). The church was thrilled and saw his power worthy of instant promotion, but Kevin just felt overwhelming guilt. So, unable or unwilling to break his oath to the church, and with Selnate unwilling to kill him, he decided to find a loophole – he would try to commit sucide-by-Heretic.

- Oh. How nasty. The Fifth plane has stopped playing around. So far I've met at least three different enemies who can each use a different crippling status effect. I guess I'll need to change my equipment before each fight. Maybe bringing only beatsticks Agate and Tita with Estelle and Ries as the only "casters" is a poor idea.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, my party is now 16 strong, including Kevin who is out cold. …I’m just guessing here, but I suspect at some point, I’ll need to make FOUR parties, lead by Kevin, Reis, Estelle, and Joshua. I’d better go harvest a bunch more Sepith, because Tier 3 Quartz have started to appear in monuments, and my Sepith counts are all sub 3000. FEDIT: Man even having a good Shining Pom location, and using Josette as support, getting 300 sepith each time, shining poms appear so rarely that it'll be a huge pain. I'll put this off until before the 6th plane boss.

I think I’ll give up on the idea of farming powerful weapons from Grimoires, the drop rate seems to be too low even with Estelle wearing the Fortune Quartz.

I beat Halle my first time, although THREE TIMES during the hand I hit on a 12 and busted (once she also busted). I won the last two hands to come from behind. I beat Jack my second time, although that is underselling it since it took about 30 hands to win. It was back and forth. Several times I was down to my last star, a couple times I was up to 5 stars, once I was up to 6 stars, but I eventually nailed it with a full house and a doubled-down bet.

Okay, Chapter 5 finished. I didn’t have much trouble with the boss. I didn’t bother preparing to nullify debuffs on half my party because I had no idea what to expect anyway. I did have Estelle and Reis wearing mirage rings just because of the poltergeists, and they were the only ones who got hit with petrify except for Richard, but I cured that immediately.

I also did Star Door 8 before the boss. I Heart Divine Gem. It does the jobs of so many other gems. I put it in Estelle’s center slot (and then into Kevin's second). Zigma’s nastiest move in my opinion is the health-sucking one, because it eats a lot of health. I ended up spamming Dark Matter because it was a lot stronger than even La Forte physicals. I finished Zigma off with a 200 CP S-Craft from Richard.

I think I'll start out exploring Plane 6 with Team Mandatory Character (Kevin, Reis, Estelle, Joshua).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've blazed through most of Chapter 6 and have officially caught up to the LP!

- I didn't realize that the discussions for who to take were both for the monochrome schoolhouse, so I took Agate and Estelle for both parts as well.
- Estelle is definitely seeming pretty weak by now, as enemy stats increase so much that small differences in STR make a big difference. But I have discovered that with the Super Gladiator Belt, she can recover 20 CP if she hits 3 enemies with an attack so I can spam crafts as long as the enemies group up enough.
- Without the 40k provided by the Monochrome Schoolhouse chests, I wouldn't have been able to afford the star door without a lot of grinding for sepith to sell. I only had 57k before I opened it.
- I didn't really care much for the Maybelle has a Comic Misunderstanding skit.
- I wasn't much a fan of the orphan door either, at least at first, because I was expecting some sappy "the real stone of happiness is inside you the whole time" aesop. It is still unclear what really happened, since according to Mary's perspective, she's lost overnight, but when she wakes up, it seems like she was only missing a short while, definitely not lost overnight. But the dragon mentions the Aureole and Gorgon which she hasn't heard of.
- I made good use of the Happiness Stone on Anelace with 8-Leaf Blitz to get my Wind Sepith up, which was very low after buying a couple high-level wind quartz and unlocking slots.
- The Gorgon Laser CAN still Petrify in the Renne door fight. I died to it.
- I didn't take Tita with me to Renne's door, but since the only change is that she says "Umm..." it doesn't seem to matter.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It was of course entirely predictable that Kurt would be the third opponent, taking the place of Anelace who is in the party. I knew that he had a nasty knockback move, so on my first turn I had Anelace use Sylpharion to boost everyone’s move by 2.

