Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kemix posted:

Dark haired girl, Enoby, Protean Froakie This is gonna be the trainwreck that pierces the heavens isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Inexperienced developers and the sheer size of the game. Game Freak had made, like, two games before Pokemon Red and Green. One was a puzzle game and the other was a platformer and neither was for the Game Boy.

Pokemon is also a very expansive game by Game Boy standards being a very fully featured RPG.

Keep in mind that when Gen II happened and a much more experienced than Game Freak Iwata came on board, he managed to shrink down the file size of Gold and Silver enough that they could add a whole second (slightly stripped down) region.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'd say it probably wouldn't hold up; I first experienced Gen I-ish in any real capacity as a kid through FireRed and to this day Kanto is just a big ball of meh.

Nostalgia and the jank is what makes Gen I interesting. If Pokémon hadn't had so many sequels to compare the first games to, I think that Gen I looks a lot better because of how huge it is for the console it was on, but it suffers from having 20 years of sequels to compare it to.

Maybe if GF was more willing to add later features other than pure mechanics improvements, but they seem to like their remakes to be mostly faithful with only a couple of changes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Solumin posted:

But then there's things like Focus Energy cutting your crit chance instead of increasing it. That's just oversight.

I know development standards were different 20 years ago, but seriously, that should have been noticed.

Honestly, there were so many 80s and 90s RPGs with things like stats that didn't do anything and busted actions that I'm not shocked some checks like this for Gen I dwell through the cracks. A lot of early JRPGs are pretty glitchy.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm pretty sure that the RB manual says that Red and Blue were best friends but then had a falling out and Blue became a bully.

That said, Blue's never worse than arrogant and while I'd classify him as more antagonistic than pretty much every rival other than Silver, he's not a bad guy.

I would be interested in a modern Pokemon game having an antagonist rival again, but I don't think that the friendly rivals that dominate the series are bad in and out of themselves. It's just that when the friendly rivals are bland like the XY ones or Brendan/May all you really feel when you see them is "ugh forced encounter". Barry avoids this by having a personality, Hugh avoids it by having an agenda (even if it's a stupid one) and "I'm going to unleash my rage", and Cheren, Bianca, Hau, and Gladion avoid it by having actual character arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

It's an outcropping of diehard fans wanting to make games more geared to 'adult' sensibilities.
I mean even if I don't agree with it, I get it. No 20-something wants to make a fangame for 10 year olds (unless they love kids I guess).
Unfortunately none of them seem to know where 'Adult' ends and 'Grimdark edgy bullshit' begins.
And I mean 'society where open dogfighting in the streets is not only allowed, but encouraged' is fertile ground for that sort of thing.

It's not the 20-somethings writing grimdark fanfic, it's teenagers.

• Locked thread