Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Echo Cian posted:

Of all the problems with this game already, this incomprehensible atrocity that you claim is a map is what got to me. What even is this?

What is it? It's horrifying, that's what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Solumin posted:

But then there's things like Focus Energy cutting your crit chance instead of increasing it. That's just oversight.

I know development standards were different 20 years ago, but seriously, that should have been noticed.

Even now it's stupidly hard to notice that someone typed in / instead of * by mistake. That kind of bug is actually one of the hardest to figure out if you don't have the resulting numbers staring you in the face at any point.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Bruceski posted:

They approached the MMO problem of "we spend years on new content, and then people kill it 24 hours after launch and whine about wanting more stuff" (a problem to which I don't think there's ANY good solution) and "solved" it in the worst possible way.

There's no real way to "solve" it but you can mitigate the problem by making content that's engaging enough to make people want to repeat it and rewarding enough that they're not just wasting their time. This is, of course, far harder than making an unkillable boss that appears to be killable.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

I know Pokemon LP threads have been notorious for derails, but I found the FFXII/Wildstar train of conversation fascinating. I didn't know that there were developers that hate players that much.

There are plenty of them, but they typically show up on smaller projects and fan works rather than AAA games.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, larger teams are usually better about saying "No, that's stupid. We're trying to make money here, not piss off everyone who might pay us."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh boy, I should tell you folks some stories about Warframe and its devs sometime. Or better yet, let me get Malachite in here again. He'll provide a more appropriate amount of bile to the telling. :v:

On the topic of the actual game being LP'd, so far this has been... an experience. Yes, certainly an experience. :psyduck:

I play Warframe. I'm aware of the stupid poo poo they pull off. Hence the usually.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

People think Blue is malicious because they're confusing him with Gary Oak from the anime who was actively a dick to Ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Gary is also barely IN the anime as it was. To the point where he doesn't have a real fight with Ash until Johto, and while a Prick, he, again, never actively gets in Ash's way. He's just smug. And after the OI filler, he congratulates Ash on his victory there.

In short, Gary is in like... 10 episodes? In a 50+ episode season? And while he's a smug rear end, he's never a hindrance, and in fact often around for his own things. It seems more like everyone only remembers "Gary was here, Ash is a loser." From the sign in the early seasons and that's literally the entire character.

I wouldn't be surprised if all that people remember of Gary is him showing up in a car with cheerleaders and gloating over Ash.

• Locked thread