Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

theGrooseofLegend posted:

So Contrary sounds great on paper, but how good is Serperior?

Decent but not super great. It really lacks coverage moves and its attack stats are incredibly low for a starter so it can struggle ( to put it in perspective, it can't reliably KO Scizor with HP: Fire without the boost).

Still its fast and tanky and once you get some stat boosts up it'll still rip through things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

... Yeah, if the pokemon was traded. Pokemon are always obedient regardless of level if you personally caught them in every official game in the series.

People who's 'starters' disobeyed them at Misty probably got one traded over, or they're misremembering. For proof take a look at any glitched speedrun of R/B where they use a level 100 Mew they catch with 0 badges and have no issues.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, if the battle is supposed to be a mildly interactive cutscene, then they screwed up by giving the boss stats at all, or at least a finite HP value. That's just invoking the Lord British Postulate ("if it has stats, players will try to kill it"). Also, didn't the WoW devs do something similar when somebody beat a boss or entered an area in a way they shouldn't have? Although I heard they were less ban-happy and tended to give the player a small reward for "helping them discover bugs" or something like that.

And if they made it look like a normal boss battle, they double hosed up. IMO, a cutscene boss battle should be obvious within the first few rounds (in a turn-based game) or within maybe a minute at most (in a real-time game), otherwise you're tricking the player into wasting consumable resources. Anything else should be winnable, no matter how difficult. Personally, I'd prefer the game let you win all battles, even if it requires a specific strategy or deep system mastery (like the second time you fight Balio and Sunder in BoF3), or is only feasible in New Game Plus (like Etna in Disgaea 2).

EDIT:

OK, maybe these guys were on Reborn's dev team.

Just as a taste of Absolute Virtue's fuckery

quote:

-The methods to curb Absolute Virtue's difficulty were officially revealed when the development team released a video with hints on how to defeat it in 2008, nearly 3 years after the battle was introduced. However, the video was heavily criticized for being too vague and not providing adequate hints on how to defeat the monster. Furthermore, said method posted was quickly patched.

-Absolute Virtue had, on several occasions, been fought and held by linkshells for over 30 hours trying to defeat it, to no avail.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, they patched their own intended solution out?

What.

Yeah.

Like I said, everything surrounding Absolute Virtue is an exercise in hating that players.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Its also probably better than non-Contrary Serperior. Serperior has a lot of dubious honors like 'lowest combined offensive stats' including the second lowest Atk/Sp. Atk of any starter. Or its incredibly awful movepool.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

I know! I know! The left one is Charizard because it mentions the Special stat!

Seriously, though, the Gen 2 starters are kind of boring in terms of pretty much everything. I don't know much about how good they are competitively, but I can definitely agree that Typhlosion's moveset is awful, having used one in HGSS.

Typhlosion has a... niche with Eruption now. Now a good niche, but its something. Meganium is just kinda generically bad.

Feraligatr is easily the best since it got a great HA, has Dragon Dance and the physical/special split helped it rather than hurt it lile Typhlosion. Its still not great, but its a solid physical water type.

• Locked thread