Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So did they shut down TSW to make what looks like an inferior/less-finished copy? Or is original-recipe still available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The shittier original version remains available and will continue to be available without anymore updates.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The Lone Badger posted:

So did they shut down TSW to make what looks like an inferior/less-finished copy? Or is original-recipe still available?

Eh, over the course of the beta it has gotten much better. I'd say SWL is easier to get into and new players probably will enjoy it much more than TSW. It's still half-baked as far as a full overhaul goes though.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 11, 2017

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Here's the question I have: As someone who played TSW just for the story, lore, etc. and never really gave a poo poo about the gameplay and combat mechanics how hard is it going to be for me to get back through it all and in position for the mythical season 2?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Classes :eyepop:

RIP old TSW (even though it's still around). This should be way easier to introduce friends to, sounds like

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Classes :eyepop:

RIP old TSW (even though it's still around). This should be way easier to introduce friends to, sounds like

For all the good things about old TSW we must all agree it had the accessibility of a greased cliff to the casual newcomer.

I see these changes as a Good Thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
:toot: I made it into the beta! :woop:

Here's hoping it doesn't actually take three hours for all this stuff to download.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

prefect posted:

:toot: I made it into the beta! :woop:

Here's hoping it doesn't actually take three hours for all this stuff to download.

The minimal download is pretty quick.

macnbc posted:

Here's the question I have: As someone who played TSW just for the story, lore, etc. and never really gave a poo poo about the gameplay and combat mechanics how hard is it going to be for me to get back through it all and in position for the mythical season 2?

Probably won't be too bad. Leveling is quick and you can get good gear completely through solo play. I'm skeptical we'll see a season 2 this year.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lawlicaust posted:

The minimal download is pretty quick.

I have to go out and run errands in a little bit, so keeping myself from playing right away is a plus. :)

Also, now I get to spend some quality time freaking out over which weapons I'm going to use. I was mostly AR/Elemental before, but I'm wondering about other ideas I had, like "could I go Elemental/Blood and just be a magician?" (Yes, I know you can technically use any two weapons, but some of them just don't work well for how you might be playing, et cetera, et cetera.)

Is there an equivalent of the "decks" they used to have, where you had some examples of what to do (and also I think you got an outfit for getting all the appropriate skills)?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

prefect posted:

I have to go out and run errands in a little bit, so keeping myself from playing right away is a plus. :)

Also, now I get to spend some quality time freaking out over which weapons I'm going to use. I was mostly AR/Elemental before, but I'm wondering about other ideas I had, like "could I go Elemental/Blood and just be a magician?" (Yes, I know you can technically use any two weapons, but some of them just don't work well for how you might be playing, et cetera, et cetera.)

Is there an equivalent of the "decks" they used to have, where you had some examples of what to do (and also I think you got an outfit for getting all the appropriate skills)?

That's basically classes now. I haven't played much of the casters so I can't give any recommendations there but I can give some Blade or Shotgun/Hammer ones.

Spirit Blade build

This is a 1 weapon build that focuses on Spirit Blade. You only use the second weapon for an AoE power ability. The idea is to maximize Spirit Blade damage and uptime. Rotate using Swallow Cut and Flowing Strike and using other cooldowns when relevant. When out of energy, spam Flowing Strike while you regen to build chi. While Spirit Blade is active, Flowing Strike does more damage than any secondary weapon ability would so there's no point in using a second weapon for single target.

Active:
Flowing Strike (Can swap with Crescent Fang)
Swallow Cut
Spirit Blade
Soothing Spirit
Supreme Harmony (Can swap for Hurricane or Tempest)
(Something from another weapon for AoE damage)

Passive:
Masterpiece
Hardened Blade
Draw Sword, Draw Blood
Pick Two from the following: (Focused Breathing, Measure Twice, Cut Once, Warrior's Spirit, Resonance, Meditate, Master's Focus)

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Pretty much all combos will be at least somewhat viable. There will always be minmaxing and best builds, but with a lower reliance on combos and tweaked and pruned skills, you should be free to go hog wild.

I was away all weekend and I guess it was more than 30 days since I logged in on my main account so I didn't get an invite. Mega bummer. I hope they do another wave.

I'd really like to hear more clarification on how transfers will work. I have a few unique items across multiple dudes and I would like to have them all available on a single dude in the legends.

