Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Sunshine the blonde girl, and her sidekick, Dementia the Protean Froakie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Asator posted:

Ahh, this game. This loving game. On top of all the many, many things we'll no doubt see in this LP, it is a game that actually retroactively adds more fake difficulty with each update. I have a few stories to tell at relevant points if anyone cares (I wouldn't) but otherwise I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the unfolding disaster.

I'd be all ears for this.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Also, it's a miracle that Gen 1 runs when you put it into your Game Boy anyways, so it running on a Frankenstein save file isn't that impressive. :P

This. The Gen 1 games saved cartridge space by completely skipping all sanity checks.

Most games always have a few background processes which, in short, go like this:

quote:

Is everything that's happening supposed to be happening? So far so good...

...wait, there's no Pokemon #000. And you can't have negative experience points. This wasn't in the game plan; abort mission!

And then they'd crash on purpose rather than continue allowing nonsensical poo poo to happen.

Gen 1 Pokemon games didn't do this at all, so they'd only crash if the Game Boy itself couldn't handle what was happening. So we get all kinds of in-game weirdness instead of just a game that crashes all the time (which is what it would have been, if they'd shipped it as buggy as it came but with the standard sanity checks programmed in).

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Silph Co and Pokemon Tower could have been shrunk, and so could Rock Tunnel and Mt. Moon. Cerulean Cave too.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Zereth posted:

Or you just fall out of the level.

Or an enemy's ragdoll breaks and it turns into that stretched-out boomerang thing.

• Locked thread