Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the new shiny sprites for the starters are (mostly) pretty rad and an improvement over the real ones.

Also:

LAY-ZX posted:

I'll throw another vote into the pile for dark-haired girl named Enoby, but with a shiny Snivy named Dracula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

LightningKimba posted:

I just want to battle and hang out with my cool friend Barry, is that so wrong?

Barry's the coolest and best rival so there's nothing wrong with wanting that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

EDIT: Nevermind, I can't read words. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skarmory+Blissey were the absolute worst part of GSC competitive way back in the day.

Those two together with Curselax. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zuzie posted:

I feel like the starters of each generation is slowly getting away from "kaiju"-like to more like taking design cues from Dungeons and Dragons character classes. This is especially noticeable with the Gen VI and VII starters: Chesnaught and Incineroar are bulky fighters (one is a Knight, the other a Wrestler), Delphox and Primarina are waif-like mages (Delphox is a witch and Primarina is a songstress) and Greninja and Decidueye are thieves (a ninja and archer respectively).

I really hope Gen VIII continues this trend and bring along a grass mage, a fire thief and a water fighter.

Gen VI was intentionally made as the warrior/mage/rogue trio. There's an interview somewhere talking about it.

Gen VII seems more to be based on types of entertainers, a singer, a wrestler, and a trick archer.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That could apply to nearly every one of the anime/manga in the 'players inside an MMO' genre.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I like the monkeys. :(

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a reason that they were the least popular Pokemon when a popularity ranking was done. I believe Pansear was ranked dead last with 1 vote.

Edot: I'm wrong. It's Simisear in dead last, but unknown number of votes

That was a biased poll though. It was Japan-only, and the Pokemon that won the whole thing was going to get a special event version released.

Most people weren't voting for their favorites, they were voting for rare and harder to obtain legendaries.

EDIT: https://www.polygon.com/2016/6/7/11878224/most-popular-pokemon-top-100-list

Granted, Greninja is still in first place. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Magnemite is there because of his use in Black 2/White 2. He's became sort of a Japanese meme based on that.

quote:

In Generation V, Magnemite was the most traded Pokémon on the GTS. This is probably due to what is known as the Magnemite chain/coil: a scheme by which players could increase the number of visitors to their Join Avenue in Black 2 and White 2 by trading Magnemite on the GTS. The scheme originated with Japanese players and became popular worldwide.

• Locked thread