Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gothy girl, named Enoby

Her starter is Godspeed You! (so probably GodspeedYou! or Godspeed You, since it's 13 characters with the space and exclamation mark), the Shiny Empoleon

I'd have loved either Contrary Serperior or Speed Boost Blaziken, but I can't resist the cheap pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I had the 'starter disobeying me' thing happen in Red/Blue, too; that was a fun thing to see in the middle of the Misty fight :shepicide:
gently caress Starmie forever

Did that happen? I thought that Pokemon only disobeyed you if the OT wasn't the same as you

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Gen 1 is held together with silly string and paper clips, so obedience issues would just be another for the list of bugs and weird poo poo plaguing it.

That's mostly why I asked, I'm well aware of Gen I's issues, but it'd definitely seem more like a bug than intentional.

But then again, in Gen II, there's a mismatch with numbers that makes a ball more effective against Pokemon that evolve using Burn Heal, so who even knows

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RyuHimora posted:

Just to clarify this for those who don't know already, there are no Gen II pokemon that evolve via burn heal. However, the Moon Ball is supposed to see if the target pokemon can evolve via moon stone... but due to a programmer error, it checks for burn heal instead. So the Moon Ball always acts like a normal pokeball and never has any additional effect.

Oh yeah, thanks for explaining that.

My point is that if I were to do it, in hindsight, I'd probably check what Pokemon it is. That's very much a hindsight thing, and only after the bug has been found though.

Not to mention that's more IFs than a single "IF target.getEvolvesWith()==69" (if 69 was Moon Stone/Burn Heal), so I can imagine that with space having been such a concern, it could have been that. Not to mention stuff not being finalized, so if they had something else use the Moon Stone to evolve originally, they'd need go change that check too, and so on.

Huh, might not even be that, actually. The Moon Ball is supposed to be working on the entire family, from the basic Nidorans, to the fully evolved ones (Nidoking/queen, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Delcatty), not JUST in the form that would evolve with the stone. Not an issue for Skitty/Delcatty, but even in Gen II it'd need to work on the basic Nidorans, Cleffa, and Igglybuff, as well as the middle Nidorino/a, Clefairy, and Jigglypuff. I can't imagine how it's supposed to be coded then, since the Nidorans evolve just with levels, but Cleffa and Igglybuff evolve via friendship.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Onmi posted:

I think for my money, Pokemon Gaia is probably the best created Fangame I've played. In fact, you can tell it's one of the best because one bit of feedback I heard from it was

"This just looks like a Pokemon game you're not doing anything special!"

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326118

It isn't finished but it plays fine.

That seems like pretty high praise honestly. FRLG, with Physical/Special split, more cool dudes to find? Sounds cool to me.

Speaking of good hacks, this discussion has been made, but, theoretically, what would be a good hack for you?
Mine would be pretty close to an actual game, with QoL improvements (like the EV training freebies in Uranium), maybe a few well-done "custom" Pokemon (ideally just a few forme changes and/or maybe one or two new ones), and if a new mechanic/type is in, to have it reined in and moderate rather than it being a MAJOR part of the game.
Instead of Uranium's Nuclear-type, maybe having one two-part evo line for example, representing nuclear fallout/waste (a la Koffing/Weezing, Grimer/Muk, Trubbish/Garbodor), and have its ability as a gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I meant more like you're provided the mons people tend to ignore, like Hoppip and whatnot. So you need to figure out strategies on how to make the most out of them. And if you can't do that, then at least you can powerlevel until you can crush the competition with pure numbers. Then when you later get your Metagross or whatever it'll be even more rewarding.

Though uh, I sorta haven't touched a pokemon game since Pearl and I never paid attention to the competitive scene so I dunno how easy/hard that would be. 'Course step 1 for a game like that is to not have poo poo like that Tangrowth.

The first bit does sound interesting, but from the looks of it, this game did just that, and when people actually did make the most out of these mons, the devs changed them to (even) worse ones.

The competitive scene is a whole other game imo, stuff that would be subpar in the single-player game get to shine (Stealth Rock etc), there are no items, no powerlevelling etc. And trying to balance a game like that around competitive scene situations would make for a clusterfuck, with all the hidden information and player unpredictability that would exist (both in terms of movesets/items, and in the player's actions in the fight itself)

• Locked thread