Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
That map screen is mystifying. I have to see how it actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

My main issue with the map is that both the quality and perspective are all over the place. That one grey mountain and some of the forest areas are sprited fairly well, but the total flatness of many of the other areas' colors make it seem like the geometry of this planet is insane. The main city in particular looks like a top-down view, but that's at odds with literally everything around it.

The idea of operating out of one major city seems pretty cool to me, though I'm sure it won't be done very well.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Gen 1 is held together with silly string and paper clips, so obedience issues would just be another for the list of bugs and weird poo poo plaguing it.

What's the thing with the special stat that image mentions at the end? It's been a very, very long time since I touched Gen 1.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Destroy all caves. A pokemon cave has never been something anybody has looked forward to.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

This game doesn't seem unforgivably bad so far. There's a lot of bad stuff sure (hilarious darkedgy tone, overdesigned city, way too much dialogue, 37 TYPES OF TERRAIN), but I think there are some good ideas here too.

I like the idea of finding a bunch of Pokemon hanging out in the world and either interacting with them for a battle, or just getting them straight on your team. While they suffer from being in the grimdark world of Pokemon, the writing for the various nameless NPCs hanging around is pretty good, and certainly way better than Uranium's board-stiff delivery. The gym leaders seem to have annoying one-note personalities, but they have those in the real games as well. They just don't have thirty pages of dialogue to slap you with, so it's not nearly as bad.

While "this terrain gives the enemy a colossal advantage because DIFFICULTY" is kinda ehhh, I actually kind of like how you have to outsmart this first gym and cheese it with lightning rod. Pokemon difficulty hacks usually give the enemies really wide coverage and huge stats, and while sonic boom is absolutely a problem, this one feels like a puzzle with an answer other than getting bigger numbers. The real games never require a strategy much more complicated than "use water on the red guy", so it's kind of interesting to see all of these lightning rod pokemon placed in the perfect spot for you to use their unique talent.

But this is all probably going to get flushed down the toilet and get real bad real quick, huh? :v:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also usually the hit rates are atrocious.

Adding onto the vulnerability thing, it doesn't help that most RPGs don't differentiate between "miss" and "completely ineffective, stop trying" for their status spells. So you never know if you should keep rolling the dice, or give up and just dump buckets of damage on their head.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Hahahahahahaha You'll wish that was what's going on

At this point, I'd honestly be a little disappointed if it wasn't the dumbest thing ever. My personal bet is on them being three people fused together via teleporter accident, to provide a dark mirror of Bill's temporary stint as a Clefairy.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I did play XY and Caleb/Serena do seem to be pretty bummed about how easily you own them, but I don't recall them giving up particularly.

I actually felt bad enough about crushing them that I went back and lost on purpose, just to see if there was any alternate dialogue.

There wasn't, of course. :v:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I'm honestly surprised they gave you a Happiny there. Isn't Blissey really good?

Seems awful nice next to stuff like Skitty and Litleo.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Even as a joke, Trubbish is probably a better grass starter than Chikorita.

Poor, poor Chikorita...

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Similarly, Health Orbs have not dropped in the game almost since the start. Energy orbs drop just fine, but Health orbs have never dropped- and DE seemed genuinely surprised when they were told they weren't dropping.
They still haven't fixed that, either.

Wait, what the gently caress? I thought them only coming from lockers and Nekros was intentional. Good lord.

Ritznit posted:

These derails about crappy devs are genuinely really entertaining. I'm really enjoying this LP, I mean it, but I'm also really happy about the larger conversation re: crappy/misguided/outright malicious devs it spawns.

I agree. The LP is great on its own, but the side conversations about all this stuff between updates is just fascinating.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 6, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Pokemon Special sounds closest and... isn't anything like that? Like it's very much still Pokemon.

:v: Most of these people probably only know of scenes like this, or the one where an Arbok totally gets chopped in half, man! That pokemon got MURDERED!

(That pokemon did not get murdered)

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's always memes isn't it? If this was held in the US, I'm sure Bidoof, Mudkip and whatever 4chan picks as its meme rep would score far higher than they should.

Finally, Tentaquil gets its moment in the spotlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Asator posted:

No, he just gets worse every time he shows up.

I cannot wait for more. :allears:

• Locked thread