Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm neutral to the trainer name/sprite, but I want you to carry around whichever weird-rear end shiny pops up. If you're hacking a shiny, might as well make it one of the starters with insanely broken Hidden Abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I can't get over the laziness of this game being set in the "Reborn Region," with "Reborn City" as its major feature. I'm prepared to believe the rest of the writing is really tryhard, but wow, does that start things on an :effort: note.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alacron posted:

It's not a terrible idea in concept. I could see a Pokemon game, most likely a spinoff, being set entirely in and around one large city.

Of course, the names the map everything we've seen so far is not inspiring confidence.

Oh, the one-major-city thing is fine. Just... not the "name the city and region after your game name, which is not a geographical term" thing. Even Uranium managed to come up with a region name that wasn't just the name of the game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Reborn City is an ecological shithole and no Pokemon want to live here!"
*eight encounterable Pokemon in initial patch of grass, 3-4 more in most other locations, more trades/special encounters in first two zones than entire mainline Pokemon games*

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, the most absurd thing about SOS battles is attached to a different egregious feature present on the first island. That being a single patch of grass having a 1% chance of encountering a Bagon. 1% encounter chances are just dickish in general, but what's really hilarious is that you can SOS battle chain that into running into a wild and extremely low level Salamence. Because acquiring a fully evolved pseudo-legendary before you even beat the first gym equivalent certainly doesn't break the game at all.

The Tinymence is great and I will not hear it defamed. Also, let's be frank: if you have the ability to string that battle chain along long enough at a low enough level that Tinymence is relevant, you probably don't need it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

At this point, the sheer malice of Reborn is starting to get to me more than the edginess or the difficulty. Pokemon "hard mode" hacks are pretty dumb as a species, but I feel like most of them aren't this much about just making GBS threads on the MC and player as much as this is. How did anyone think this was going to be fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Petiso posted:

Well, if I remember correctly most of the main games have a school and at least once (RSE?) it's mentioned that one way of becoming a gym leader is by exceeding in one of those, four particularly gifted children from the same school becoming gym leaders is not that far fetched.

Yeah, I feel like "four of the Gym Leaders are young rising stars who all studied/trained/journeyed together" in a vacuum isn't a problem. Even "these characters are clearly the game creators' Original Characters Do Not Steal from some roleplay and have a little too much overwrought backstory" would be a forgivable sin in a fangame that was otherwise enjoyable and adequately well-written. The problem is that it combines with the game's active spite towards the player to really give off the vibe that the creators favor the NPCs and are angry at the MC, maybe resentful they even have to have a player-controlled main character in their Pokemon fangame and couldn't just release a game about their pet NPCs. (I suspect this is closer to the truth than anyone is likely to admit.)

• Locked thread