Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bydoless posted:

Unfortunately, we have to continue on

You got yourself into this. There's no turning back.

Tired Moritz posted:

Go with the dark hair girl. I suggest Ebony and the most goffic pokemon starter (Snivy?) Name it Dementia

I have no ideas of my own but I don't think anything will be more fitting than this, so I second it.

anilEhilated posted:

This looks delightfully horrible. I'm not very creative so I'll leave the voting for others, but I'd like to ask - as I'm probably not the only one here who lost contact with Pokemon after Gen3, think you could do a little information writeup for the 'mons you catch/use? Something like "This horrible monstrosity is a weed pokemon that I am never going to use since it never learns any good attacks and its stats are utter poo poo." - just so we know a bit of what's what, because the starters you've showed already seem pretty confusing (isn't Speed Boost horribly broken? what is it doing on a starter?)...

e: Wait, does the other thing mean you always get STAB no matter what? What kind of power creep has been going on in there?

Normally, the starters always have the same abilities (Blaze/Overgrow/Torrent depending on type, all of which do the exact same thing of boosting the power of their type while HP is low). There's a mechanic in newer games, "hidden abilities", which can only be obtained in special and stupid ways. As shown here, Torchic's is Speed Boost and Froakie's is Protean, which make them go from okay to insanely good and are absolutely not the thing you should give a player the moment the game begins.

And yes, Protean means that the user will always have STAB, because their type changes before the move triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zereth posted:

Or you just fall out of the level.

I have an example of that one close to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvGbbDRryeE

I'm still not sure what caused it, every other time I used that move I had no issues whatsoever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bydoless, when you were showing the sprites for the Pokemon you could catch in the slums, you put two base Primeape sprites instead of the shiny Mankey sprite.

Talking about those, who the gently caress thought that Makuhita didn't look like poo poo? I get the edgy recolours but why did they just recolour the body white and left its head and feet yellow? It looks awful.

And that PULSE Tangrowth looks awful too and the sudden caps hurt. We've moved away from that, stop bringing it back!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pokemon Mechanightmare? What the gently caress?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I still have no idea what they were thinking with POKEMON MECHANIGHTMARE. Beyond being dumb, that's a completely unique Klingklang sprite for the "trainer", a weird amount of effort considering every other Pokemon-trainer just used their normal sprite.

Also, can you put the text people say as something other than gifs? It makes reading them rather hard, at least for me. Either multiple images or just having it written would be easier than having to read at the gif's speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EclecticTastes posted:

I feel like Chesnaught doesn't get nearly enough props just because Greninja and Delphox got so much hype during Gen VI, but Chesnaught owns pretty hard, too, and Decidueye is pretty fantastic. The two most recent generations have been really on-point with their starters in general, they're some of the best in the entire franchise.

I agree with this. I've been picking Grass for a while now, despite being a big Fire-type fan, Grass-type starters have been great lately.

Honestly, I like Decidueye a lot more than the other two, so I'm conflicted on what I'll pick in USUM. Then again, I'll probably go for some gimmick run so that'll decide it for me.

• Locked thread