I did check the searchlight guessing it was where more sepith was hidden, but it only is interactable from one spot, and I missed it.

Luckily the team I picked out for the guardian was heavy on physical damage, so the Bleublanc star door was pretty easy.

So Mystery Person X was the real Bleublanc. At first I wondered why the news called them X, Y and Z, but then I realized it was probably to prevent a potential libel suit. Still though, since Roman numerals or the equivilant of them is a thing, the news should have guessed that Bleublanc confirmed that X was the right answer even if they didn’t understand the meaning of “his number”.

As for party... let's go with Team Hasn't Been Used In A While (Not You Josette): Olivier, Joshua, and Reis.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Except it's a lovely little piece of misdirection. WE know the Enforcers use roman numerals, but I doubt that's common knowledge.

It must be knowledge to many people because they introduce themselves with roman numerals and no one in the group goes "Huh, what do you mean you're Number Vee Eye Eye Eye?". Not even Estelle.

quote:

Of course, even among those who would know that the "X" is the number in question, what would they do with the info? As a master of disguise, I doubt that even his Bleublanc "look" is his original appearance. You've got a bit of trivia to build a profile on someone who's nuts in the first place.

I think the chronicle has specific people in mind when they say X, Y, Z. Stuff like:

quote:

Immediately after leaving his client behind, Y received a terrible piece of news:
His lover, the daughter of a respected family, had been killed in a traffic accident.

is way too specific to just be a "could describe anyone".

EDIT: You're right in that he might be hard to find even knowing his previous identity, but a master strategist like Cassius could probably figure some way to use that.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 13, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

All of this fighting through the various layers has me wondering - why? Are we burning the self-styled "Lord of Phantasma" a way out? Or are they just constantly trying to kill us as hard as they can, limited by force projection?

He's already been out, though. He was on the airship in the prologue, before the cube even appeared. That also seems to nix certain theories about who or what the Lord is.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Really Pants posted:

I also just unlocked the next level of Sun Door 3's arena. so I need somebody to pick a party.

Okay... I think you're going to want some people who are really fast, can take a bit of punishment, and equip any physical attacker with anti-blind and any casters with anti-sleep protection. I hate to think what the Nightmare arena will be like.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It was also predictable that it would be Kilika for the final opponent. The nice touch is that it was just as predictable for the other characters. This fight wasn't too bad. After I took down the minotaurs, I had to move my troops together to use Sylpharion Wing, so I could keep up with her movement. I eventually cornered her and whittled her down.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

To this day, through five playthroughs of Sky games, I don't think I've EVER cast this spell.

+2 MOV to everyone in a small radius. It's USUALLY one of the most useless things you can cast. I almost never use it myself. But for certain bosses who move out of range of your melee attackers a lot, or knock you a huge distance back, such as with Kurt and his clones, it has a niche use.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 16, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I got the Steam achievement for reading all the books before those "tough-looking" ones showed up on the library. By the way there's an achievement for reading Gilbert's book.

I took Agate and Tita to the first, and got no special dialogue. Not sure the first one has any. Any to the first
Renne and Julia to the second.
No opinion on the third.
Estelle and Joshua to the fourth. Because thematically it's the best fit, regardless of the unique dialogue.

