Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Ahh, this game. This loving game. On top of all the many, many things we'll no doubt see in this LP, it is a game that actually retroactively adds more fake difficulty with each update. I have a few stories to tell at relevant points if anyone cares (I wouldn't) but otherwise I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the unfolding disaster.

Incidentally, the blonde girl is the least awful player sprite, and I second whoever said to call her Sunshine. Go for protean Froakie because bullshit deserves equal returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

I made a loose (real) guide to the map. There's so much poo poo on here though that there's just no way to make it look good.

It probably doesn't even cover half of the actual playable area, though. There are extensive underground areas that probably ultimately dwarf the overworld.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

One of the things the developers of Pokemon Reborn love doing is changing what Pokemon appear in these earlier areas in later updates. Almost all of these have been from good Pokemon to worse Pokemon, to make the early game harder. Why they do this after giving you the option to pick up a Froakie or Torchic (still with the ability to start with their HAs) as a starter, I do not know. For instance, the Espurr that Bydo picked up? Used to be a Ralts. It was changed to a Gothita at a later point before being changed again to an Espurr.

Another common theme we'll see is Pokemon that may be really useful later on, but evolve very late and are a pain in the rear end until then. Like Tynamo, and Noibat. Noibat is another new encounter - the Underground Railnet originally had Zubats, but the devs didn't want players to get actual good Pokemon like Crobat too early, so they replaced it with one that doesn't evolve until level 48.

The worst case of this (so far) though, is the pair of scammers. Originally, you could, in fact, get a Magikarp here, although the guy asked for $5000 instead of another $500. Before it was changed to this...endless quest, the devs actually at one point changed this Pokemon too...to Ducklett. Presumably it is now a Magikarp again, but as stated, the quest has still not ended.

This sort of thing is what I mean by retroactively making the game more frustrating.

Terrain effects are also new, although I recall this gym still using the standard Electric Terrain before they were fully implemented. They get even more absurd from here on.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Bydoless posted:

Regarding changes between versions, was Julia's team nerfed in some way at any point in development? Her Emolga having Acrobatics but for some reason also holding a Potion that it can never use and never get rid of by itself does ask some questions.

Also, have those Lightningrod-capable Pokemon found before Julia always existed or were they added at some point?

Were you able to catch any Ground-type or Ghost-type Pokemon before Julia at any point prior to this version?

I don't remember if the acrobatics thing was there from the beginning. I never looked under the hood in the same way you are, so it could have been and I just didn't notice, or it could have been nerfed at some point before I started playing (the first version I played was at Episode 11).

A fully-powered Acrobatics is absolutely absurd at this point even for Reborn, though, so it is probably intentional.

I believe the Blitzle was originally an Electrike, but Pachirisu and Goldeen were both obtainable at this point when I played. However, there were still no obtainable ground or ghost types at this stage. I think there was/is an NPC somewhere who even mentions this, just to rub it in.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

That Scraggy gang is one of the few good things about this game.

Also, I hope you like those vines, because you're gonna be seeing them for awhile.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

The Pulse forms are new. When I played through this part of the game, I fought an ordinary Tangrowth here.

The game is worse for this addition. Pulse forms invariably look like rear end.

"TMX" is also new. What the hell is going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Zakrelo posted:

Was Fern always this assholish? Feels like it kinda came out of nowhere...

No, he just gets worse every time he shows up.

• Locked thread