Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RyuHimora posted:

No. This happened to me on two occasions in Red, both definitely without trading. I Levelled my Charizard to 50 before taking on Lt. Surge via sequence break and it stopped obeying me mid battle. Years later I emulated the game and cheated in rare candies to get a lvl 50 Nidoking from the start, and the same thing started happening.

Yeah same here, I cheated in rare candies during a playthrough and my Blastoise stopped obeying me not long after the second gym to the point where eventually I had to restart the whole game. I'm guessing this is a glitch though as I've done the same thing in other gens and never had a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Golux posted:

It's possible that the cheating method used to get the candies in also altered either the pokemon's OT or your ID Number somehow.

True, but I did this early on and had no problems until after I beat Misty. As I said, Gen 2 onwards doesn't seem to have this problem at all so I'm guessing it was probably a combination of the cheat I used and some kind of glitch in the game's code (or an issue with the rom I was using as I remember using the MissingNo glitch to rare candy my team up to 100 in my copy of Pokemon Red and never ran into this problem there).

So yeah, not sure of the cause but non-traded Pokemon disobeying you does happen (but only in Gen 1 it seems).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sorites posted:

This. The Gen 1 games saved cartridge space by completely skipping all sanity checks.

Most games always have a few background processes which, in short, go like this:

And then they'd crash on purpose rather than continue allowing nonsensical poo poo to happen.

Gen 1 Pokemon games didn't do this at all, so they'd only crash if the Game Boy itself couldn't handle what was happening. So we get all kinds of in-game weirdness instead of just a game that crashes all the time (which is what it would have been, if they'd shipped it as buggy as it came but with the standard sanity checks programmed in).

So is there a reason why the first generation of Pokemon games were such a buggy mess (such as rushed development, inexperienced programmers, that sort of thing)? As considering the glitches I've read about and/or experienced myself it's a small wonder that the game even worked at all.

• Locked thread