Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Zore posted:

People who's 'starters' disobeyed them at Misty probably got one traded over, or they're misremembering.

No. This happened to me on two occasions in Red, both definitely without trading. I Levelled my Charizard to 50 before taking on Lt. Surge via sequence break and it stopped obeying me mid battle. Years later I emulated the game and cheated in rare candies to get a lvl 50 Nidoking from the start, and the same thing started happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Serperoth posted:

But then again, in Gen II, there's a mismatch with numbers that makes a ball more effective against Pokemon that evolve using Burn Heal, so who even knows

Just to clarify this for those who don't know already, there are no Gen II pokemon that evolve via burn heal. However, the Moon Ball is supposed to see if the target pokemon can evolve via moon stone... but due to a programmer error, it checks for burn heal instead. So the Moon Ball always acts like a normal pokeball and never has any additional effect.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

How much would Gamefreaks have had to take out to put those safeguards in?

Like others have said, it's extremely hard to say, but we can at least look at what is available to take out in the first place. From a purely "Defeat the 8 Gym Leaders and Elite Four" point of view, you could probably hack out Diglett Cave, the SS Anne, and Safari Zone right away for being completely optional, save for the placement of the Cut and Surf HMs (which could be changed). Beyond that, there's not much that immediately comes to mind that could be completely removed without altering the core of the game somehow. Taking out the Team Rocket plot would have the problem of changing why you can't challenge the Gym in Viridian right away. Reducing the number of Gym Leaders would make the game feel less expansive. So it might well be that they couldn't have removed enough stuff to actually fit the sanity checks in anyway.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Bydoless posted:

It's weird that they allowed you to get 'mons with an easy way of stockpiling good items literally in the first patches of grass you can encounter.

Gen 3 did it first with Zigzagoon. Literally the grass outside the starting town.

That "trainer" battle music really grates on my ears. it's a mutilated slow version of the Hoenn Gym Leader/E4 theme. Who though this would be good Trainer music?

Also... We arrived on a train, had an explosion, and are now wandering around the slums?

gently caress, this opening is right out of FF7.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

People who want everything to be DS Hard don't understand difficulty.

Fixed that for 'ya.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Bydoless posted:

I'd expect everybody here to want me to just use the cheese tactics anyway.

We wanted to see this game destroyed after the first update. It does not deserve to get your suffering through it. Blow it wide open and just explain how the battle was supposed to work normally.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

BlazeEmblem posted:

Of course, the people who think that this stupidly edgy game is a good idea are also likely the ones who complain that the battle tower is unfair.

...how far of a rabbit hole is it to ask how the Battle Tower is unfair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Silver is actually my favorite of the rivals; he has the deepest character arc IMO. He starts out being single-mindedly focused on beating everyone else because he deems them as "weak", but after losing to you time after time, and eventually getting his metaphorical poo poo being thrown back in his face by Lance, he slowly comes to have enough respect for his pokemon to friendship-evolve a Crobat. But until then, he's not just on the same journey as you, he's literally battling with you because he thinks you're in his way. I also just learned a few days ago that's he's Giovanni's son, which blew my mind and means so much about him makes so much more sense.

• Locked thread