Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009

senrath posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if all that people remember of Gary is him showing up in a car with cheerleaders and gloating over Ash.

Confirmed! This, Team Rocket's poem, charmander nearly dying in the rain, and Ash crashing the bike he stole are the only bits I remember of the cartoon. Which doesn't reflect that well on Ash, come to think of it.

Popular memory of famous characters seems to drift away from the original over time. Star Trek's a good example: everyone remembers Captain Kirk as this womanising space cowboy, when he was never anything but an officer and a gentleman. Then the new film series came along and made the cheating scoundrel fan-Kirk official, and the trekkies all cheered, because it's exactly how they remember him.

I think it's just because exaggerated stereotypes are easier to remember, and usually more fun. Rival Blue isn't as memorable as Gary Motherfucking Oak, the guy who kicks you when you're down and looks good doing it.

People do this to historical figures, too, but :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread