Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I had the 'starter disobeying me' thing happen in Red/Blue, too; that was a fun thing to see in the middle of the Misty fight :shepicide:
gently caress Starmie forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Or a few hours level grindin' and :killdozer:ing her entire team.

I say that, but it's been so long since the last time I played I can't remember how I beat her. I do remember that her drat teleport dungeon gym was more annoying than her actual fight.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Everyone considered that one guy whose name escapes me at the moment a literal wizard for the longest time for not only figuring out how to more efficiently pack the data onto the cartridges for Gold/Silver/Crystal, but doing it so efficiently that they could have not only the entirety of the new setting, but all of the previous region as well.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I didn't say he was a nobody, I just said his name escaped me :v: I'm terrible at remembering names.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I've always kinda wondered how it would turn out if they redid R/B/Y like they did ORAS, the older story and setting with modern tech and programming. Would it be just as good, or would it lose a certain something without all those bugs?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That's boring as hell, though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Another fan game that looked at Dark Souls and only got the surface impression of "players like being punched in the balls relentlessly, right? CAAAN DO!" without even trying to understand why it worked for DS.

People who want everything to be DS Hard are a blight.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

What, no mention of the multiple almost-rape scenes in the first episode?

That's just kind of assumed for Berserk, I thought.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

the Orb of Zot posted:

Considering that I know of people who consider Uranium to be better than Sun/Moon just because they felt that Sun and Moon moved too far from the Pokemon formula by ditching gyms and ditching HMs, apparently yes.

You associate with some people who have some incredibly bad and wrong opinions, then; removing HMs was the best thing they could possibly have done, and god forbid they experiment with the formula and make it focus more on the story and less on the gyms!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Team Skull is both the stupidest and the smartest team of the entire series. "Hey, protagonist! I just watched you blast through two other Skull members! I'm not even gonna try to fight you, go right on through, I don't get paid enough for this poo poo."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Let them get it out of their systems, it's either here or in D&D

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Insofar as NPC trainers only get like 2 or 3, if I recall correctly. There was a lot less screaming "WILL YOU STOP loving DOING THAT?!" during my playthrough, I know that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

E: beaten, and in much greater detail, by the post above mine.

There are dumbasses on these very forums who have defended the devs behind the Absolute Virtue clusterfuck, if you can believe it.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 4, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

It wasn't a cutscene boss. Absolute Virtue had a random chance of spawning after killing another specific boss. (Nowadays it's guaranteed to spawn, but not when it was first released.) Absolute Virtue didn't have a grand entrance indicating that it was meant to be unkillable.

So even its introduction was a great big "gently caress you!" to the players. Holy poo poo.

E: Was this C-Team of devs who hosed up AV and then the first iteration of FF14 fired from Final Fantasy games or from Square-Enix entirely when they got sacked? I hope the latter.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Bulbasaur in Gen 1 was 'easy mode'. Real Players took Charmander :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Red Metal posted:

Between Geodude & Onix's piss-poor Special stats and their lack of Ground/Rock moves at that level, beating Brock with Charmander really wasn't that much harder than with Squirtle/Bulbasaur.

Brock, no.
Misty, on the other hand :shepface: and that goddamn stupid CHEATING BASTARD STARMIE

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I didn't like Incineroar in SuMo. Litten and Torracat were both cute and good, but the sudden change into a noodle-limbed fire luchador was just too drastic for the third evolution. Mind you, I'm judging solely by appearance, not utility.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh boy, I should tell you folks some stories about Warframe and its devs sometime. Or better yet, let me get Malachite in here again. He'll provide a more appropriate amount of bile to the telling. :v:
i am summoned

I don't exactly have an encyclopedic knowledge of the poo poo that DE (and DE_Steve in particular) have done, but I can recount some of the bigger moments of assholery. Warframe, for those of you not in the know, is essentially Anime: The Game. My avatar is from it; you play as a titular Warframe, a space ninja bouncing around the solar system cutting a huge swath through hordes of mobs and exploding the occasional Fomorian space battleship. Sounds like it should be awesome, right?

Well, it is, for the most part, but that's in spite of their devs, not because of them. About the only thing they've done that is absolutely beyond reproach is their sheer dedication to making sure the game is as optimized as possible; my previous computer was an incredible piece of poo poo that had a Radeon HD 5450 and 4 gig of ram, and I could *still* play this game on High settings. And it is a very pretty game, y'all.

