Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
One thing I noticed is that, out of the 37 wild Pokemon available this early on, they're almost all extremely weak Pokemon lines rather than stuff you actually want to use (Noibat at least evolves into the fastest dragon type in the game, and Blitzle is usable). And deliberately going out of the way to make it impossible for you to have a ground type unless you traded one in from online or picked Mudkip and evolved it until after you've beaten the first (electric-type) gym is nothing but absurdity.

Also, slamming right into a full team of 6 on the first gym leader is beyond rude, even ignoring the terrain bullshit at work. Pokemon games never have more than 5 Pokemon on a gym leader (until post-game rematches); even the Elite Four tops out at 5 until post-game rematches. Having a major trainer with 6 Pokemon is usually reserved only for the Champion in modern Pokemon games.

If this was based off of Gen 7 you just know that Wingull wouldn't be here (since Pelipper gets Drizzle as a possible ability in SM).

EDIT:
Ok, I actually laughed at seeing shiny Arbok having a nuclear symbol on the chest (since Uranium has a literal Nuclear Arbok and couldn't even get that part right).

EDIT 2:
...why are there 16 gym badges rather than 8? Wouldn't that just make the game drag on for an eternity (especially since judging from the level restrictions for each badge that the final fights are going to end up hitting the level cap)?

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

AmewTheFox posted:

(mind you, I don't think that Reborn lists itself as an ultra-difficulty game, unlike TH Insane, though I suppose comparing the two is a wash, because at least Reborn won't have you run through a tree-forced-encounter maze as the first dungeon, in lowlight)

:magical:

And I thought the horror stories about this game and Rejuevenation regarding the difficulty were horrifying.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

does that thing use a loving Unown for its eye

I have so many questions.

Why the hell do we need to already up the ante like this? A regular Tangrowth at this point would still be a pretty tough fight if you hadn't picked a fire starter (because of how lovely your team selection is right now), why make it even stronger?

Why is it called PULSE rather than something like "Mechanized", given the massive machine the Tangrowth is plugged into in the overworld map? What does PULSE even mean, assuming that isn't a story spoiler?

Why is it so completely lazy in design and spriting? Uranium's mega evolutions may have missed the mark and pretty much all looked terrible, but they at least had actual effort and thought put into the designs. This doesn't even have that going for it.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Seaogre posted:

It's just, even the official games have moved away from 8 gyms. Do we really have to keep redoing this one specific plot?

Considering that I know of people who consider Uranium to be better than Sun/Moon just because they felt that Sun and Moon moved too far from the Pokemon formula by ditching gyms and ditching HMs, apparently yes.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, there's not really much more I can add to that. Even romhacks aren't that sadistic.

100/200/160 defenses is more disgusting overall than everything in actual Pokemon outside of maybe 100% Zygarde, which needs to drop below 50% HP to hit that form, and then it doesn't have any double weaknesses to nail it with (and partially negates the weaknesses it has via Filter), and can heal itself via mega drain.

Making it slower than Snorlax and giving it lovely offenses doesn't make up for that, especially when you're stuck with such weak junk that those base 70 offenses are still better than what you have anyways.

Could be worse, since this fight was designed before Gen 7 released: it could have had Corrosion (which lets you poison stuff irregardless of typing) and run Toxic/Ingrain/Leech Seed/Synthesis.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell the Gold/Silver/Crystal rival was hardcore enough, he stole his starter! That's pretty edgy...

In HGSS, once you hit post game, there's a point where Professor Elm says that Silver actually tried to return the starter he stole, and Elm said "no, you keep it, it already likes being with you". That, on top of Golbat evolving into Crobat, showed that he had turned the proverbial corner.

This actually became a recurring thing in Pokemon games; Maxie/Archie in Gen 3, Cyrus (who claimed to be literally emotionless) in Gen 4, and even Lysandre (who was literally plotting the genocide of all Pokemon by the end of the game) in Gen 6 all have a Golbat that evolves into a Crobat by the time of the last fight against them.

