Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

LAY-ZX posted:

These are both so wildly opposed to my perception of Game Freak that I'm looking at their logo and I still kinda don't believe you.

The jockey think looks adorable though, I'm getting it.

This conversation is reminding me that it's sad that Game Freak's best non-Pokemon game, Drill Dozer, never got a sequel or continuation of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm trying to think if there's an actual pokemon bulkier than this monstrosity and I don't think there is. I mean there are a few special and physical walls that can individually do either of those jobs better but 100/200/160 with Filter is just some stupid nonsense.

Oh look a fully evolved Klinklang that's 10 levels higher than your current level cap :effort:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

They probably thought they were being kind and merciful by giving it Mega Drain and Vine Whip instead of any of the nastier grass moves.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Well gently caress. :psyduck:

Really, though, it'd be a smidge fairer for the player if they'd made it, say, Grass/Steel (like you'd probably be lead to believe from it's sprite), if only because having a 4x weakness would make it at least something approaching feasible to beat inside of Reborn's rules without some insane luck.

Honestly I think just getting rid of Mega Drain and giving it, I don't know, Magical Leaf or something would go a long way to cutting down on how nonsense it is. Being guaranteed to go second every turn in a 6v1 is an actual weakness and, assuming no Mega Drain, even with that level of bulk a properly setup team with enough time to get the requisite debuffs going early should be able to reasonably chip away at it.

This is assuming, of course, that the slate of mostly middling pokemon we've been saddled with thus far are even capable of executing such a game plan.

EDIT - And obviously the real solution is to redo the entire encounter from the ground up with less stupid stat distributions and other unfair BS but I want to at least try to be charitable to the idea that their crazy design decisions could be not quite so crazy with just a little tweaking rather than an intense overhaul :colbert:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 26, 2017

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's just three regular guys but two of them are stealthily standing behind the other one making it look like there's only one of them.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

All of the grass starters are bad. Even the good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Even if the idea is to provide a challenging experience, this game makes the fatal mistake of trying to punish the player for not playing the game the way it wants to be played, when what it SHOULD be doing is rewarding the player for playing the way it wants to be played instead.

Like, imagine if instead of of what amounts to a hard level cap that greatly limits your flexibility, there are instead level "guidelines" or something of that nature where completing gyms under those restrictions grants you additional bonuses, like special held items that would otherwise only be available later or more powerful TM rewards than what you would normally get just winning via power leveling. That's just one possibility off the top of my head but there are many things of that ilk you can do if you get a bit creative. You give powerful incentives for the player to handicap themselves and play "fairly" (though this game's definition of fair is suspect as is) without making it an annoying frustration just to advance.

• Locked thread