To start with, DE_Steve is a manchild. I mean he has had actual shitfits on livestreams when people call him out on things- the most often talked about example, and my personal favorite, being when syndicate weapons were first introduced. For whatever reason, he hitched his wagon to the Rakta Ballistica.
Thing about the Rakta Ballistica is, it sucks. Really, really hard. Steve went on to passionately defend it- for all of thirty seconds before DE_Rebecca, the community manager (and also the only member of the Dev team who actually plays their own loving game) shut him down.
:reject:: "I think you're being unfair. If you take into account the status proc-"
;-*: "The Synoid Gammacor* has a proc, too, and it can actually kill things."
Steve proceeded to sulk for pretty much the rest of the stream. Three days later, the Rakta's damage was buffed by 3x, and the Gammacor's damage and ammo consumption were nerfed by about the same amount. Surely, the most innocent of coincidences!
*Also a syndicate weapon, introduced at the same time. The Rakta still sucks incredibly hard even after the buff.

Then there was the debacle with Vacuum. Vacuum is a more-or-less required Quality Of Life mod for your sentinel, that hoovers in nearby items for you to collect because the default pick-up range is really, really goddamn tiny. The issue at the time was that Vacuum could only be used by one sentinel, Carrier- which led to DE scratching their heads at 99% of the playerbase using only that sentinel ever, only switching to new ones to level them for mastery and then swapping right back. We'd been begging them to make Vacuum a universal mod for years- so, hey, let's do that!

Except not- let's split it into three mods, one for ammo, one for items, and one for energy/health orbs! The, uh... the players didn't react well to that. So they nixed that, and made it universal- but it would have like half the range. Again, the players were less than pleased. Fine! Universal! Every Sentinel can use it, you unpleasable bastards!...
Except someone did the math and instead of the range being 11 meters, it's 10.5. Steve just could not let it come to pass without the pettiest of nerfs.:mmmhmm:

Speaking of doing the math, DE_Steve also hates Datamining. Oooo, he hates it. He went on a screaming fit on the forums the first few times it happened, claiming it was theft. How dare we look at the files they put on our computers! What do you mean 'just don't put upcoming files into the game if it's not out yet', away with you and your logic. This came to a head recently when DE actually served the most prolific dataminer a Cease & Desist and demanded he take down his accumulated information- information that he had used to let them know about bugs in the past, and about drop rates that were wrong... y'know, poo poo they couldn't be trusted to do themselves. They're still getting chewed out by the forums for it, last I checked, and they ended up having to publicly release their drop tables anyway to stay in accordance with some Chinese gaming law.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, it's 3 in the morning, but that's the gist of it. DE_Steve is a pettiness elemental.

E: Oh yeah, I forgot one thing. From time to time they introduce weapons that you have to Research in the clan dojo; the most recent example is the Hema that was introduced with the Nidus Warframe. Well, someone fat-fingered the number, and the research demands 500,000 Mutagen Samples. "So go grinding", you're thinking, right?
Well, on a really good day, you're lucky to get 50 Mutagen Samples from a single run. Now, the Goon clan is a Moon clan, the largest size they can be- and between all our active members, we still didn't have enough to set the research going. It's currently sitting somewhere around 240,000 samples yet to go. That's after tens of players who had been sitting on mountains of samples accumulated from *years* of playing had donated every single one they had.
DE's response was: "We don't want to reduce it, as that would be unfair to the clans who have already managed to research it :downs:"
See, smaller clan sizes don't have to gather as much resources to research- I believe it's a straight 10x the base amount for Moon clans. The problem is, this isn't the first time they've hosed up a resource number, and they were more than happy to reverse it before; this is just them not wanting to write another refund script :argh:

E E: I've also been told I forgot one of the things the datamining revealed: that one of their more hyped up additions, a new melee stance for Machete-type weapons, did not drop at all. It'd been in for a month and not a single player had managed to get a copy yet. Similarly, Health Orbs have not dropped in the game almost since the start. Energy orbs drop just fine, but Health orbs have never dropped- and DE seemed genuinely surprised when they were told they weren't dropping.
They still haven't fixed that, either.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 6, 2017

• Locked thread