Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

It's amazing Missingo got well known enough to become a playground rumor, honestly.

The infinite items in slot 6/encounter safari zone Pokemon outside of the safari zone/missing o glitch was published in Nintendo Power... I want to say a month after the game came out? I'm certain that's where I read it first, I was the only kid in my class who had a game boy, let alone Pokemon blue, so there weren't any real "playground rumours" for me to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a shame that "modern" (really, from SNES and onwards mostly) console RPGs suffer this problem. I know Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest, status effects were king later on in those games, and mandatory in Dragon Quests case.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

It's not really the case in Final Fantasy games. Most bosses have some vulnerability to status effects that is very useful.

The biggest problem is that most of them are easy enough that you don't need to.

Hence why I said SNES games and onward. The original Final Fantasy was surprisingly hard compared to later Final Fantasies (Fantasys?) where throwing out status spells on random encounters was encouraged, and Tiamat had a weakness to the Bane spell that I always see recommended to use over fighting her fairly.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

Most of the healing items got knocked down a notch in SM, yes. Hyper potions went from 200 HP to 120 HP, so Max Potions in theory would be useful for endgame. In reality you just bought more Full Restores instead.

I already see the catch.

Happiny needs a specific held item to evolve into Chansey. A specific held item that has yet to appear.

I expect it to not show up for another 20-30 updates at minimum and be the reward for another sidequest. Or another 30-40 and only be available once you get the last floor of the Department Store opened up.

Floor 11 of the department store is specifically Evolutionary items. I'm guessing it's going to cost 10,000-15,000 dollars, and possibly be misspelled/mislabeled. Also, to get the the sticker to unlock the floor, you have to go through a gauntlet of the hardest battles in the game, because gently caress you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inadequately posted:

Apparently Nintendo had the same idea.

Anyway, I thought the Mystery Dungeon games were pretty good plot-wise - darker than regular Pokemon, but written reasonably well and not too grimdark.

Didn't the second set of Mystery Dungeon games have things like someone building up your trust the entire game, just to stab you in the back, the complete destruction of time, and someone encouraging the main character to commit suicide? I mean, just saying, if done properly, you can get dark as gently caress, and still be an entertaining story that fits in with pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But then the game wouldn't be "challenging"! What are you, some kind of scrub newbie who needs decent pokemon to stand a chance against custom-built teams that have extra bullshit mechanics added in to support them? Just be happy the creator didn't give you a luvdisc as your starting pokemon!

But seriously, the thread title didn't lie when it said the game was a trainwreck.

• Locked thread