Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
All aboard the Enoby train. Dementia the Protean Froakie to make showing off the trainwreck easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Carlioo posted:

Isn't this the main reason why Psychic-types are considered overpowered in Gen 1? What with them only being weak to Ghost, a Special typing, and Ghost only having two attacks, one having fixed damage.

Due to a bug, they were actually immune to Ghost. Bug was their only weakness, but all 3 attacking moves there had like really low base power. Not that it would have mattered since Lick only had 20 BP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I agag about shorter updates, but I kinda like having them off-site. As long as the linka are noticable, it makes it easier to follow conversation in a thread and avoids the load-fest that can occur when updates outpace other posts too much nd all wind up on one page. Is there a reason folks don't do that normally?

Well, one thing to keep in mind for the test poster is that you have to keep track of all the editing links. So if you have to make a change to an update but don't have those, the update will be stuck like that.

Aside from that, I'm not really sure.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bydoless posted:

New Misty Terrain

:psyduck: Talk about feature bloat. I already have a hard time keeping track of certain terrain effects since the Tapu made them ubiquitous.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

What the hell. From a gameplay standpoint, that isn't something that would exist in an actual game (at least, not counting legendaries) because that would be so awful to fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I hate that this is all set in one city so we don't loving know where we're going, what our goal is, or how close we are. Just loving doing random poo poo.

It didn't even occur to me that we haven't even gotten out of the first city yet. This game's pacing already seems like a mess. :psyduck:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Maybe all the bosses from now on are gonna be physical attackers, which would render her useless.

Or they just forgot to replace her with a worse Pokemon or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

People tried coordinating 18 Scholars to cast Modus Veritas at the same time to kill it in one hit. MV doubled the tick damage of a Scholar's DoT spell, but halved the duration. The strategy relied upon trying to time it with server ticks such that even the halved-many-times duration would tick once and only once and deal its entire HP in one shot.

The strategy was never given a chance to be tried, sadly. Alexander came out soon after and that's what allowed players to weather the immense storm of damage and kill the loving thing.

It's also worth nothing that AV, for every kill after the first, had at least one 100% drop rate item, so that first kill with no drops, that was somehow intentional.

Honestly it just sounds to me like it was never intended to be killable, but they just didn't give it straight up invulnerability or told players that because the devs enjoyed watching them struggle or something. That's the only sane conclusion I can draw after I heard that they patched out their own "intended" solution.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

:psyduck: Why were these people allowed to make a video game? Were all of the intelligent, sane developers who made most of the previous FF games on vacation for FF11's dev cycle?

Probably because they knew that their players would riot if they found out a raidboss was actually a cutscene boss that actually had invulnerability and they were afraid of dataminers or something finding out if they set an invulnerability flag or gave him infinite HP or something like that. I mean, think of it; a raidboss is supposed to be something a lot of players spend a significant amount of time on, and in the end discovering the drat thing was actually unkillable? I'd certainly quit a game over that kind of dickery, and I'd spread the word to anyone I knew thinking of playing it. I wouldn't even be surprised if some disgruntled players tried a class-action suit, which regardless of whether or not it worked, would draw negative attention to the game. "Players Sue Over Secretly Unkillable Video Game Boss" is a headline that would sound ridiculous to most people, but might well scare away potential players.

It wasn't a cutscene boss. Absolute Virtue had a random chance of spawning after killing another specific boss. (Nowadays it's guaranteed to spawn, but not when it was first released.) Absolute Virtue didn't have a grand entrance indicating that it was meant to be unkillable.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's also Knock Off, which absolutely cripples both of them since it'll knock off the Eviolite with no way to get it back. Though it can be easy to see coming in some cases.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't know whether to dread or to look forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm just wondering, what is the point of this game? Why was it even made and who is it for?

• Locked thread