Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Also bear in mind that Gen 1 had a small budget & small/amateur devteam, so things couldn't be tested as well as they could with modern Pokemon games. And a lot of these glitches are things you either wouldn't notice in normal gameplay(how many kids are going to notice the agility/paralysis interaction?) or require unusual actions before they happen(like Missingno). It's amazing Missingo got well known enough to become a playground rumor, honestly.

Considering how popular Pokemon was, I'm not shocked. Every possible dumb thing had someone doing it, because maybe that's how you get Mew., or because you could convince your soon-to-be-ex friends to waste a weekend thinking they could get Pikablu.

The few things that actually worked spread even faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

I think a lot of it just comes down to the fact that there were very few games so ambitious on the game boy at the time, so all the stuff that seems obvious now was stuff no one knew about at the time. Not even really bad programming, it's just that when you try to make something that big and you've never done it before, poo poo falls through the cracks.

And to be fair, for all that Gen 1 was indeed complete buggy jank, I played through it about a million times as a kid and came up against something game breaking maybe once, as a result of doing something the game told me not to do, so I have to wonder, how broken are those games, really? How much of it is just that we've had over twenty years to find every tiny little weirdass thing that doesn't work quite right?

... okay, yeah, the games are pretty broken.

I'd say the glitches were, oddly enough, a net benefit for the game, at least at the time. Playground rumors of all the cool, weird poo poo in the game make more people interested, and seeing that some of them were true made it easier for them to keep spreading.

Pokemon hit a lucky island of jank, where it was stable enough to work perfectly well for just playing through and trying to catch them all, but weird enough that there was plenty of crazy bullshit to reward people who like to experiment with edge cases. Glitches were mostly "hey, lookit what I found!" as opposed to "What is this piece of poo poo?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, at least we now know the true identity of the skull knight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the friendly rivals better than the original assholes. I like having a rival character that I could theoretically get ice cream with after the Elite 4 tournament and play videogames with like buddies. :3: Hell the Gold/Silver/Crystal rival was hardcore enough, he stole his starter! That's pretty edgy...

I think it definitely worked better with Hau than the batch before him, I'll say that up front.

The thing is, the initial couple of rivals your motive was to take them down a peg. They were arrogant and sure they were better than you, you wanted to prove them wrong. The later games shifted to having friendly rivals, which meant that you were fighting people who you didn't have any particular issue with (except when they irritated you, which was never the good kind of being irritating. Less "I'm going to make you eat those words!" and more "Why don't you just go away?"). Losing was more difficult due to better mechanical balance, but winning felt like kicking a puppy.

Hau is an improvement because he goes into fights for the fun of the fight, not because he needs to win. It's pointed out by others that he doesn't have the eye of the tiger most of the time, and he's fine with that. Beating him doesn't bother him, so it flows better with the rest of the game. Where X and Y had the players destroy every hope their so-called "friends" ever had without even trying, Hau's achieving his dreams by just hanging out with the player and Lillie while having good food.

I'm fine with either the friendly rival or the "I'm going to make that smug rear end in a top hat regret being born" rival, but the game should be structured for it.

And of course, they're all better than what we've been getting here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lightace posted:

Torterra is the best grass starter and I won't hear any arguments. :colbert:

Counterargument: It is not Bulbasaur.

Other than that, though, your argument is quite reasonable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schubalts posted:

40K style GRIMDARK WAR is great because 40K itself is so over the top and ridiculous (see: everything about the Orks, and the Eldar literally partying so hard that they birthed a god of hedonism). Every fangame trying to copy it plays that poo poo completely seriously and is terrible.

And even 40K sometimes realizes that it needs to turn things down if it wants people to treat the drama seriously.

(See: The Gaunt's Ghosts novels, following the adventures of a Commissar who doesn't like murdering his men, a guard regiment with only one total murderous psychopath, and an Imperial Guard that mostly doesn't murder civilians for the crime of happening to live on a planet when Chaos visits.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, I felt like they were going for (everyone's childhood impressions of) Gary Oak without realizing that a)he wasn't in full rear end in a top hat mode 24/7, and b)RBY had so little going on that most of it was people reading too much into things anyway.

Gary Oak also had history with the player character. He was your Bakugo, so the rivalry felt like there was something beyond the mere fact he was a prick. He also was established as potentially world class from very early on. Losing to Gary wasn't a mark against you, since this was the guy who was setting new land speed records against gyms.

This jackass only just met you, so it doesn't work the same way.

• Locked thread