Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's pointless to speculate what they could remove without actually saying what those safeguards would be. A lot of the bugs in RBY are caused by oversights and bad assumptions, like the Old Man/Missingno glitch. The game stores your name in the wild pokemon table, and assumes the wild pokemon table will be overwritten by proper data later. But if you go to Cinnabar Island, the data isn't overwritten. Those should be fairly small fixes, though obviously I can't speak with any real authority.

The kind of serious glitches that let you read and execute anything in memory are a lot harder to catch. Those sorts of things are handled by an operating system, and there probably isn't much the game itself can do. And the GB and GBC definitely didn't have enough memory or processing power for a proper OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
But then there's things like Focus Energy cutting your crit chance instead of increasing it. That's just oversight.

I know development standards were different 20 years ago, but seriously, that should have been noticed.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

no different from the infamous Saw Glitch from FFL

hopeandjoy posted:

Honestly, there were so many 80s and 90s RPGs with things like stats that didn't do anything and busted actions that I'm not shocked some checks like this for Gen I dwell through the cracks. A lot of early JRPGs are pretty glitchy.

Yeah, good point! You just reminded me of Final Fantasy VI, which had "Evade" and "Magic Evade" stats, except "Evade" was never used for anything. This made the "Blind" debuff useless, among other things.

senrath posted:

Even now it's stupidly hard to notice that someone typed in / instead of * by mistake. That kind of bug is actually one of the hardest to figure out if you don't have the resulting numbers staring you in the face at any point.

Yes, in the wrong place, that sort of error can have subtle effects that are hard to pin down. But it should be really easy to have unit tests checking that your stat changes work the way you expect them too! And if you're smart, you'll have 2 tests: one checks that whatever stat tracks crit chance changes the way you want it to after you use Focus Energy, and another that makes sure changing crit chance correctly influences the number of critical hit rates.

But, of course, back then they probably didn't have the time or resources for that sort of testing, and even today video games are famous for doing gently caress-all when it comes to tests.

• Locked thread