I was reading on reddit that some people were trying to give away cosmetics for 1 pax on the ah but when I logged on last night there were only maybe 20 items for sale at 1m of more pax. Rip.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Patch notes for 6/10:

pre:
The Teleport Window will now properly charge the displayed amounts of Anima Shards.
It is now possible to purchase pets that cost Aurum.
Fixed an issue where the following missions could not be obtained despite meeting their requirements:
  Mean Streets
  Digging Deeper
  Strangers from a Strange Land
  Obstructive Persons
  Death and Axes
  Singing Stones
  All Roads Lead to Rome
  The Red Thread

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Man though, I really am going to miss picking up loot from random open world kills.

It could actually be a reasonable source of pax if you sold all the QL10 weapons.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

I want to play before the summer OT at work starts to hit hard, but it's not out till the end of the month. Stupid beta!

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Does the new TSW support controllers? I just tried a controller in ESO and it's pretty great.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I hit 50 this phase about 5 quests into Transylvania and looked forward to testing some of the endgame they surely added since phase 3.

Nope. Elites still aren't available and it's 11 days until launch. Considering lairs require very high purple there's even less content avail than at TSW's original launch.

Also, I played the market pretty heavily this phase and managed to make about 30-40k cash shop currency which I spent openijg 100+ loot bags and buying AP/SP. Despite all that, I only have 4 weapons unlocked, 3 purples and 1 yellow, and only the skills and passives for the dps spec of 2 weapons. It's a super mega grind now.

This is going to go well.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 12, 2017

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'm so excited for this game to disappoint me all over again

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aye Doc posted:

In new and exciting ways!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lawlicaust posted:

I hit 50 this phase about 5 quests into Transylvania and looked forward to testing some of the endgame they surely added since phase 3.

Nope. Elites still aren't available and it's 11 days until launch. Considering lairs require very high purple there's even less content avail than at TSW's original launch.

Also, I played the market pretty heavily this phase and managed to make about 30-40k cash shop currency which I spent openijg 100+ loot bags and buying AP/SP. Despite all that, I only have 4 weapons unlocked, 3 purples and 1 yellow, and only the skills and passives for the dps spec of 2 weapons. It's a super mega grind now.

This is going to go well.

My hope died with phase 2. Just enjoy the trainwreck.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

Same. That'd make a good thread title btw

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

A. Beaverhausen posted:

My hope died with phase 2. Just enjoy the trainwreck.

Yeah, it really has surpassed my wildest dreams of just how terrible it is. Here's the awful poo poo from the latest phase:
  • Inventory and bank slots cost marks of fate or aurum. 7500 MoF for 5 slots, 15000 for the next 5, and the 360 aurum for 5. Only goes up from there.
  • Trading and using the cabal bank now requires Patron. Patrons can only trade with other patrons.
  • Scenarios are just as janky garbage as they were before and the rewards aren't really better than dungeons. Also time-limited by the scenario keys just like dungeons. I've done quite a few scenarios and dungeons and have yet to see anything except lovely upgrade materials drop.
  • Speaking of upgrading, once you get items to epic you aren't really going to be upgrading without the cash shop distillates from the lootbags. It costs so many anima shards for a single item (600) and gives you like 2% of a bar. Feeding blue or epic gear barely gives much more exp (4% or 6%).
  • Lair mobs have 250k hp and deal 7k+ damage with every attack. A tank in mostly epics would barely have enough hp to survive a single hit. It's going to take weeks or months of upgrading purples to even begin to do lairs.
  • Elites aren't in yet so who the gently caress knows if they make any of this better. Probably not. They will just have Distillates that give more but still poo poo xp. Here, have 1K xp out of 50k needed to upgrade an item 1 level.
  • No Nightmares or Tokyo until after launch. So people are going to run out of things to do except grind the gently caress out of what little content there is for maybe a few weapon levels.
  • Weapon swaps aren't going to happen. The amount of AP/SP you need to be viable is huge. And then you are so far behind on weapon expertise and on leveling up weapons that it's just not possible. If you want something other than the starting combos, spend your first 5 days of MoFs on it and swap immediately without leveling the weapons or investing at all.
  • Carpathian Fangs is painfully slow even in my stupidly OP gear. People will probably quit here if they haven't already.
Barring some unlikely changes in the next week, I may actually save myself the pain and not play it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...what.

No, there must be a mistake. There is no way they could possibly be stupid enough to limit the economy to Patrons.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tallgeese posted:

...what.

No, there must be a mistake. There is no way they could possibly be stupid enough to limit the economy to Patrons.

That's a pretty common thing in F2P MMOs.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

It'll probably go away after purchasing something small from the item store. They're still fidgeting with the monetization aspect. Remember how much SWTOR had to sort its poo poo out and it took a good while before they realized that some restrictions are a bad thing and need to be removed.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

SWTOR, the model all MMOs should base themselves on

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Tallgeese posted:

...what.

You can still use the exchange and AH but no cabal bank or direct trading. You have to go to Agartha to use the AH as a free player though.

Also, mail is gone outside of the receiving auction monies so no mailing anything to alts.

And no more global chat. No idea how people are going to find other players for groups with no global and 10 player zone limits. The awful social interface I guess?

Shambala is supposedly good but the queue has been broken for every day except the first day.

I really don't see who they are going to appeal to with the relaunch. Old players will hate the changes and lack of new content. New players will hit the grind wall in Trans (if they make it that far) and the f2p systems that wouldn't be out of place in a gpotato game. The good combat/ui/story changes are offset by literally every other change being absolute poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Christ most f2p games at least have an account wide bank so you can shift things to alts. I think I might nope out and not even bother. I got my GM fun out of the game in the past

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
You would think Funcom would've figured this whole free2play thing out already given that they were one of the first studios to transition over from a subscription model.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Christ most f2p games at least have an account wide bank so you can shift things to alts. I think I might nope out and not even bother. I got my GM fun out of the game in the past

They got around this problem by only giving you one character slot.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
So I thought 50 seemed really grindy and that it was taking me forever to gain AP/SP. Like a mission wouldn't even reward one AP. I thought that maybe it was just the lack of a xp bar that was throwing me off.

Nope, after some testing I confirmed that was the case. XP needed to gain AP/SP scaled per level. At 50, it takes around 30k xp for each point of AP/SP. Quests give about 10k. So that's 3 quests a point. For reference, it's around 2.5K per AP/SP at level 1. According to the forums, it scales up to 12k per point by 49 and then jumps to 30k at 50.

So yeah, good luck leveling more than 1 weapon. gently caress the grind I'm out of this poo poo.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

They think doubling down on the skinner box will save the game; it will not.

All that work to ultimately maintain the same small group of no-lifers that already played it before, and would in any form. Sad.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely sounds like the relaunch is happening too soon. Even if things work on a technical level you can't have a good game without tuning the game play & progression.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Yeah, there has been little to no real testing of progression or game play outside of does it work on a technical level. User experience has not been adequately tested because this is the first phase with a semblance of a full game. Even the it's not feature complete because Elites arent in and PvP queues haven't worked enough for any feedback to be given.

It's a dumpster fire. It looks fine for the first 30 levels but falls apart so fast after that.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

As long as the core story is there, I'm hopeful that new players will hang out enough to give funcom time to tune the end game. Tsw isn't really known for its compelling raids and hard core pve, so if they advertise it as story driven and single player or small group, hopefully the blowback is minimal. If people sign up looking for endgame content, there's going to be disappointment no matter what.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I know it was previously an MMO so it shouldn't be an issue but like... a stress test? Might be a good idea?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

That's what the initial launch is a month before it comes out on Steam :q:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

angerbeet posted:

I know it was previously an MMO so it shouldn't be an issue but like... a stress test? Might be a good idea?

You only need a stress test if you expect a significant playerbase. They clearly don't.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

novaSphere posted:

That's what the initial launch is a month before it comes out on Steam :q:

That makes a lot of sense now.

I just wish they would call launch what it is - open beta with no wipes.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Some people on the beta forums did the math for time required to max weapons in SWL. 160 AP per weapon not counting capstones. 30k Xp per 1 AP. At a rate of 8 Carpathian Fangs missions that reward around 8k each, it will take 7 months to complete a single each weapon's actives. Passives take a little longer (a few months). So around 3-4 years for all weapons.

Buying that 160 AP from the cash shop would be around 5500 Aurum which would cost 300 MoF each at the maximum exchange rate. So about 1.5m marks. Which is roughly 100 days. So it currency takes less time to grind out cash shop currently to buy AP than to get it from quests.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lawlicaust posted:

Some people on the beta forums did the math for time required to max weapons in SWL. 160 AP not counting capstones. 30k per AP. At a rate of 8 Carpathian Fangs missions that reward around 8k each, it will take 7 months per weapon to max each new weapons actives. Passives take a little longer.

Buying that 160 AP from the cash shop would be around 5500 Aurum which would cost 300 MoF each at the maximum exchange rate. So about 1.5m marks. Which is roughly 100 days. So it currency takes less time to grind out cash shop currently to buy AP than to get it from quests.

I'm hoping they realize this and just change a few numbers that make everything less miserable. :pray: