Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to go into such detail on all the nonsense involved with this. The terrain changes are just insane on their own, much less the context of it being with the gym leader.

I kind of like the idea of cancelling out terrains but then they don't even give you a freebie. You have a dozen different special pokemon you can get under certain conditions, if you don't want to just give away the key to victory at least put a diglett in limited time event somewhere in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I'd actually rather not vote on what pokemon you use for the gym.

You see one of the things that I really enjoyed and appreciated was not just your exhibition of the game in the first update but your strategies to skip past the game's stupid crap. I was actually impressed and enthused to hear about Pickup shenanigans, and to see how you fought stupid fire with stupid fire via Lightningrod, as well as going into what Pokemon you could possibly use to counter stuff and why the pokemon selection was trash. In short one of the things that really drew me in was your guile. Leaving it up to the mercy of the thread removes a chunk of that, I'm more interested in seeing how you counterattack against the game than seeing you struggle through it.

As for Gym Leaders with six pokemon I don't mind them eventually appearing, but having it on the first gym leader is a massive spike in difficulty especially when two of those pokemon exist for no other reason than to use Hyper Terrain Explosion. Those two Voltorbs really do nothing at all to add to the experience of the battle except maybe getting a cheap instant kill because difficulty amiright?

Yeah, the breakdown + how you handled it on your own was pretty neat and I'd like to see that keep going.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

:psyduck: Why? Why wouldn't it work if you are holding an everstone?

Electric Terrain also had this quirk. Ion Deluge applies it for 3 turns without an everstone.

I guess this game made some nonsensical change to the everstone that would make it worth holding?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PassingPie posted:

Much as I'd like to say that Game Freak has the common sense to avoid this gimmick, I'm afraid your statement is false.

In fact, to catch some pokemon in Sun and Moon you must first encounter a different wild pokemon, then reduce it to low health so it calls for help, AND the correct weather must be active at the same time. Even then, the chances of the weather-exclusive pokemon arriving to help the one you first encountered are slim. Good luck stumbling across them without a guide.

Though some how this game manages to be a smidge worse just by virute of there being multiple weather conditions. The numel here is baffling because there's 3 different types of rain and it only shows up in one of them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zuzie posted:

That's one bit of criticism I have with the storylines newer Pokemon games follow. There's a definite sense of spectacle creep in regards to villainous plots. Once the plot becomes about saving the universe, where do you go from there?

Although I do like that newer games also introduces a mysterious character who is very important to the plot but not the villain themselves (N, AZ, Zinnia and Lillie). But in order for fangames to do this, they need to know how to write an engaging character that people would be interested in... Which as you can see, they have difficulty with that.

I'd say they're willing to back off on escalation
DP was about destroying/recreating the universe, but BW1 & 2 were just world domination plots featuring fairly strong dragons. XY was a step up: world destruction plot, but still a far cry from DP's. SM was also about a similar vein at first, but then it transitions to Lillie wanting to rescue her mother and tell her off. Once lusamine steps into the ultra dimension her plans are done, everything after that is for Lillie's sake, not the world's

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

My favorite Entrainment strategy is using it with Truant Durant. It just wrecks battle facilities, or at least it did in gen 5 & I think 6. Throw out entrainment on a pokemon, switch and set up (alternating between your move of choice and protect) because the AI doesn't realize it's better to switch out, then off it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PassingPie posted:

You haven't seen their official art, I take it.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

This always seemed stretching it, especially considering Pansage is just happily having its mouth open and nothing else about the concept carries through to them

• Locked thread