Even before I beat the second monument, the pattern was clear. It's pretty obvious who we'll face in the third monument, where the third monument is, and who the guardian is.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I would have put Yin-Yang on Mueller. The physical attackers are the best place for utility quartz like that. If I need space I skip out on Art Defense on the tankier characters.
- Why slot Detection at all? I only ever pop that one in when I want to check the map, I'd never wear it all the time this late in the game.
- Beard the Lion In His Den is fantastic music.
- The chest-checking achievement is so generous with its definition of "most" chests that the one just south of the entrance to Leiston gave it to me. ... which you missed, apparently.
- Tita's smoke cannon can practically neutralize all the soldiers. You will definitely want your physical people warded vs. Blind.
- I could have sworn that Gensic barrier does not neutralize friendly arts. I will re-check. Gensic barrier also doesn't just block one hit like the other guards, it is a buff and there's nothing to do but wait for the timer to run out. This was a big pain versus Weissman in SC, because it completely neutralizes your casters.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 19, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Finished this game yesterday. But before I start Cold Steel, I went back and re-watched Star Door 8. I have some thoughts on that:

Star Door 8 was great. Osborne showing up in Liberl once word got to him of Olivert’s plans to fly back in spectacular fashion, was great. Little escapes Osborne’s planning, and he wanted to demonstrate to Olivert that he knew exactly what he was trying to do.

Olivert’s description of what happened to other states which got annexed by Erebonia:
“It starts with a small nation or independent state with an array of problems beyond repair. Those problems start to worsen, after which jaegers and other dangerous elements enter, plunging public order to an all-time low...”

That sounds an AWFUL lot like what happened to Liberl. It makes you wonder if Orobous had a hand in those problems as well. It probably makes sense… I can easily see Osborne making a deal with Oroborous for aid in destabilizing several countries, making them ripe for annexation, in exchange for the resources and support necessary to do things like construct the Glorious (although I’m not sure if they told him exactly what they were building. I don’t quite see Osborne trusting them enough to let them build a flying battleship.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

It still can't beat the Sky First Chapter cliffhanger.

As for chancellor von Evil vis a vis the tragedy of Hamel, Weissmann only claimed responsibility for the original idea, not for the actual execution of the plan.
Whether Osbourne was actually complicit or not is frankly immaterial, because he saw that poo poo and said to himself, I can do so much better.
Especially after he tried again 8 years later. There was that funny business with the steam tanks after all.

Hell, do we know why he was appointed chancellor? Because I just thought he might have been the one to expose the false flag plot in the first place.

I was thinking more about the events of FC/SC than the ones leading up the the Hundred Days war.

"a small nation or independent state with an array of problems beyond repair"
- The army's officer corps is deeply corrupted, making them vulnerable to pressure from the Intelligence Division
- ...which leads to a nearly successful coup d'etat
- Ghost sightings almost lead to civil unrest in one city
- Earthquakes cause chaos in another
- The peace process is put in jeopardy and there's nearly a second attempted coup
- A town is shut down by fog
- Another town's economic centers are attacked and severely damaged

The military was not great at dealing with most of those events. If it wasn't for the Bracers, many of those situations could have gone on longer and overlapped each other, further stressing the ability to deal with them.

"Those problems start to worsen, after which jaegers and other dangerous elements enter, plunging public order to an all-time low..."
- Chapters 7 and 8 had Jagers openly engaging the literal armed force all over the country, and very nearly conquering the capital.
- The loss of orbal power made the problems worsen and plunged public order to a low level. It was resolved before collapse happened, but the situation could have gotten bad if it had lasted longer.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 22, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It was pretty obvious who the final boss of this section would be when you stepped in. It's so obvious that even the characters in-game know who is next.

Super Jay Mann posted:

He'll probably detour to the Star Door first, but after that THEN it is time. :allears:

After that he'll also have to detour to get that chest he missed on the road south of Leiston.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

Unlike Phillip and Kilika in the last sections, everybody already knew who'd be at the end of this one, but just for good measure Morgan confirms it here and lets you stew in it for one more floor.

Also, Morgan's slow, but his attacks really hurt and Beast Dance is essentially an S-craft without the cut-in. He once fainted my entire team with it during one unlucky run and came dangerously close to wiping me out before it wore off.

- Actually, given the pattern in Anelace's chapter, Kilika was a good guess. Or maybe it's just people suggested I take Zin and Agate to the last fight.
- Morgan is vulnerable to Clock Down, and with his already low speed, that really helped in this fight.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I took Kloe and Julia to fight General Morgan, but since afterwards dialogue made it clear that everyone knew Cassius would be next, I went back and re-foght Morgan with Estelle and Joshua. Morgan has unique dialogue as well. I think he actually has a line acknowledging if you have both Estelle and Joshua there - not just one line for each of them, there's also one line if you have both.
- The "my cousin in Erebonia doesn't talk much" chest gag was great, because chests in Cold Steel are just chests, they can't be interacted with after opening, and such have no phrases. We'll have to see if the chest phrases made exclusively for the western localization are popular enough for chest phrases to return in the Calvard arc.
- Cassius was an amazing boss. Such simplicity. Such elegance. Such power. Don’t bother trying to land any status effects, but also don’t worry about any status effects landing on you. Cassius is beyond the need to weaken you with tricks. He has sheer overwhelming power.
- I didn't bother with Earth Wall. I spent a Zeram Capsule because Richard died with 200 CP and later another Celestial Balm on Richard, but otherwise I was able to hold my ground. Although the fact that he got a hell of a lot faster towards the end was a nasty surprise. I used all my S-Crafts, and a couple extra to push me over the top. The rewards of Emblem, and Super Gladiator Belt and Headband were fantastic too.

NotASmartMan posted:

Think (Cold Steel) Principal Vandyck also uses it, so maybe it's an Eight Leaves move or a useful move from elsewhere Master Kafai nicked.

Can you and Erpy (and everybody else) please not post untagged spoilers for Trails of Cold Steel in the Trails in the Sky LP?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 24, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
1) Josette and Schera because :shrug:
2) Renne and Estelle because there isn't enough room to take three people with two mandatories in place.
3) Reis and Agate because Reis's sister fought Loewe and Agate has a score to settle with him as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I guessed that the Glorious would be a monument dungeon, but I had thought Renne would have been the mandatory character, not Joshua.
- I had a LOT more than 400 wins by this fight (0 retreats too). I'm not sure why, I don't think I spent that much time getting sepith from those special rare enemies.
- I never used the Jagd armor.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I took Renne and Estelle as my other party members. They had fairly substantial unique dialogue, and judging by the little there was for Schera and Zin, I think I made the right call.
- Three Enforcers at once was nasty. That's too many status effects to handle, and BleuBlanc's can't be resisted at all. So I just didn't bother and focused on stat buffs instead.
- The start of the fight was nasty as hell, it took a while to stabilize and get my buffs up. Bleublanc mostly cast Fat or Tiny. I focused on Walter because he was easy to reach while Fat. Then I took down Lucy and then Bleublanc.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I finished the first two levels of the quiz and gave up after a couple attempts at the third. I'll probably try again later.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As expected Loewe was the boss. I swapped Estelle out for Agate. I did NOT prepare for status effects, and I got caught flat-footed by Sword of Abbadon. The party wipe was fast.

I tried again this time, this time blocking confuse and faint on Joshua and Agate, (and Confuse and Mute on Renne and Kevin). Loewe went first and cast Abbadon before I could cast Grail Sphere, so I had to eat that, but the immediate Grail Sphere gave me some breathing room to get up. I focused on the robot because AA canceller neutralized half the party. It was a tough fight, but once the robot was down it was much easier. Still required a lot of careful planning and a lot of low-health “use it or lose it” S-Crafts.

If Loewe was Schwartzritter, who we saw at Grancel Port, then that re-opens the possibilities for who Phantasma could be. I can think of three possibilities.

I had no good ideas for who to take, so I defaulted to Joshua and Estelle. But I already saw that part so pick whoever.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Really Pants posted:

just out of curiosity: Who did you all first guess as the Lord of Phantasma? I figured it was an Anguis we'd never seen before now.

