Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Link's Awakening had that as well with the pause-map glitch. You get the messed up sprites because there wasn't space on the cartridge to code in any error checking, so it's just frantically trying to make sense of reading the wrong things as data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

As for Pokemon, I do think it's important to note that the original games took up literally all the available space on the cartridge, that's why it lacked even the most basic sanity checks against things like arbitrary code execution. It's not that Game Freak didn't know about those hazards (most of them would have been glaringly obvious from a coding standpoint, since the vast majority of Gen I's bugs are pointer errors reading random chunks of memory, or in the case of the ACE bug, writing random chunks of memory), they just plain didn't have room to fit safeguards.

On the whole, it's something that's easy to forget. I get all :corsair: about having spare 4GB SD cards lying around; memory optimization is still a thing but there's a lot more room for bloat these days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bydoless posted:

EDIT: Anyway I'm taking what you guys said and I'm not gonna depend on a vote to determine a team for battling each gym leader. I could do both a cheese run using my own team meant to counter bullshit as well as a voted-in team in separate battles as a compare&contrast (using hacked-in Rare Candies for the voted-in team for sanity reasons), but I'd expect everybody here to want me to just use the cheese tactics anyway.

From what I've seen so far, this game doesn't deserve anything less than full cheese.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I agree about shorter updates, but I kinda like having them off-site. As long as the links are noticeable, it makes it easier to follow conversation in a thread and avoids the load-fest that can occur when updates outpace other posts too much and all wind up on one page. Is there a reason folks don't do that normally?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 13, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It really depends on the game. From what I recall in FFX-2 they're very useful once you figure out which ones stick to which enemies, and in FFV they absolutely wreck various bosses, though in that game there's enough ways to absolutely wreck bosses that it really only matters in Four-Job Fiesta runs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, my comment was on games that do status effects as useful/not being very game-dependent rather than "FF games do this" or "modern games do that". FFV is "all classes are brokenly good, some are more broken than others" (which is what makes its replayability so good for Fiesta runs) and status is a part of that, other games require status abuse (SMT games, particularly if you include elemental weakness/etc in that category; a lot of the Dragon Quest games to a lesser extent) and some of them have status effects that are more trouble than they're worth (FF6, in part because Blind is actually broken to do nothing). The frustrating thing is that many games don't convey which rules they're operating under, and the effect of some statuses can be subtle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Falconer posted:

Speaking of evasion, it's possible to overflow the evasion stat to where it wraps around to near zero by having too much agility along with a high-tier shield equipped and a high shield level. So, FF2 inadvertently penalizes you for having too much of a good thing.

In FF Mystic Quest, you could kill the final boss with healing due to overflow values. Only with your companion though, your hero's magic was so strong that it would overflow twice and go back to healing the boss. Or maybe I have those backwards.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

DP managed to pull it off mostly because the bad guy team was really silly and most of the NPC realized that and gave them poo poo for it. It was a world-saving plot but it never felt quite that serious, a good decision IMO.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere on these forums that the guy who did the translation into English was a goon so maybe that was a factor as well; the Galaxy Grunts and Looker managed to lighten the atmosphere pretty consistently.

Douglas Dinsdale was the goon translator from the start until (but not including I believe) Platinum. He's responsible for "I like shorts".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My money's on "just one personality but likes messing with people."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's six giant squirrels with a ring of levitation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FPzero posted:

Referring to your fangame as "Nintendo Hard" does not mean you have full license to be absolute bullshit with it.

Half the old games that gave rise to that statement were bad game design from people who didn't know any better, so they're just staying true to form.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

It's not so much "didn't know any better" as it was "were handcuffed by console limitations" and "half of them were arcade ports".

Nah, that was the other half.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hau had such wonderful enthusiasm and just wanted to see great battles, regardless of who wins. He's gonna make a good starter island Kahuna someday with that attitude.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

Basically Absolute Virtue was a superboss that's bullshit hard and anytime someone figured out a way to beat it, Square bans the players and change the boss's code to make that method no longer applicable. Granted, one method was using stack overflow errors, but more or less it's a boss Square would not allow anyone to beat.

I've lost track of what actually happened in that clusterfluffle and what was hyperbolic rumor. Did they actually edit things mid-fight to shut off one strat?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They approached the MMO problem of "we spend years on new content, and then people kill it 24 hours after launch and whine about wanting more stuff" (a problem to which I don't think there's ANY good solution) and "solved" it in the worst possible way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

In fairness, edgy, tryhard poo poo is basically the norm for fanfiction in general

Where's that drat fourth chaos emerald?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think the intention behind One Sin is that it switches to whatever element you attack with. So two guys trading blows keep hitting the weak point, while a third is going to force the players to switch elements. Haven't read the novel though so that may work or be directly contradicted.

• Locked thread