And then there's the contrast with Ghetis, where his signature Hydreigon in B2W2 knows Frustration at full power. It is incredibly difficult to even mechanically keep Frustration at full power unless you actively try to abuse your Pokemon as much as possible, so it's another way the game shows how completely and irredeemably evil he is.

There's also the contrast with Lusamine, who goes too far in the other direction and shows what happens when you prioritize Pokemon over everything else.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

I am somehow unsurprised that they almost immediately throw something even harder than the completely overpowered PULSE Tangrowth at you, nor that the prize for killing it was *once* worth it but now just a waste of time.

Or that the game corner is a pale shell of the usual rewards (Substitute and Facade are good and worth the effort, but nothing else).

This game doesn't want the player to have fun, doesn't it.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

The Golux posted:

They did actually nerf hyper potions in sun/moon, didn't they?

Most of the healing items got knocked down a notch in SM, yes. Hyper potions went from 200 HP to 120 HP, so Max Potions in theory would be useful for endgame. In reality you just bought more Full Restores instead.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm honestly surprised they gave you a Happiny there. Isn't Blissey really good?

Seems awful nice next to stuff like Skitty and Litleo.

I already see the catch.

Happiny needs a specific held item to evolve into Chansey. A specific held item that has yet to appear.

I expect it to not show up for another 20-30 updates at minimum and be the reward for another sidequest. Or another 30-40 and only be available once you get the last floor of the Department Store opened up.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

No, they'd just remove all Pokemon who have the ability to get either of those moves from any area or event prior to their "glorious" puzzle boss.

Honestly, I'm amazed you even get an actual starter choice between every gen 1-6 starter.

Under their current design philosophy, your starter choice should be Sunkern/Litleo/Goldeen.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Heatmor, Quilfish, and "We couldn't find any grass in the city so here's a Trubbish!"

Heatmor is so bad it can't even beat an even-level 4x fire weak Durant, its theoretical prey.

Edit: Meant Heatmor

Trubbish may evolve into literal garbage, but said evolution is still better than the other two. I'd say Spinarak; Ariados is completely useless outside of Sticky Web.

Alternatively, replace Heatmor with Larvesta; this game also loves having stuff that *eventually* becomes good but is garbage until evolution and takes ages to reach evolution. Larvesta is the second biggest example of that in the series, since it doesn't evolve until level 59 (first place being Cosmog, which cannot even attack until the second evolution at level 52, but that's a Gen 7 thing and not present in Reborn to begin with)

Then every single boss fight can use Stealth Rock. Or terrain that causes all bug types to immediately faint upon switching in.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 5, 2017

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

At this point, the sheer malice of Reborn is starting to get to me more than the edginess or the difficulty. Pokemon "hard mode" hacks are pretty dumb as a species, but I feel like most of them aren't this much about just making GBS threads on the MC and player as much as this is. How did anyone think this was going to be fun?

Tt doesn't even try to be fair. For instance, take her Breloom. It's actually not evolved before it's supposed to, but it knows Spore when Shroomish doesn't even learn it until Level 40. Ignoring how you can't get Shroomish by this point because having good Pokemon at this point is illegal, you still wouldn't be able to teach it Spore at this point without unfathomable amounts of hellish grinding (to force it to level 40 even through the disobedience, and not being able to let it evolve until that point). This is also ignoring how Spore is one of the most broken moves in the entire game (100% accuracy sleep) and it's being thrown at you in a Gym at all, let alone Gym 2.

And this is still overall probably better than Gym 1, which is stupefying when you think about it.

Also, gently caress Fern. That's not even a rivalry he's trying for, he's going for actual bullying. Go get murdered by Team Meteor, you scumbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Randalor posted:

But then the game wouldn't be "challenging"! What are you, some kind of scrub newbie who needs decent pokemon to stand a chance against custom-built teams that have extra bullshit mechanics added in to support them? Just be happy the creator didn't give you a luvdisc as your starting pokemon!

I am still in shock that, with how steadfast the game is in refusing to let you have anything good, that you can still get Speed Boost Torchic/Protean Froakie/Contrary Snivy at the start of the game.

Are actually good Pokemon outside of the starters just plain non-existent?

• Locked thread