My main guesses for who I would see under the mask were Phantasma-created copies of one of: Weissman's (because this place seems Aureole-related and it was with him last), Rufina Argent (because she seemed to be a major source of pain for Kevin), and Kevin Graham himself (an aspect who wanted to punish him). Of those, if I had to choose, my money would have gone onto Kevin.

I took Reis with me the first time and had her outfitted with pretty top-notch stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I went in and out of Aster House several times, leaving through the wrong door each time and not understanding what I needed to do to advance the story.
- This whole chapter is fantastic. Great scenes throughout the entire thing.
- I can't even remotely consider the death of Kevin's mother as his fault. But I guess Kevin can't stop blaming himself. Contrast that to Estelle and her mother. During the siege of Rolent, six-year-old Estelle wandered onto the Clock Tower to get a look at the Imperial Army. The tower got shelled, and Lena died protecting Estelle from being crushed by rubble. There's a dumb, but definite connection between Estelle's actions and her mother's death. It wasn't her fault, she was six, but it is something that she could have reasonably blamed herself for. But she never does. What happened to Kevin's mother was even less possibly Kevin's fault, but he still blames himself THAT MUCH.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

There's still the question of where this all came from. The Aureole happened to grab onto some of Kevin's resentment while he was in there and it's not like he noticed the amount it took?

Maybe it did Ctrl + C instead of Ctrl + X?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I didn't unequip the other characters I brought with me either, but I'd already given them both lots of good stuff, anticipating a boss, so I didn't feel the need to go back and unequip everyone.
- Zodiac is kinda overkill when there are only 2 party members. Saint, the single-target version, is cheaper and faster to cast.
- Luckily this section is pretty easy. The music for battles (Masquerade of Lies) is awesome, but you'll never hear very much of it here, battles end too fast.
- The chest messages in this section are a brilliant touch.
- The changes to Kevin's victory pose and line are another good touch. The mask has faded. No pretending anymore.
- The exploding pricks sometimes necessitate that you use the Move command to get some distance.
- After the battle with the second victim, Kevin's sprite gives a little shudder in the cutscene.
- I was expecting an appearance from that person at some point, yep. :munch:

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 4, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

The headflick animation once they hit the ground is kind of adorable. I love all the little animations in these games. :allears:

As soon as I had the first heretic fight, I knew they were going to show up.

... why are we dancing around this? It's not like we don't know who it is. :v:

Because they're in the off-site test poster, there's not much space between the update and the posts, so it's easier to get accidentally spoiled if you scroll too far. So being vague is just trying to be a little polite.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The first two screenshots of Kevin's "transforming" sequence are reversed. Oh, I apparently forgot that little detail.

I have to say it's really an awesome fight. Taking on two of the Chapter bosses plus the final boss from the previous game at the same time with only two people, and kicking their butt to fantastic, uplifting music. Excellent.

Erpy posted:

Apparantly the Septian Scriptures have been very, very detailed about what Gehenna and some of its inhabitants look like. That's why Kevin and Ries were able to instantly recognize the various devils they fought at the end of the tiers. Of course, one wouldn't have a bratty 12-year old pegged for knowing Scripture by heart, but at the same time, the average 12-year old also doesn't have 3 doctorates. It's perfectly in-character for Renne to have the Church's scripture memorized just in case she ever runs into a scripture-quoting nun who's in desperate need of a good trolling.

Not only do the scriptures list at least 77 named devils, they also describe them in enough detail that each and every one of them can be uniquely identified at a quick glance by a priest. That's a highly suspicious amount of work put into it... it makes the implications rather unsettling.

quote:

note to future generations: please calibrate your marvelous wish-granting engines to NOT prioritize the most hosed up wishes from the most hosed up people within range

It kinda makes sense. "Who is hurting the most, and is therefore the most in need of being granted their desire?" Like the Aureole, it doesn't give any thought into whether granting the wish would be harmful or not.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 5, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
1) Your four lowest-ranking people, so... Josette, Olivert, Agate, and Anelace. I actually ran the Abyss like four times partway, only until everyone in my party was up to level 135. Once they were all that high, I switched them out. (I was guessing that with 16 people, it was unlikely that I'd only have to use a single party of 4.)

2) I'd tend to go with the best in specific fields. So... Caster - Renne, Physical Damage - Agate, and Healer - Kevin.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh, speaking of the Divine Blade, I just thought of something neat. Before the fight with Cassius, if Renne is in the party, she comments that she cannot get a read on Cassius's actual strength. Now remember that at the end of the fight, how the party is on their knees, but Cassius is still standing, looking like he can still go strong? That doesn't necessarily MEAN that he can actually go another round. These copies are completely unable to hold back. Cassius still standing demonstrates his ability to hide his strength.

Estelle can kinda do that too, sort-of, albeit nowhere nearly as good as her father. At the end of Chapter 2 of SC, after Walter flattens the party, she gets back up, as if she's still capable of fighting, even though she isn't (and Walter can tell).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Billzasilver, there's probably nothing stopping Pants from getting them up to level 135 or so off-screen, but there's no reason to show more than one run.

Some Numbers posted:

Abyss: Agate, Josette, Olivier and Anelace
Thing: Anelace, Richard, Renne, Joshua

Um, best physical is Richard and best healer is Renne. :confused:

I was going by raw STR, and Agate comes out on top. Richard has the fastest crafts, but no way to recover his CP. I think I have a fair argument here.

:confused: Renne has Grail Sphere and Sacred Breath now?

Also when is the next video coming?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 7, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Actually I still find Zigma spiders in the Abyss scary. Their absorb health move is so powerful that it can practically one-shot weaker members of the party while healing the spider for 10k+, so I had to be careful when engaging them. You can use Josette or Schera to steal Gold Gems off of them, though, and they also drop other good gems. In theory. The drop rate for items in this game SUCKS. The game didn't seem to take into account that each enemy can now drop up to 8 types of items, not just two.
- The armor guys from the second Abyss boss can inflict deathblow from their regular attacks, which seems to bypass resistance to deathblow. So my strategy for that fight is to immediately burn ALL my S-Crafts. If I can't keep my CP, I might as well use it.
- The third Abyss fiend was much easier than the second one. You can even impede and AT Delay him, which seems backwards for what is supposed to be a series of progressively tougher bosses.
- The weapons I made were Photon Sword (Reis), Sphere Soleil (Estelle), Dino Fossil (Agate), and Houkiboshi (Richard). I don't have much opinion on who the LP should give them to though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cryohazard posted:

To add to that, I'm pretty sure nobody who knows that update is actually reading it. It's very well written but I'm damned if I'm reading it again.

Yeah. I might read the LP update, but I'd have to work up the courage to do it.

Erpy posted:

Anyway, this door's probably the reason the :stare: , :stonk: and :stonklol: emoticons were invented. No other reactions do it justice. This is one part that was really, really easy to mess up and devolve into mindless shock value. Instead, the fact that it's so chilling is because it's just subtle enough to make a lot of allusions without immediately showing.

Yep. Sky SC alluded to this pretty strongly in Renne's scene in Chapter 7, and this game doesn't go into any specifics, thankfully, but it's still horrifying. It's very well written.

quote:

Since Renne mentioned in SC that there were other children, it actually took me a while to grasp that Cross and the other three weren't real children, but alternate personalities that Renne used as coping mechanisms to avoid going insane, before her self-made barriers eventually crumbled. (as such I initially missed the connection between "Cross" and the shape of those cuts in the closeup)

I got a little sense of it when Cross said that there never were any others, but I didn't come to the full realization until a bit farther.

quote:

It also confirms that, yes, there are worse assholes than Ouroboros in Zemuria and after Weissmann, that bar was pretty frigging high already.

Joshua has mentioned doing some terrible things in his capacity working for Ouroboros that he wants to atone for. This is probably not one of them.

• Locked thread