Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

She's the third boss, counting the tutorial fights with Shadow Yosuke and Shadow Chie. But Shadow Chie occurs in the Castle, so even if you generously count the liquor store as a "dungeon", she's only the second. You can't go back to the room that was created for Misuzu, and there are no fights and everything happens in a cutscene the only time you're there, so that one can't count as a dungeon even by the loosest of definitions. At least there's two fights in the liquor store and you can go back there afterwards (only to get a weapon for Yosuke, though). Really, though, I'd count her as the game's first boss, because like I said, Shadow Yosuke and Chie are tutorial fights designed more to teach you how to play than to challenge you. Shadow Yukiko is the first time the game really tries to kick your rear end - and even in her nerfed Golden form, she can still do it fairly easily.

This. For the first actual boss Yukiko is bullshit. Elemental nullification, powerful attacks, summoning minions who are drat beefy. You're also strapped for cash and resources since, again, it's the first real dungeon in the game and you don't have the levels or money to go nuts with Persona fusion.
Her Golden version is much more reasonable, and it even has an amusing gimmick since you can make her waste a turn by scaring her minion off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I still can't get over the so-mature swearing in the dialogue. It's so unlike anything pokemon ever does.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Let them get it out of their systems, it's either here or in CSPAM

ftfy

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We must have gotten every garvage pokemon in the series in our party at this point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

krisslanza posted:

You know, I think EverQuest did this? They had an unkillable boss, for plot reasons.

If I'm thinking of the same story, then yes, that was a thing. And players killed it. Then the devs shut off the servers to figure out what happened. It also didn't drop loot.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God this loving level limit bullshit is the worst. What a terrible loving idea. There are actually a lot o fairly decent pokemon up to this point if we could evolve them. Camerupt is pretty legit, especially since I believe it's our only ground and fire pokemon so far. Manectric is a good electric pokemon (which evolves from an Electrike at a player-insulting level of 26). We could've potentially gotten a Blissey and a Roserade too.

I'm prob missing a few, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

EDIT: We're still like 2 gym badges away from getting the most out of the possible evolutions too.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 30, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was honestly thinking something like Pokemon: Subsistence where you had to use whatever you can scrape up to overcome challenges. But of course level caps would be stupid af in that scenario. period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Playing without a functionally limitless supply of healing items does make the game a lot harder(for Pokemon values of hard), so I could see that.

I meant more like you're provided the mons people tend to ignore, like Hoppip and whatnot. So you need to figure out strategies on how to make the most out of them. And if you can't do that, then at least you can powerlevel until you can crush the competition with pure numbers. Then when you later get your Metagross or whatever it'll be even more rewarding.

Though uh, I sorta haven't touched a pokemon game since Pearl and I never paid attention to the competitive scene so I dunno how easy/hard that would be. 'Course step 1 for a game like that is to not have poo poo like that Tangrowth.

• Locked thread