Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Commander Keene posted:

Or in Matador's case, being able to hit at all; Red Capote is x4 Sukukaja, which means you suddenly have like 20% accuracy without buffs of your own. It also teaches you how effective the accuracy/evasion buffs are; watching yourself whiff against Matador for a while will make you want to get some of that yourself.

That's the case with Minotaur in IV also with stat debuffs. He's already a mean son of a bitch to begin with, you really don't need him spamming war cry and dropping your attack and defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

Yeah, Blue's just a jerk, but he's not a bad person. He mellowed with age.

Is that actually the rationale behind Bug > Dark? I know that there's a reason for every type strength and weakness, and some are less obvious than others. That's awesome if that's the case.

I personally subscribe to the idea that Bug beats Dark because it's impossible to trick something that acts entirely on instinct like an insect.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Ace of Aces posted:

I don't know, I just read it and it stuck because it's so insane.

Probably wasn't necessary to share it

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It really looks like they don't know how to lead the player with natural game design.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Is Litleo honestly bad enough to get lumped in with those two? Doesn't Sunkern have the lowest BST in all of the games?

* I've never played S/M, nor have I ever played (or considered playing) any Pokemon game competitively; I just know a few things through osmosis.

Litleo is thoroughly below par that evolves too late to be worth putting up with and Pyroar is pretty mediocre.

edit: As far as two stage fire-types go Pyroar is the third best but that's not a good indicator since most of them are either heavily leaning on one stat (Darmanititan, Magcargo, Flareon) or not designed to be heavy attackers (Ninetales). Pyroar is slightly physically sturdier and faster than Houndoom but he has garbage physical attack and his special attack is lower than Houndoom along with having a substandard movepool. So its main claim to fame is being better than Rapidash which is not exactly a big deal

Testekill fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 5, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

tunapirate posted:

Took a look at the thread that onmi screenshotted earlier, saw this quote -- looks like developers didn't use tripcodes so it could be an impersonator, but doesn't quite look that way:

why are people like this

Nobody even likes them to begin with

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Schubalts posted:

40K style GRIMDARK WAR is great because 40K itself is so over the top and ridiculous (see: everything about the Orks, and the Eldar literally partying so hard that they birthed a god of hedonism). Every fangame trying to copy it plays that poo poo completely seriously and is terrible.

See also Judge Dredd being satire.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

And on the other end of the Spectrum Ciaphas Cain, the story of a cowardly commissar who straddles the line between self-serving manipulation and genuine heroism in his attempt to survive the 41st millennium. Ignoring that 40k was initially made as a parody, after people complained about the dark setting of WHFB

It's almost like if a parody isn't explicitly funny you have to point out that it's a parody.
I mean you'd think that the Orks being.... Orks that it should have been obvious but nope Poe's law in effect.

edit: That comes out dumb, basically people don't get that someone is a parody unless it's explicitly funny. People just have a tendency to approach entertainment in shallow ways.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 11, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

It shows up in the mainline games actually. Candice and Maylene in DPPt are friends for instance, as are Volkner and Flint. Koga passes the gym leader mantle to Janine from gen 1 to 2. Juan and Wallace are master/student. Roark and Byron are related. Not to the degree of 'we were high school besties', but leaders knowing each other is showing up increasingly often in the main games.

There's a bit of difference between two different sets of friends, a father & daughter, a protege & his master and a son & his father. Meanwhile Reborn has four high school besties and roommates and two of them are also a secret lesbian couple.

Like there's a narrative pair and there's contrived bullshit. Like someone said, it's what you'd get in an RP being played by a bunch of teenagers.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 29, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

LightningKimba posted:

If anything, what could help is that one or more of these rising stars could have pursued a career unrelated to becoming a Gym Leader. Viola, the Bug GL from Kalos, has a sister who is in journalism, as an example.

It could help with world-building, or making otherwise vanilla NPCs have a reason for the player to take interest in them.

Here's my idea for them. Keep two of them as Gym Leaders, make one of them a Pokemon researcher who was more interested in studying then battling and make the final one a prodigy who went off to do her own thing after graduation. Have the final one be encountered a couple of times as a helpful character, maybe involve her in the climax of the Team Meteor stuff when you find out how much of a big shot she is but you don't actually get to fight her until the post game. She's inspired by you beating the Pokemon League and wants to get serious by travelling to different regions and facing the strongest that the world has to offer but first she wants to take you on because you impressed her so much.

I mean ideally you'd get rid of all the superficial & shallow elements of their characters but let's not go crazy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I never read it as Blue being a douche, sure he's a bit smug but he's your rival and he expects you to be really good also. But people act like he's openly antagonistic which he's anything but

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Getting Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume vibe. Which incidentally would be cool.

I get more of a Dissidia 012 story mode vibe where in order to get tokens for the special moogle shop you have to be at a certain level or below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

At least that gave us "I attack the moon!"

Or destroying the Castle of Dark Illusions levitation ring which is held in place by Swords of Revealing Light but it falls on top of the enemies monsters who can't escape due to Luster Shield.

Just... why?

• Locked thread