Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Nonbinary blondie; don't care too much about the name so I'll jump on the Enoby bandwagon.

Totodile is the best starter, fight me.

I second a vote for Totodile (Sheer Force too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

one is dumb drama, the other is

that's more clever than the pokemon clover guys are capable of being

I think everyone can enjoy this pokemon though:
http://pgenvp.wikia.com/wiki/Lossolith

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

What's the thing with the special stat that image mentions at the end? It's been a very, very long time since I touched Gen 1.

Presumably it's about how Special was both for Special Attack and Special Defense so something with a high Special Stat would be both powerful offensively and defensively against certain types of attacks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shugojin posted:

They're​ pretty broken, but also they hold together well enough that millions of kids were able to play them the whole way through repeatedly without anything going critically wrong.

By comparison, a certain AAA company is known for releasing games with nebulous bugs that can wholly prevent progress and trigger for no clear reason beyond the game decided to say "gently caress you'.

In a funny way those game breaking glitches probably allowed a lot more kids to finish the game than if those glitches weren't there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Pokemon Clover is... something.

They had 386 slots to fill and it was 4chan supplying ideas.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair "Furnazi" is kinda clever as a pun, it's just tasteless as gently caress. Anyone ever LP'd that thing? I can't imagine what the story is about if this is where they went with their fakemons.

I can't either. Especially since there's three sets of starters in the game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PassingPie posted:

Much as I'd like to say that Game Freak has the common sense to avoid this gimmick, I'm afraid your statement is false.

In fact, to catch some pokemon in Sun and Moon you must first encounter a different wild pokemon, then reduce it to low health so it calls for help, AND the correct weather must be active at the same time. Even then, the chances of the weather-exclusive pokemon arriving to help the one you first encountered are slim. Good luck stumbling across them without a guide.

There are items that can help with this, of course, and while being at low help makes it more likely that a pokemon will call for an ally, they can and will call for help on the first turn. They only care about the weather in battle so it can be manipulated relatively easily by having pokemon that can create those weather conditions in battle and maybe a stone to keep it up longer.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 19, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

Ok, so Misty Terrain makes Sweet Kiss always hit...

...but prevents statuses.

Good game design!

It only prevents non-volatile statues: Burn, Poison (both versions), Freeze, Sleep, and Paralysis

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, the most absurd thing about SOS battles is attached to a different egregious feature present on the first island. That being a single patch of grass having a 1% chance of encountering a Bagon. 1% encounter chances are just dickish in general, but what's really hilarious is that you can SOS battle chain that into running into a wild and extremely low level Salamence. Because acquiring a fully evolved pseudo-legendary before you even beat the first gym equivalent certainly doesn't break the game at all.

It's probably just as much of a crapshoot to do the same thing via Wonder Trade since it amounts to the same thing

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Seaogre posted:

Maybe this is really off, but I think I'd like a fangame that didn't stick so hard to the Pokemon formula. Something like not going to eight gyms just because that's the standard or maybe not choosing between three starters and instead getting ten pokeballs and one slightly stronger Pokemon with False Swipe (maybe on load) and being told to basically go and catch whatever you prefer in the local area.

I think fangames can address a somewhat different audience than the official games, so you could have plots like having an actual job (like a courier or even an actual assistant to the professor) or joining an ostensibly good team and then having to fight the corrupt admins to become the new boss and reform it.

It's just, even the official games have moved away from 8 gyms. Do we really have to keep redoing this one specific plot?

There's always going to be 8 Gyms or gym like things just like there's a championship and a champion to beat. It's basically a staple part of the series and provides a useful way to benchmark the plot and adventure. theming them in things other than types would be a bit more novel like more proper upgraded Trainers with sets themed around things like Wrestling or Treasure Hunting or possibly around certain strategies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

You would need proper level scaling to start with. And even then there are movest issues. Most fixed movesets gives you flamethrower vs tackle, and just taking the highest four moves a mon naturally learns could screw over/overpower certain monsters because they werent intended to be level 5 ever.

Pokemon is routed like a traditional JRPG with levels and stats to accommodate that. To switch into open world, pretty much all of the stats, move sets and possibly even typing (or at least SE/NVE effects) would have to be completely overhauled to be remotely start to look balanced. Simplifying the move list for example would be a start.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Petiso posted:

I heard you can easily cheese it with Charmeleon as well, since it learns Dragon Rage at level 17.

