Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Throw my vote on the pile for Enoby and shiny Snivy.

This game looks like a whole different kind of trainwreck from Uranium. I can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

hopeandjoy posted:

Inexperienced developers and the sheer size of the game. Game Freak had made, like, two games before Pokemon Red and Green. One was a puzzle game and the other was a platformer and neither was for the Game Boy.

Pokemon is also a very expansive game by Game Boy standards being a very fully featured RPG.

Keep in mind that when Gen II happened and a much more experienced than Game Freak Iwata came on board, he managed to shrink down the file size of Gold and Silver enough that they could add a whole second (slightly stripped down) region.

They had made nine games before pokemon, two of them on game boy. But both of them were relatively simple puzzle games. Game Freak was founded in 1989, so it's not like they were amateurs, but they had never made anything nearly as complex as pokemon, and fitting it on the game boy was a challenge beyond their capabilities.

Game Freak is still a weirdly small company for how popular pokemon is, and they sort of do whatever they want as long as they keep making pokemon too. In the past few years they even released a couple games on steam, and a solitaire-based horse racing game on 3ds.

I dunno about the others but Pocket Card Jockey is amazing and you should play it right now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pooncha posted:

I didn't realize there was a new anime version out.

Good, keep it that way if you can.

• Locked thread