Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

General Maximus posted:

Just a note about the saving when you switch boxes thing - it actually wasn't a full save. How do I know that? Because I annoyed the hell out of my brother at one point by overwriting only some of his game with a box switch. (Before I got my own gameboy he'd let me play his but only if I started a new game and didn't save it.) It overwrote all the box and I think party pokemon, but nothing else was altered so he ended up with my low level pokemon but much further on in the game. From a certain standpoint I can kind of see the logic, why save things you don't need to when just switching boxes. But at the same time the game explicitly informs you it's saving the game, so you'd think it'd actually save the game. I'm more impressed that the half save thing somehow still results in a functioning game you can continue playing if you overwrite one save file with half of another.

This also meant that if you panicked halfway through saving and turned the game off because poo poo, I forgot this was my sister's file and I wasn't meant to be saving, it keeps your progress in the game... and turns every single one of your Pokemon into a glitch. Most of them crash the game as soon as you send them into battle, some of them just luck out into becoming the 'stable' glitch Pokemon like Missingno.

This never happened to me, but it did happen to my brother. Needless to say, older sister was not impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I think a lot of it just comes down to the fact that there were very few games so ambitious on the game boy at the time, so all the stuff that seems obvious now was stuff no one knew about at the time. Not even really bad programming, it's just that when you try to make something that big and you've never done it before, poo poo falls through the cracks.

And to be fair, for all that Gen 1 was indeed complete buggy jank, I played through it about a million times as a kid and came up against something game breaking maybe once, as a result of doing something the game told me not to do, so I have to wonder, how broken are those games, really? How much of it is just that we've had over twenty years to find every tiny little weirdass thing that doesn't work quite right?

... okay, yeah, the games are pretty broken.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Shugojin posted:

By comparison, a certain AAA company is known for releasing games with nebulous bugs that can wholly prevent progress and trigger for no clear reason beyond the game decided to say "gently caress you'.

Basically this. Gen 1 has issues - a lot of issues - but odd quirks and balance problems are way more forgivable and even kind of endearing, especially when you compare it to some of the poo poo that modern games try and pull.

I say that, but I'm enjoying the 'holy poo poo red/blue/yellow were broken as hell, what the gently caress' chat, because it's kind of fascinating just how many things managed to be broken, and in such incredible ways.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Ace of Aces posted:

I realise this is six pages old but it seems to have slipped through to the keeper.

Are you loving kidding me guys? When I was 12 and had got my paws on Ruby (my first Pokemon game) I worked out that the reason the cut tree at the south side of Rustboro is placed where it's placed is so that you can't see it respawning when you walk out and back. This is not a difficult concept, and every official game has very carefully ensured that breakable objects are never visible onscreen when you transition into the area they appear in so that you never actually see them spawning.

How loving hard is it to wrap your head around this? This honestly offends me the most out of everything so far; it's such an utterly simple concept and yet it's absolutely necessary to 'preserve the magic' of playing the game and exploring a world.

The worst part is, as far as I can tell, there's no reason for that tree to be there? It's not blocking anything, there's no doorway or area exit behind it, it doesn't look like there's even anywhere for a hidden item to be. It's a completely pointless cut tree, in the worst possible place.
Someone please correct me and say there's at least a reason for this stupidity.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

rannum posted:

This always seemed stretching it, especially considering Pansage is just happily having its mouth open and nothing else about the concept carries through to them

Yeah, it always felt like they started to make the reference, got as far as 'focus on eyes/mouth/ears' and then just... stopped.

• Locked thread