The rare time when those sorts of moves are not only relevant, but potent. Also Super Fang.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

I am somehow unsurprised that they almost immediately throw something even harder than the completely overpowered PULSE Tangrowth at you, nor that the prize for killing it was *once* worth it but now just a waste of time.

Or that the game corner is a pale shell of the usual rewards (Substitute and Facade are good and worth the effort, but nothing else).

This game doesn't want the player to have fun, doesn't it.

Fun is for children and scrubs. Pokemon Reborn is for true Pokemon fans :smug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zereth posted:

Keep in mind FF11 predated World of Warcraft, and was drawing more from Everquest and such.

Japan's MMO scene seems to be heavily influenced by Everquest and such and secondary media (anime/manga depicting MMOs) seem to do the same, even nowadays.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Red Metal posted:

Between Geodude & Onix's piss-poor Special stats and their lack of Ground/Rock moves at that level, beating Brock with Charmander really wasn't that much harder than with Squirtle/Bulbasaur.

And then you go in with that mentality in FR/LG and get destroyed by Rock Tomb spam because you can't quite get enough hits with Metal Claw or Confusion

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Epicmissingno posted:

I know! I know! The left one is Charizard because it mentions the Special stat!

Seriously, though, the Gen 2 starters are kind of boring in terms of pretty much everything. I don't know much about how good they are competitively, but I can definitely agree that Typhlosion's moveset is awful, having used one in HGSS.

I remember Typhlosion being solid enough in GSC, but HG/SS is a totally different game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Apparently Nintendo had the same idea.

Anyway, I thought the Mystery Dungeon games were pretty good plot-wise - darker than regular Pokemon, but written reasonably well and not too grimdark.

Detective Pokachu never got a US release, but apparently Legendary Pictures is trying to make a Live Action film based off of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

though the third could go on strict healing duty - honestly as flawed as .hack's MMO premise is, it's still miles better than SAO's "Monsters don't respawn when killed" and hell everything is miles better than SAO

SAO sounds like it was written by someone who only read about MMOs and never played any.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I thought their design was really plain and uninspired, in addition to their lack of viability beyond the early game.

There's a reason that they were the least popular Pokemon when a popularity ranking was done. I believe Pansear was ranked dead last with 1 vote.

Edot: I'm wrong. It's Simisear in dead last, but unknown number of votes

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexie posted:

That was a biased poll though. It was Japan-only, and the Pokemon that won the whole thing was going to get a special event version released.

Most people weren't voting for their favorites, they were voting for rare and harder to obtain legendaries.

EDIT: https://www.polygon.com/2016/6/7/11878224/most-popular-pokemon-top-100-list

Granted, Greninja is still in first place. :v:

It's a web poll too so it's even more biased :v:

Chances are, most of those types of votes were isolated to the to the very high spots and even then, there wasn't enough to push perennial favorites down like Pikachu, Charizard, Eevee and Magnemite (of all things?). Then there's the fact that some of the legendaries are genuinely likable outside of their stats like the robot bug with a canon on its back, the green serpent dragon, the OG psychic legendary.

If there was US voting, I'd imagine there'd be a lot more strategic voting since I assume the competitive scene is larger here, but it might also be offset by the existence of non-competitive/non-collector fans assuming the ratio between the two groups is different.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexie posted:

Magnemite is there because of his use in Black 2/White 2. He's became sort of a Japanese meme based on that.

It's always memes isn't it? If this was held in the US, I'm sure Bidoof, Mudkip and whatever 4chan picks as its meme rep would score far higher than they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CaptianKatsura posted:

TieTuesday did a blind stream where he played around 4 matches before deciding the game is unfair, incomprehensible garbage. It's a couple hours of quality entertainment, though.

I think I got to one of the last matches before getting stonewalled by a really tough opponent when I was a kid.

There's definitely a system there, somewhere. But its mechanics are arcane and Japanese. So it probably is incomprehensible garbage, but one that's probably really exploitable because its arcane mechanics probably have shortcuts to OP poo poo. I'd have to look at that stream and try and remember what I did to see how he hosed up or how I tripped into victory.

• Locked thread